PDA

View Full Version : Stock side impact beam removal

Cranknpiston
02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm building a BMW 325 for ITS.
According to the SCCA GCR, the side impact beam may not be removed or modified. I am putting Nascar style door bars in my car and the original beam interferes with my master plan.
I would like to take it out. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? I know with "X" style bars it would need to stay but wasn't sure if it could be removed when doing Nascar style bars.
Thanks in advance
John

Andy Bettencourt
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm building a BMW 325 for ITS.
According to the SCCA GCR, the side impact beam may not be removed or modified. I am putting Nascar style door bars in my car and the original beam interferes with my master plan.
I would like to take it out. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? I know with "X" style bars it would need to stay but wasn't sure if it could be removed when doing Nascar style bars.
Thanks in advance
John

I think your first sentence answers your own question! :)

You can gut the door if you use NASCAR style bars. Gutting the door has it's defined limitations, as you read.

JeffYoung
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Eggsactly. Side impact beam must stay. Plenty of 325s out there, talk to one of them for cage ideas.

lateapex911
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Time for a new master pan!

Cranknpiston
02-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Plan B it is!
Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't sure how much gray area there might be in this particular rule.

Speed Raycer
02-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Time for a new master pan!
That was going to be my response exactly!!!

IMO, you want some crush zone before the bumper/car/jersey barrier comes in contact with the cage anyway. If we're talking a SM, yes, you need all the space you can get, but with a larger car like an E30, leave a little space in between. That factory impact beam is a good thing.

joeg
02-13-2009, 10:11 AM
There is no "grey area" in the rule

Cranknpiston
02-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Sounds good guys, thanks for all the responses!
I'll be moving the bars in a bit to allow for it.