PDA

View Full Version : New SFR ITS racer

vtluu
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Yup that's me. Just wanted to write my first post and say hi to everybody here. (Is there anybody here? :shrug:) I figured since I'm no longer in SM I should stop slumming it over in the Spec Miata forums. ;)

My name is Tam, for those of you who don't know me. Been a member of the SCCA, San Francisco Region since 2003. Started out in the cones, got my Novice license in 2007, ran my first SCCA race season last year.

Late last year I was elected to the SFR Board of Directors. I'm drunk with power! Or possibly just drunk.

My racing resume includes the first and second 24 Hours of Lemons races (finished 27th and 7th), and a bunch of races with the SFR region last year, running mainly in Spec Miata T and a few ITS races as well.

My car is a 1999 Miata, currently prepped for SMT, and shortly about to undergo initial ITS upgrades. Why did I switch to ITS? Partly so I won't have to bolt on another 25 lbs of ballast this year. Mainly because I like mixed-make racing, I think it's a bit more interesting. Also because I like wrenching, making changes, tweaking, tuning... I figure if I'm going to be not very good at something, I might as well have fun doing it! :D

I also have a 2003 Evo 8, which I haven't finished rebuilding after a track day "incident" at Infineon a couple years ago. If I ever get around to it I may run it in ITE... if a great big bag of money falls out of the sky and into my lap.

Anyway here's looking forward to a great 2009 season!

benspeed
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Welcome Tam - this site is a great resource.

JoshS
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I love that IT seems to be growing again in SFR. Glad you're making the switch!

racer_tim
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Tam, glad you made it out of the dark side.

Marcus Miller
02-05-2009, 11:54 PM
We are around, but this forum is mostly dead....

Why did you switch?

Marcus, who still needs to get a real motor for his ITA 1.6

vtluu
02-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Marcus, I switched because I think IT is more interesting, with a mix of different cars. I ran in Group 5 a few times last year and had a really good time. I also enjoy the technical challenge of developing a car and trying out different parts and setups.

Yeah, and carrying 75-100 lbs of ballast is a bit of a drag, too. :)

vtluu
02-06-2009, 10:02 AM
So... if this forum is mostly dead, where do all the cool IT kids hang out these days? :D

JoshS
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
So... if this forum is mostly dead, where do all the cool IT kids hang out these days? :D
This site is the place! It's just the regional sub-forum that's dead.

lateapex911
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Cool. I am dying to move out there, and having more IT guys makes that even more tempting.

ekim952522000
02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Cool. I am dying to move out there, and having more IT guys makes that even more tempting.

Jake are you planning to move to CA?

Marcus Miller
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd echo what Josh said, and add www.roadraceautox.com
I think everyone else except maybe Tim? are there as well.

Tam, completely hear you on developing the car, that's why i've been in IT rather than sm.

Marcus