PDA

View Full Version : 89 240sx Oil Pump

dan240
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I have an original 165k motor in my 89 240sx. Since I have heard more than once that the oil pump should be replaced on such a high mileage motor and I have to pull the oil pump anyway to replace the timing chain and the tensioners I thought I would upgrade.

I have seen reference to a NISMO oil pump for these care. They come with a metal (brass) gear. I cannot seem to find a place that sells these things.

I also found a place online that I have never dealt with that claims to sell a high flow oil pump, but I don't know anything about them.

What are you guys running, stock new, Nismo, or high flow? Where are you guys picking these up?

Thanks,
Dan

erlrich
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I run the stock pump on my car (I did install a new Nissan unit when I rebuilt the motor) - aside from the fact that I have to use the stock piece in ITA, it is plenty for this motor. Some guys will shim the spring to get a little more pressure, but I've never felt the need. The NISMO part I believe you're referring to is not the actual pump, but the drive gear and spindle. The upgraded gear is bronze, as opposed to the original which is steel, and is supposed to wear better on an engine that sees high rpms on a regular basis.

Tristan Smith
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Earl is correct about the gear drive. It's also my understanding that Nismo doesn't stock that part anymore, so it may be hard to find. The 240s came stock with the higher flow oil pump. So not sure what your source has.

dan240
03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys.

I have still been unable to locate the NISMO gear.

I did however find that an oil pump for a 280zx turbo is apparently drop in and provides some more flow. I *think* since my motor has to be a little tired by now that I might go ahead and get one. I realize this might not be legal for ITA.

Oil pump part number: 15010-S8000

If I want to just replace with original I could also shim with the following part numbers (as erlrich mentioned). I almost wonder if the 280xz pump just has been shimmed and is actually the same part.

Inner Spring: 15133-E4620
Outer Spring: 15133-22010

I just thought I'd throw the part numbers up here in case anyone cared.

Best,
Dan

GKR_17
03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
If it's not stock it's not legal.
I hear this is a common cheat on the Rx-7's also.

Tristan Smith
03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
My Nissan parts guy says it is the same oil pump. The 240sxs KA24e came with the higher flow pump, as I stated before.