PDA

View Full Version : Gear oil for trans

benspeed
03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I've got some Red Line Heavy duty gear oil - very thick stuff. Any reason I shouldn't run this in the trans? Does not have a rating on the label. I usually go full synthetic 75-90

Want to get this stuff off the shelf

Thanks for any feedback

Gary L
03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
It just says "Heavy Duty Gear Oil", not something like "Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil"?

mbuskuhl
03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I used to run MT-90, recently switched to Valvoline 75w-90 non-synthetic. FWIW, I have heard from a few that a synthetic can be a little too slippery for the synchros. I don't know, but have been happy since making the switch, and saved a few bucks.

tklein
03-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Do not use Redline Heavy (Red) Shockproof gear oil in your transmission. As Garry L suggested it does not allow proper synchro action. I used it for about six races on a recently rebuilt tranny and toasted my synchros. Have been using Redline MT-90 for over 20 races on a salvage yard transmission and it's still going strong.

Terry Klein
ITA RX-7

tdw6974
03-26-2009, 07:02 AM
I've got some Red Line Heavy duty gear oil - very thick stuff. Any reason I shouldn't run this in the trans? Does not have a rating on the label. I usually go full synthetic 75-90

Want to get this stuff off the shelf

Thanks for any feedback
Ben, Check the Redline oil web site for additional info, We have used the Redline Heavy Duty Shock Proof in Transmission and Diff. It is sticky which to me (non Engineer type) seems like it sticks to the parts trying to lubricant. We got 17 races on Tranny and diff is fine. I suspect this is one of these many replies all different opions! Probably clean and fresh is the best bet no matter what brand. TW:eclipsee_steering: