PDA

View Full Version : Harness question bolt in or snap in?

tbelicke
03-21-2009, 12:20 AM
What is better? What is easier? Why?

Speed Raycer
03-21-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm sure this will turn into an informative thread!!!

I think that if they're done correctly, neither is "easier" The snap in's should be safety wired once installed, so that pretty much negates any ease of removal since you usually have to remove the seat to get to the sub straps to remove the wire (unless you're a contortionist with very small hands).

Most bolt ins I see are angled wierd and not able to articulate (kind of early so excuse me if that's the wrong word for what I'm trying to convey).

I usually remove the hardware for the shoulder straps and go for the wrap around style. 3 less things to go wrong (no bolt, clip or bracket).

joeg
03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Go with the less expensive--the bolt in.

I too Wrap the shoulder harnesses. I also use the OEM bolt holes for the car's original belts--if available and in range of where they should be for the race belts. Otherwise I weld a plate and captive nut.

Knestis
03-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I really like the fact that snap-in harnesses (tend to) self-align, so they are in tension. (I think that's what Scott is talking about.) I've seen lots of bolt-in harnesses (mostly in formula cars) where the direction of pull puts the end fitting in a weird bending situation.

K

Speed Raycer
03-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I really like the fact that snap-in harnesses (tend to) self-align, so they are in tension. (I think that's what Scott is talking about.) I've seen lots of bolt-in harnesses (mostly in formula cars) where the direction of pull puts the end fitting in a weird bending situation.

K
Thanks Kirk... yes that's what I was trying to convey.

Factory mount locations aren't always the ideal angle for the lap belt mounts. Consult your instructions for the proper angles.