PDA

View Full Version : Camshafts as used in the A2 8V Motor(s)

JimLill
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
somewhat continuing from the other thread.........

For US spec cars here are the complete part numbers

GX/HT = 026 109 101 A
RD = 026 109 101 G

Specs given here: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/camsspecs.asp

FWIW, the illegal "G-grind" Solid Lifter Euro cam specs are duration of 230 Intake, 228 Exhaust @0.050" with a lift of .423".

shwah
01-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Std A2 Hyd "A"026 109 101 A

in/ex; 235°/231°; 223°/220°; 210°/209°; .393"; 110°; -5.6° BTDC; '85-87' GX,HT Engines

Std A2 Hyd "G"026 109 101 G

in/ex; 231°/235°; 218°/219°; 214°; .400"; 110°; -2.8° BTDC; '85-92' RD,PF,RV Engines

The G suffix is the preferred stick. No it is not a 'G' Grind.

Knestis
01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
...and the head casting, springs, valves are all identical? Oh - and the block, crank, rods, etc., among all of those letter designations? I honestly don't know but we can't update/backdate just the cam if not, since the rules specifically stipulate that the "long block" is an assembly. Like I can't use an OBDI head on an OBDII block. There are a couple of different cams in the MkIIIs too, but I have to take the entire engine generation that goes with whatever I want.

K

Andy Bettencourt
01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Like I can't use an OBDI head on an OBDII block. There are a couple of different cams in the MkIIIs too, but I have to take the entire engine generation that goes with whatever I want.

K

Didn't this car go through the ARRC teardown?

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25314

tom91ita
01-23-2009, 12:06 AM
so chris, just how is it that you happen to have an "extra" stock cam? :)

sorry to hear you might not be at too many events this year. hope to see you at IT Fest again.

honestly, i think i had missed the importance of that part in the rules regarding the long block, etc. i know i have heard for years that you want the newer motor for the ITA crx since it had the better cam and was the reason the hp got bumped from 105 to 108 from '88-89 to '90-91.

but if that cam is the "only" difference between motors, it does not matter where you source the block, right? i.e., if a '88 block has the same p/n as the 91 block per the honda manuals and all other parts are the same, it would not matter if the block has a s/n corresponding to a '88 would it?

shwah
01-23-2009, 12:47 AM
...and the head casting, springs, valves are all identical? Oh - and the block, crank, rods, etc., among all of those letter designations? I honestly don't know but we can't update/backdate just the cam if not, since the rules specifically stipulate that the "long block" is an assembly. Like I can't use an OBDI head on an OBDII block. There are a couple of different cams in the MkIIIs too, but I have to take the entire engine generation that goes with whatever I want.

K

Kirk - the good cam was delivered on 85-92 Golfs. That covers the whole spec line. Yes it was on the 'good' high compression motor that everyone uses. No it won't flow as well as your head and cam :D

edit - but actually yes. The heads valves and springs are the same (maybe some early small valve low compression cars). As are crank, rods, etc. The low compression motors obviously have different pistons, but also the less liked cam. Heck from 89-92 all the 8v cars got the good motor anyway AFAIK. Not nearly as much change in the A2s as later chassis from VW. Injeciton type, exhaust manifolds, oil cooler and compression sums up about all the changes there were.

shwah
01-23-2009, 12:49 AM
so chris, just how is it that you happen to have an "extra" stock cam? :)

Oh I have been running this awesome South African cam!

Naw, I just have a pile of old motors in the garage.

gran racing
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Edited post wondering what Andy was talking about - light bulb finally went on! Damn, I didn't see that before. That sucks. Power steering too...

Knestis
01-23-2009, 09:27 AM

:shrug:

K

gran racing
01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
-OBD-2 Long Block, stock bore 50k on lower end, new seals and bearings installed 10 races ago
-OBD-1 head IT Spec Build

Knestis
01-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Kirk - the good cam was delivered on 85-92 Golfs. That covers the whole spec line. Yes it was on the 'good' high compression motor that everyone uses. No it won't flow as well as your head and cam :D

edit - but actually yes. The heads valves and springs are the same (maybe some early small valve low compression cars). As are crank, rods, etc. The low compression motors obviously have different pistons, but also the less liked cam. Heck from 89-92 all the 8v cars got the good motor anyway AFAIK. Not nearly as much change in the A2s as later chassis from VW. Injeciton type, exhaust manifolds, oil cooler and compression sums up about all the changes there were.

Thanks for the technical info. It's nice that you can have the compromises fall in the direction you want.

With the MkIII's we basically have the choice of the "strong" motor (OBDI) or the "(potentially) fast" motor (OBDII) - just looking at the hardware for the topic of this conversation. Pablo I was an OBDII car. For Pablo II, with the full engine build, we went with the "strong" one (e.g., forged crank, piston oil squirters, but not the better valves springs of the later ones) knowing it would be an enduro car. I'm fuzzy on this because we couldn't even think of taking advantage of it but I THINK that the only different cams (don't know from "better") were in OBDII cars... ?

I'm pretty sure that by now Cameron's come to the conclusion that I was overly cautious, and that the later crank, being something like three pounds lighter, might help make more ponies and *probably* still won't break. :)

K

924Guy
01-23-2009, 09:38 AM

We (2nd and 3rd) pulled intakes and exhausts, no issues.

gran racing
01-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Vaughan,
I'm pretty sure Andy was pointing out the OBD-1 & OBD-2 being mixed.

shwah
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say that more than 50% of IT racers did not realize the correct interpretation of the long block is an assembly definition, as Kirk has stated it. I know that I am one. Just lucky that the 'right' parts happen to be on the motor that came stock on my car anyhow.

We hashed out the PS issue in another thread. He was convinced it was legal. I wish I had pushed the issue more in hind sight. I followed that car to a lot of checkers last year, but mainly due to self inflicted issues - when we were both working right we had very close races.

Aaron is absolutely not a 'cheater' type of racer, but does do everything that he beleives he can within the rules. Looks like two of those items were mistakes. I hope he has a quick development curve for the new T3 car, and fares well at the runoffs this year.

Knestis
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
>> I'll go out on a limb and say that more than 50% of IT racers did not realize the correct interpretation of the long block is an assembly definition, as Kirk has stated it. I know that I am one. ...

I've had my annual rules-reading faux pas so won't hold that one against you... :)

K

shwah
01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I've had my annual rules-reading faux pas so won't hold that one against you... :)

K
;)
Well played sir.

JimLill
01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
wow, a bit of thread Hijack?

gran racing
01-23-2009, 09:12 PM
No, not here!? :cool:

Knestis
01-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know, Dave. As wandering goes, this one's actually still pretty much on track.

K