PDA

View Full Version : Pro-IT support race

Ed Funk
02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Some of you got this e-mail from Bob Z------

Guys,

As you know we will be running with ARCA and VW at NJMP in September. Both of their events will be televised. I checked with the production company and received the following:

It's our company that will be going to NJMP twice this year to produce TV coverage, including on the weekend of your event (along with VW Cup and ARCA).
We'd be honored to produce a show for you.
Basically we need to parcel out the cost of the shoot among the various series, which means the cost to obtain what we call a "line cut" is something in the neighborhood of $35-$40k.
Then, to finish and syndicate the show (as we do with Mazda's MX 5 Cup, the ARCA race at NJ, and the ASA Southeast Asphalt Tour stock cars) will be another $28-$30k. Your sponsor(s) would be able to have commercials in the show, as many as you determine...you would control the 8:00 of commercial time in the broadcast that we would keep for you, along with billboards and graphic use, and verbal sponsor mentions.

Bottom line it will cost us about $65,000 to be on TV. We need to find sponsors to do this. This is not impossible. If you know anyone or any possibility please send them my way. We get to sell 16-30 second spots and we will have Rick Benjamin as host and possibly EFR as commentator. I will even bring in Chris Economaki to help out.

Talk to your sponsors, see if anyone could chip in. We have 80 plus drivers, maybe we can make this work.

This can be not only great for our series but more importantly for SCCA and our sport. We have created momentum, doors are opening and despite tough times things are going to happen for us. Let me know what you come up with.

Thanks
Bob Zecca
Unsubscribe me from this contact list (http://lists.serverhost.net/unsubscribe.php?M=3313869&C=204a84cdc69bd07a708d3b65e5aa8c56&L=1385&N=8337)

http://lists.serverhost.net/open.php?M=3313869&L=1385&N=8337&F=H
I'm surprised that no one has discussed it here! Everyone too busy raggin' on Jeremy in the sand box?

Seems as if this could be an opportunity for some sponsors to buy a little recognition. Brookside Animal Hospital won't be as we're not accepting new clients anyway!!:)

Anyone else think that this could be a great opportunity for "Club Racing" (either from Topeka or from the NeDiv) to get some attention? After all IT is the most popular and interesting racing in the club. Could be a way to get workers recruited also.

Just thoughts, go ahead, beat me up!:eclipsee_steering:
A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=febemailf ooterNO62)

Greg Amy
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I got the email too. Pondered it and deleted it.

It's not that I don't think this is pretty cool -- it is. And it's not because I don't appreciate Bob's et al ideas and efforts -- I most certainly do. However, this really doesn't jive with my racing hobby goals, that being fun and as economical as I can get and still be reasonably competitive. While it would be neat to see myself on TV, I just don't see how that would be beneficial to me or the amateur sport long-term.

What it *could* do, however, is bring in some top-notch competition -- and money along with it. That could be good, or that could be bad, depending on how it goes. And I tell you, a bunch of us on a race track, fighting for a win, fighting for cash prizes, and all knowing we're on TV...well, kinda makes me nervous.

So I'm simply saying, think about why you're doing this, and be careful for what you ask.

GA

gran racing
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
It would be interesting to know what time this would be boadcasted, what channel, and day of the week.

<on Edit>

Good points Greg. While it sounds great in theory, maybe this isn't the best thing for IT in the long term.

Jeremy Billiel
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
some Of You Got This E-mail From Bob Z------

http://lists.serverhost.net/open.php?m=3313869&l=1385&n=8337&f=h
i'm Surprised That No One Has Discussed It Here! Everyone Too Busy Raggin' On Jeremy In The Sand Box?

Lol :d:d

dj10
02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
What it *could* do, however, is bring in some top-notch competition -- and money along with it. That could be good, or that could be bad, depending on how it goes. And I tell you, a bunch of us on a race track, fighting for a win, fighting for cash prizes, and all knowing we're on TV...well, kinda makes me nervous.

So I'm simply saying, think about why you're doing this, and be careful for what you ask.
GA

I've been apart of... and watched some great IT racing over the years. I sorta agree with Greg and yet disagree with him. This would be great for the sport and much better for speedvision than watching auctions, Billy Bob's swamp mud races, nascar and the other junk they have on that I don't watch. Knowing the we would be on TV and thinking while about it while racing would make me nervous too, on the other hand if someone is thinking about it, they are most likely getting beat.B)

I take the TV thing with a grain of salt because I've seen to many proimses and way to many broken promises when it comes to racing, promotions, sponsorship.....etc.

benspeed
02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Jeez - you guys sound like a bunch of pussies.

Ed Funk
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Wrong board, Hoppe is a pussy!:D

lateapex911
02-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Pony up, Ben!

I see up and downsides. Dave's point regarding timeslot is important. Finding cash in this economy is going to be tough.

This is the first I've heard of this.

rsx858
02-11-2009, 01:55 AM
This is a fantastic opportunity hands down.

long term.. what could possibly be better. televising a series that shows great racing on a budget. think of all the race enthusiast watching and saying to themselves damn... i could afford a 1980's tin can... maybe i should check out the scca

short term also fantastic, this will draw a number of racers to the series who at the moment only stick with regionals- increase double entries. They will see a series that has stepped up to the next level and thats what a lot of people are looking for. Hell i cant afford to build a grand am car... i cant afford some TDI cup car... but damn heres a chance for some great exposer.. im in

I think opportunities like this is what PRO IT is all about. I understand the feeling by some that this is "not for them" as perhaps they could care less about exposer or dont really have any sponsors to cater to. well thats why we have a great non PRO IT regional program, and I think there are far more people who would be drawn by this opportunity than pushed away.

