PDA

View Full Version : ECU & Rev limiter

jcocke
03-03-2009, 05:13 PM
So I have read that many folks get their rev limiter removed in the ECU by "some guy that advertises in Sports Car". Does anyone know a way to contact this guy? I didn't see any such ad in the last Sports Car I got.

Or does anyone else know where/how to get this done? Can I do it myself (i.e. solder in a resistor or a jumper)? The ECU is out of an '87 GXL.

Right now I'm planning on dyno tuning by removing the limiter, adjusting fuel pressure, and tweaking timing. Is this what most budget racers do? Or is there a quick ECU fix thats not a Motec?

Any help is appreciated, I'm still learning about how to turn these things in IT cars.

-Jason

mbuskuhl
03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
It is a small ad, probably 1" x 2" max and all text. His name is Keith and he's in FL, sorry I don't have a number handy. Scan the classified area in the back of Sports Car, I think it is in the IT classified section. It's $100 or so and well worth it. If you still can't find it I will look through some old magazines.

You have the right idea on tuning if you want to keep the cost down, just get yourself a FPR and you are set. Of course, you can spend as much as you want on an aftermarket ECU if that's the route you want to go.

Edit: Great resourse for RX-7 engine management http://www.rx7club.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

racingralph
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
contact keith , 305-987-2744 . this was in aug 08. the aftermarket ecu is a little better , but the stock one works well. if you get the rev limiter removed. fyi, the 86-88s are set at 8000. the 89-91s are set at 8600. ralph mcconnell

jcocke
03-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Awesome guys, thanks, I'll give him a call.

-Jason