PDA

View Full Version : MKIII Camber Plates

RHallRacing
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey guys,
Who makes the best Weld-In camber plates? While the car is getting caged, might as well weld in the plates

Thanks
Ryan Hall

chewy8000
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Weld-in's from shine racing or bolt-ins from GC.

RHallRacing
03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
thanx
looks like i have some ordering to do:happy204:

Knestis
03-11-2009, 08:38 PM
We went with the GC bolt-in units but our strut tops are giving up the ghost so will eventually need to repaired. I think I'd do weld-in plates if I were starting again.

K

shwah
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I would modify the GC bolt in plates by adding a steel sub plate, which bolts to the original main aluminum plate. I would install the assembly by welding it to the strut tower.

Lael Cleland
03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I had 4 sets of plates cut out of 1/4in for a Mk1s, I only have mk4s,2s and 1s to look at here at the shop, they would fit a mk2...... BSI ones aint so good....depending on the BRAND of brg you want, dertermans the price of the things...

The plates are the exact same shape as a MK1 strut tower top...Any one? I have a mkIII coming in friday...will look....Mine are cheep, built by racers/crazy people...

Lael Cleland
03-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I would modify the GC bolt in plates by adding a steel sub plate, which bolts to the original main aluminum plate. I would install the assembly by welding it to the strut tower.

Good point! I second that!

Sandro
03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I highly recommend the GC plates. The adjustment of camber and caster separately is great but the reason I think they are the only choice is because the weight isn't carried on the spherical bearing, but instead on a needle bearing.

chewy8000
03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
The other plus with bolt in's is when you pack the car they can be easily switched to the new tub. But I guess at that point it would probably be the least of your worries. :rolleyes:

Knestis
03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Exactly what I had in my head but didn't sufficiently explain when I dashed off my last response.

There's a reason this guy has one of the fasted ITB VWs in the nation.

K

racer_tim
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I have the GC bolt in plates, but put them BELOW the shock tower, so they won't pull out, and only had to drill a couple of holes. I did loose some travel, but just had to run 7" springs instead of 8" ones.

Eric Parham
04-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I've found that the weight can be carried on the spherical bearings without spitting out the Teflon sleeves if you simply order the bearings without sleeves. They need occasional grease, but are virtually indestructible.

I highly recommend the GC plates. The adjustment of camber and caster separately is great but the reason I think they are the only choice is because the weight isn't carried on the spherical bearing, but instead on a needle bearing.

shwah
04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
That is the only way I would run the monoball to support the weight of the car, but you are still well beyond the design capacity of the bearing with that load. So, replace them preventatively more often IMO.

JimLill
04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I had some old BSI weld-in plates already in my A2 but the "guts" were shot. I found that the guts from these fit in and they have a needle thrust bearing option.

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=816
http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=313