PDA

View Full Version : What transmission fluid?

jdraper08
03-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm preparing my newly purchased CRX Si for the summit racing school and I need to change the transmission fluid. Problem is, I'm not sure what the best kind is to use. What do you guys use?

Xian
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I've always run Castrol 10w30... are you running a stock diff?

jdraper08
03-16-2009, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=Xian;284742]I've always run Castrol 10w30... are you running a stock

it has an OPM limited slip diff in it

RexRacer19
03-17-2009, 07:57 AM
I usually run a dino based 10W 30 in mine. It might not hurt to call OPM and ask if they specifically recommend something.

seckerich
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
No special oil needed for the OPM limited slip. Just do not add friction modifier. They prefer a normal oil. I build the units for them.

mossaidis
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
My impression is that the Honda defacto standard for D series trannies is Redline MTL. I would also check with the crew at www.d-series.org (http://www.d-series.org) (dude's online name is transzex :) - he rebuilds many IT honda trannies). Off hand, I can't speak if MTL is better or worse then regular oil in d-series trannies with an OPM LSD. Again, I would check with transzex.

I have a 92 si with Quaffe LSD and I have been using Redline MTL and Redline Lightweight Shockproof 2:1 mix for 3 years (30 AutoX, 22 track days and 12K miles - all on the same tranny) and with no problems. Smooth as a kitten...

EDIT: Transzex is "BoneSpec" on this forum as well.

trhoppe
03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Don't use Redline in the OPM/Steve diffs. I did and it turned temporarily into an "unlimited slip differential". I had to flush it twice with Castrol dino oil before it started to work again.

Honda transmission with OPM diff = Castrol 10w30 and change with the oil after every double weekend.

-Tom

RedMisted
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Whatever fill you decide to use in your tranny, don't be afraid to try alternatives if you encounter shifting problems. I have a T-5 in my Mustang that required experimenting with several different lubricants before I found one I liked. The short of it is that every tranny is different and different uses will also have a bearing on what you eventually decide to fill your box with.

bonespec
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Redline MTL has a bad habit of eating thee plastic bearing cages in the older transmissions, I've replaced quite a few mainshaft and countershaft bearings years ago.

BTW, I'm Transzex on D-Series.org, also know as Mista Bone on Honda Tech and other sites.

Most of the street LSD transmissions I've built, the owners are running Pennzoil Synchromesh without issues. I know Matt Downing is using it in his ITA car, but I don't think it would stand up to the heat of an enduro car. It is 5w30 base viscosity.

iambhooper
03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
I run Mobile 1 10w30. but any quality oil will work fine in the tranny. depending on the track, tranny's don't usually take a that much of a beating... I only make 8 gear change's per lap at VIR, certainly not an extreem amount of wear and tear.

arpenn
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
We run Pennzoil Syncromesh manual transmission fluid in our Civic Si. Works great.

ltblouis
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I always used Honda factory manual oil on my CRX.