PDA

View Full Version : PRO-IT Fund Raiser

TimM ITB
03-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey PRO-IT'ers;

This could end up being a very long post - but I will try to consolidate it. And I will put my contact info at the bottom so that, hopefully, when you have comments or questions that you would like to direct to me personally - it will be easier that way.

A few years ago, I became aquainted with an organization headquartered in central MA that provides services for our Vets (it is primarily privately funded), and that fills specific needs for our Vets that the Veterans' Administration simply misses. The name of the organization is Veteran's Homestead, and here is a link to their website: www.veteranhomestead.org (http://www.veteranhomestead.org). Just a note - their website is good and gives a bunch of info, but I have been to their facility in Fitchburg, MA (the facility in Fitchburg is their hospice for Vets who don't have any family or any "place" to go to die with dignity - words don't do justice to the work that is being done there) and have met many of the folks who work with the Vets. They are a dedicated, enthusiastic group, and their work is inspiring to say the least.

I urge you to check out their website. One of their most compelling projects that is currently on-going and really in need of our help, is their Northeast Veteran Training & Rehabilitation Center. This is a unique collaboration of the local townsfolk, a local community college, and the Veteran's Homestead organization. The level of rehab, and the type of rehab, will be unprecedented in the U.S.

Without getting too philosophical in this forum - personally, I can't think of a better or more deserving group to try and help out in this fashion - our Veterans.

I have spoken with Bob Zecca, and he is 100% behind this idea......and the idea is to use one of our races to help try and promote awareness and raise money (at the same time) for this organization. Using our racing "thing" to help raise money for good causes is nothing new (ie RAL weekend) for many of us. Combining the PRO-IT Series with raising money for the Veteran's Homestead is new, and hopefully will be well recieved by all of you folks reading this post. Right now Bob and I would be targetting the race on Aug 1, 2009 at LRP for this event - but it doesn't have to be that specific race.

I have quite a few ideas as to how we can work to put together a significant fund raiser, and a means to promote awareness for the NVTRC and the Veteran's Homestead organization. I have put "pen to paper" and would be glad to share with anyone that is interested my current ideas - and would be very happy to hear comments and critique on them.

So, I hope that you will get back to me with your comments - both positive AND negative. The only way that this will work is if it embraced by our PRO-IT fraternity.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tim Mullen
ITB # 86
[email protected]
cell 508-265-506

Andy Bettencourt
03-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Maybe the event that has a chance to get telivised in NJ?

TimM ITB
03-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Andy - in my conversation with Bob Z, he has told me that that race weekend will be dedicated to Joe and Linda - friends of his and SCCA members who fell on 9/11 on the United flight in PA. So, although it might be a really good weekend to utilize - I don't want to over-step with Bob. That being said, maybe there is a way to weave both of the themes into the same weekend? I will bring it up to Bob and see what he thinks.

Thanks,

Tim M

Robert Zecca
03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
We can see if we can tie it into the NJMP weekend. Maybe do something with this and VW people. In the meantime I will see if we can work with Maria in marketing at LRP and see if they can help us make this a spectator weekend in honor of this cause. We could invite the Scouts, their families and try to get a few thousand people up for the National and then bring in some local press. I will call Maria this week.

Robert Zecca
03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I just checked out: http://www.veteranhomestead.org/projects/nvtrc.html
Take a look at the photo of the Marine on the cover. We as PROIT must get behind Tim's idea immediately. One of the reasons why we get to race and live in this country of true freedom is because of our armed forces and forgotten vets.

Thanks
Bob Zecca

TimM ITB
03-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Bob - you read my mind regarding the Scouts, getting more people there, and getting local media coverage! As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about a bunch of other ideas as to how to attract more people and attention:

1. Obtain sponsors for substantial donations that "fit" our group, and then "give" them a 1/4 page in our upcoming program for advertising, AND, if OK with the management at LRP, have them bring a booth, a tent, a table, a demo, something......to the track for the weekend in hopes of boosting their businesses. Ideas:
- RV and camping equipment
- car care products
- wheel and tire retailer
- lawn care products
- tool retailer
- bottled water / energy drinks & food
- sporting goods retailer
- electronics (TV/Ipod/etc) retailer

What I would also do is see if each one of them can have some sort of "giveaway" at the track - use a raffle system so that people/spectators throw in a dollar and get a chance to win a TV, a camping stove, a wash/wax kit, something.........more donations, more donations, ..............
- Racing simulator?

This sponsorship idea could raise some pretty serious money in return for them to get "face time" with a couple of thousand people at the track, and through the PRO-IT program the rest of the year.

2. Get a major "name" from the world to come and speak at lunch time for a couple of minutes, and if it's the right type of person, maybe set up an autograph booth? And I have NO IDEA how to get some of the names you are about to see, but there is a pretty good reason to try:
- Randy Moss (New England Patriots) - All star wide receiver AND he owns a NASCAR race team - so he's a huge fan of the sport as well as being a local (to LRP) celebrity. And if he would come, maybe he could bring a few of his "friends" from the Patriots? I know it's a reach, but might as well reach high? Also, that Aug 1 date is one week before their pre-season schedule kicks in.
- Retired racers?? Reach out to some big names and see what happens? Richard Petty....Mario Andretti.....A J Foyt.....or even someone like Chris Economaki (sp?)??? Worth a shot.
- Major names from the military - "Storming" Norman Schwarzkopf?
- Any New England politicians looking for free press - Lieberman? Kerry?
The thought process is that if we can get more people to come by giving them a REASON to come (to see and get close to the "big name") then the more chance we have a raising awareness and dollars.

These are the kinds of things going through my head.

I will be meeting with the folks at the Veterans Homestead shortly to review ideas / brainstorm / etc.

If anyone out there has comments, suggestions, ideas........I am all ears!

thanks,

Tim Mullen