PDA

View Full Version : Interior door latch removal / relocation

Cranknpiston
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I have gutted my doors to allow for Nascar door bars on a BMW I am building. I read in the SCCA GCR where the interior door latch can go bye-bye to help facilitate bars that go into the door cavity.
What cool guy methods have some of you rigged up for an interior latch after removal of the stock one?
I'm thinking of a simple cable with pull handle to trigger the latch.
Pardon my ignorance but I come from a circle track background where I was accustomed to climbing in and out of the window- functioning doors were never an option.
Thanks in advance
John

JoshS
02-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I have gutted my doors to allow for Nascar door bars on a BMW I am building. I read in the SCCA GCR where the interior door latch can go bye-bye to help facilitate bars that go into the door cavity.
What cool guy methods have some of you rigged up for an interior latch after removal of the stock one?
I'm thinking of a simple cable with pull handle to trigger the latch.
Pardon my ignorance but I come from a circle track background where I was accustomed to climbing in and out of the window- functioning doors were never an option.
Thanks in advance
John
On my BMW the original door release is above the top Nascar bar, so I left it in place:

http://www.godoggoracing.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=278&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=5825b8f34409a7d7c2881145b9c458b3

seckerich
02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I just run a length of braided cable from the latch pull to the front of the door where it is easily reached. Cover it with clear plastic tube and you have a simple grab release. Leave it a little slack so a hit in the door does not release it.

dickita15
02-11-2009, 06:32 AM
You guys are high tech. I use a piece of nylon cord from the latch tied to the front of the door.

JLawton
02-11-2009, 07:45 AM
I drop the window net, reach outside and use the latch on the outside...........

joeg
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I left my stock handle and fit the bars under it; I also leave the top half of the stock padding there rather than just bare steel--just like the photo above.

I like the cable idea, but my latches "push" rather than "pull."

spnkzss
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I drop the window net, reach outside and use the latch on the outside...........
+1

I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass, and planned on "fixing" it, but see no need. :shrug:

mc-integra111
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Agreed. Although usually I don't even bother opening the door since it doesn't add a lot more room and I'm a pretty small guy.

Doc Bro
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I like the cable idea, but my latches "push" rather than "pull."

So use a cable with a small pulley at the latch to change the direction of the "pull" 180 degrees.

R

chuck baader
02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Gutted everything on my e30 and welded a short piece of bent metal to the inside of the latch to open from the inside. Chuck