PDA

View Full Version : Air pump 1986 Nonturbo rx-7

cherbi7
02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Does anybody know if you can remove the air pump without damaging the engine? I heard that the air pump helps oil the engine. I have looked all over the place and can't seem to get a straight anwer.

CRallo
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I have a first gen GS so I don't know the details for your model but I would reccomend you check out rx7club.com. The Tech part of the forum is quite the wealth of info and MOST of the people are not assholes. Search it there, I'm sure you will find it!

jrx13
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
I think you are mistaking the metering oil pump. The air pump is an emission device used to inject air into the exhaust. If you do remove the air pump and belt, you may have to watch for belt slippage on the water pump pulley though.

mbuskuhl
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Air Pump - yes you can remove, no problem. At high RPM may have belt slippage, fix that with a dual alternator pulley. While you are at it, replace the main pulley to underdrive the water pump and reduce cavitation.

Oil Metering Pump (OMP) - I do not believe that is IT legal to remove, it's been debated on here before I think if you search. Removing will not hurt the engine, but you MUST pre-mix your fuel at about 1oz/1gal.

jcocke
02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
What about the air control valve? Its a device that mounts between the 5-6 port actuators that air from the air pump seems to pump into. Can you get rid of that too? I assumed it was only for emissions.

I'm just starting to build my '87 as well and this is my first rotary. Any help is appreciated. Thats good to know about the possible belt slippage.

mbuskuhl
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
What about the air control valve? Its a device that mounts between the 5-6 port actuators that air from the air pump seems to pump into. Can you get rid of that too? I assumed it was only for emissions.

Make your own blockoff plate or buy one, there are a few companies that sell different block off plates for stuff.
http://www.pineappleracing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=100

Check out www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com) - ton of information, this is where you will learn the most about the 2nd Gen. Before you even get going on this project, you can save a lot of time and money by doing lots of research. You probably haven't figured out yet that you can put an '89-91 intake on your '86 and pickup 15rwhp. The 5-6 port actuators you will want to remove (and the IT rules permit this).

jcocke
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Make your own blockoff plate or buy one, there are a few companies that sell different block off plates for stuff.
http://www.pineappleracing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=100

Check out www.rx7club.com (http://www.rx7club.com) - ton of information, this is where you will learn the most about the 2nd Gen. Before you even get going on this project, you can save a lot of time and money by doing lots of research. You probably haven't figured out yet that you can put an '89-91 intake on your '86 and pickup 15rwhp. The 5-6 port actuators you will want to remove (and the IT rules permit this).

Yea, I'm aware of the S5 intake, and the S5 compression ratio...etc. But when I finally bought the car, and got to tinkering under the hood, that whole convoluted mess with the air pump and air control valve bothered me. I figured you could remove it all, but I didn't know what else would be disabled b/c there's only like 50 vacuum lines running around there.

But I didn't mean to hijack the original poster's thread, so I'll go start my own threads :D

Spinnetti
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Air Pump - yes you can remove, no problem. At high RPM may have belt slippage, fix that with a dual alternator pulley. While you are at it, replace the main pulley to underdrive the water pump and reduce cavitation.

Oil Metering Pump (OMP) - I do not believe that is IT legal to remove, it's been debated on here before I think if you search. Removing will not hurt the engine, but you MUST pre-mix your fuel at about 1oz/1gal.

Just for my own understanding, where does it say two belts are legal?
You've got this:
2. Rotary engines (only)
c. Crankshaft pulley is unrestricted.

And this:
n. Alternate water pump, alternator, power steering, and crank-
shaft pulleys of any diameter or material may be used. Type of
accessory drive (e.g., V-belt, toothed belt, etc.) shall remain as stock.

but I thought if it doesn't specifically allow it you can't? Not like I'd protest it or anything, but just curious.

jrx13
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
On all the rx-7's that I know of that removed the air pump, the belt only slips if your still running the fan clutch. With an electric fan, you do not need the dual alternator pulley.

mbuskuhl
02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Just for my own understanding, where does it say two belts are legal?
You've got this:
2. Rotary engines (only)
c. Crankshaft pulley is unrestricted.

And this:
n. Alternate water pump, alternator, power steering, and crank-
shaft pulleys of any diameter or material may be used. Type of
accessory drive (e.g., V-belt, toothed belt, etc.) shall remain as stock.

but I thought if it doesn't specifically allow it you can't? Not like I'd protest it or anything, but just curious.

Rule doesn't say 2 belts are legal, the rule says pulleys are unrestricted and alternates can be used except that type of drive shall remain as stock. Therefore, do what you want within those parameters.

On all the rx-7's that I know of that removed the air pump, the belt only slips if your still running the fan clutch. With an electric fan, you do not need the dual alternator pulley.

I had a new belt slipping at high RPM that did nothing more than turn the alternator and waterpump (no fan). I also like the safety of knowing that if one belt breaks, there is a backup still turning the waterpump.