Good point about people driving aggressively for wins / cash etc. -I would argue however that there was some good money in the PRO IT series this last season (several people got over 1000$) and despite the money factor the racing was good and clean. I think we can handle this.

- Hey maybe im just over excited about this but isn't that the point. If it appeals to me than it appeals to other 20 somthins and this club needs young blood. Besides people dont you want to show up the oval jockeys on television... :D

JLawton
02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to remember back to the Import Challenge races at Lime Rock. That was probably the closest in producton level. Was the competition intense (aggressive)? Of course, I was at the back of the pack so I didn't see the real action......

I do think it would be great for the class.............

Ed Funk
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Back in the late '80's, early '90's, LRP had ITB as support races for IMSA GTO/GTU. There was definitely some crazy driving, "money, spectators, a chance to show what you could do, maybe finally be recognized by the F1 teams and get that much deserved Ferrari ride!!"

It was fun, and I'd do it again, need to have some real serious drivers meetings and stewards willing to black flag for rough driving and general stupidity. And "uncommon sence" would be nice. I remember guys talking about how cool it was to see the crowd on the hill as they were going through the "esse's":o, I really wanted their eyes on the track and traffic!:026:

But, televised, could be good for club racing IMHO, ( or maybe not so humble)

gran racing
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I think it's awesome what Bob and others are doing and trying to do with Pro-IT and club racing as a whole. What happens with the TV gig depends upon what the goal of doing it truly is.

think of all the race enthusiast watching and saying to themselves damn...

You mean all of our friends and family? LOL The challenge is to get prime time air that would actually draw people who aren't racing already.

Going along with the tv idea, I wonder if there are other similar avenues that could be looked into? With the web being such a powerful tool and young people turning to it more and more for entertainment, maybe online coverage of the series would gain more exposure to the target we're seeking?

ulfelder
02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
There's an assumption in many posts here that getting a race on TV would be a big deal. I think it would be a very, very little deal. Our race would likely be a 30-minute package that would show up on SPEED at 3:30am, right before Sham-Wow. The announcers, total pros though they would be, would be prepped on the names of, say, 5 guys - the top 2 in ITR and ITS, and maybe the fastest SM qualifier.

Think about similar telecasts you've seen for other grassroots motorsports: mud-bog drag racing, motorcycle hillclimbs, etc. Did it look cool? Maybe. Did it make you want to rush out and try the sport? Probably not. Was it clear to you that this was smalltime racing that had begged, borrowed or stolen a half-hour on SPEED? Probably.

Meh.

Steve Ulfelder
Flatout Motorsports
05 ITS

Olson-RRT
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
A couple of points. If any of us wanted to experience a "pro" race (televised, however you want to define it) we would be looking at min of $15k for a seat in a rented car just to say we did that. This opportunity gives everyone here the chance to run their own car for a fraction of that. So the few seconds your left quarter panel makes it into a shot you get to tell friends and family alike, "hey, there I am!" Almost is good is not competing in the race but letting friends and family alike know, "my series is on Speed if you want to check it out this evening."

I think if the ProIT guys are able to pull this off it will be simply a nice thing for most of us or a once in a lifetime chance for others. Certainly much better than hopeing Couter can keep her straight for a full pull or wondering if a bald-headed dbag can get two guys agreed on running heads-up...

benspeed
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I really don't think there's enough on the line here to change anybody's driving style. Matt made some good points on the promotional value of running this race on TV in conjunction with some other great events. Who knows what comes of it but I have marketed this event to the advertising executives at Coldwell Banker and Century 21 - they didn't jump at the idea but thought it worth consideration.

I laid down the challenge that hell - Remax sponsors and entire racing series - maybe they should give some motorsports marketing a try.

I know Dave Liniger who owns Remax and sent him an email challenging him to a race at NJMP. God forbid he takes me up on it - the man owns more than 10 top flight race cars including Daytona Prototypes, cup cars and Formula 1 cars. He's driven in many major road race events. My ITS Mazda can beat 'em though!

lateapex911
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I know Dave Liniger who owns Remax and sent him an email challenging him to a race at NJMP. God forbid he takes me up on it - the man owns more than 10 top flight race cars including Daytona Prototypes, cup cars and Formula 1 cars. He's driven in many major road race events. My ITS Mazda can beat 'em though!

Rattle the cages Ben! Maybe he'll take pity on your little podunk program and offer you a ride!..;) (Kidding about your podunk program..it's twice as nice as my wanna be podunk program!) (You SHOULD make a wager that involves both of you in Spec Miatas, and you get a ride in one of his program cars as "winnings")

benspeed
02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
That's a damn good idea! I'll throw down some smack

Robert Zecca
02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Dear Competitors

Darrell and I will be leaving for the convention in Vegas tomorrow. We have much to do and I know that the new regime will support our efforts. The SCCA is made up of great hard working members and I believe we have some of the best in the Northeast. I really am excited about this year and our potential despite a lousy economy. Please each and every one of you stay positive and together we will make this year work both on the track and for our regions.

Thanks again for all your support.

Sincerely,
Bob Zecca

lateapex911
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Enjoy the weather! Grrr...