PDA

View Full Version : VG30 front pulley/damper - Safe to Change?

TomL
04-01-2009, 01:04 AM
I've been looking to swap the very heavy front pulley/damper on my 200SX with VG30 engine for a light weight aluminum piece. I'm assuming I'd have to make my own since I've never seen commercial version, but that's ok.

However, when I see the stock piece - heavy and with a rubber ring included, I worry that the VG30 has a major torsional vibration problem. So my question - does anyone know whether the stock-style damper is necessary for engine reliability? I'd like to lose the weight and slow the water pump, but not at the cost of shortening the engine life. Anyone have experience with alternate pulleys on this engine?

Thanks

MMiskoe
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Personally I wouldn't do it. Take a look at it and tell me that it doesn't have drill holes in it at odd places to change its weight? Aren't those to balance it as part of the crank? I might be speaking out of school here, but I suspect that Nissan went to the trouble for a reason. Probably in part the same reason it has a massive carrier for the main bearings rather than individual caps.

Go look at Z31.com, all 300zx stuff, but its the same motor. Although I never followed any of the posts, I believe there are some pulleys out there that do what you are describing.

If you are looking for a smaller drive pulley there are ways of doing so w/ the stock damper.

I'm curious to hear what you find on this.

Matt