PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 968 story

benspeed
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
So I've purchased a gorgeous 1992 Porsche 968 to race in ITR. Many folks questioned the wisdom of this project due to cost of Porsche parts and the rarity of the 968. Haven't gutted it yet.

I find a 1993 968 with 91K miles, 6 speed on Craig's list. Asking price is $3k. The car is in a collapsed shed on a farm in Massachusetts and has a broken rear hatch window. It's been parked for 8 years, not started in three years. negotiate the seller down to $1200 over a couple of months. Pics of the exterior show a rough looking car. The owner abandon it and moved to California. No title. I figure I can sell parts I don't need off it for more $1200.

I arrive at the farmhouse and I must cross a private bridge with no guardrails covered in ice, 15 feet over a rushing river. Judgement is telling me - no way - rednecks tell me go ahead, logging trucks cross that bridge (maybe in summer).

Long story short, trailer slides off bridge and is suspended above the river held in place by a tiny tree. If I had gone one more foot the whole rig would have been in the drink. Turns out some rocks collapsed as I crossed. It was 60% off the bridge and I figured not only the trailer but my whole rig was going into the drink, environmental disaster fines, crane fees all fill my mind.

They call the local wrecker. I call a crane company who sends out a disaster recovery vehicle. Local wrecker guy shows up with rusty crap old tow truck at the same time a tractor trailer recovery vehicle shows up. This dude was amazing and had my entire rig back on the bridge in about 30 minutes - NOT A SCRATCH. I was figuring both axels were bent - no damage.

I have to drive across the bridge - success. Get to the top of the farmhouse and these assh*les knew the rig was 50 feet bumper to bumper - no way to turn around. I make them shovel a path for me to turn around. Snow was 1 foot deep with ice on top you could stand on. They do it while I watch. I'm not so happy.

Get the rig back across the bridge with additional heart pounding terror of slewing around again and the tire track showed that there was less than an inch before the rig would have pitched over the other side. At this point I figure heroin is about the only thing that will calm me down.

Now these gentlemen have known I've been coming for about a week and you'd think they'd have at least pulled the car out of the shed. Nope. We need to drag the car out with another 4x4, car nearly rolls into the 4x4 - a quick sprint and ebrake pull saved it with about 1 foot to spare.

My vengeance was making one of these guys sit in the 968 while the other towed him across the bridge - this grown man was nearly reduced to tears, got in and out of the car about 3 times but finally did get the car across.

They ended up being good guys when they said OK - we'll take $500.

So I get the car into my shop last night, clean it up and guess what? It looks like a decent car - from what I can see all clean but there is certainly something lurking.

I'm going to drain the gas, change the plugs, get some injector cleaner and clean fuel, change the oil and fire this puppy up. It's so nice I can't see making it a parts donor but we'll need to see if it's got a healthy motor first. It's still full of oil. Trans, brakes clutch all appear to function.

If anybody has some hints on firing up a car that's been sitting, let me know!

Greg Amy
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
So I've purchased a gorgeous 1992 Porsche 968 to race in ITR.
I've renamed the disease. Every good disease deserves a pronoun; you know, Crohn, Gehrig, etc.

Heretofore, AADD (Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder) shall be known as Phillips' Disease.

:happy204:

Good luck, man! Don't turn over the engine yet. Pull the spark plugs, spray the S**T out of the cylinders with a low-weight oil (get it around in there real good) and let it sit for a week or so. Change the oil and filter and coolant. Drain all the old fuel out and purge the lines with air, change the fuel filter, refill with fresh. Once the cylinders are oiled up and have sat, turn it over by hand a few times. Once you're sure everything is free, use a tool to prime the oil pump; at worst disable the ignition and turn it over with the starter to prime the oiling system.

It also might not hurt to do the timing belt in advance (it's belt,-driven, right?); if that thing's sat as long as you describe the belt could be cracked.

Have fun!

gran racing
01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Ben, did you get any pictures of all this? What a story!

dj10
01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I hope the owner doesn't come back to claim the car.:~)

joeg
01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
At least it moved on its wheels!

tom91ita
01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I hope the owner doesn't come back to claim the car.:~)

delete this thread/post and just start a build thread without these early details.

but you have our undying admiration!

DBurke
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
If anybody has some hints on firing up a car that's been sitting, let me know!

You should be able to pull the main relay or similar and the car should crank to get oil pressure. Plug in whatever you un-plugged and fire it up.

JeffYoung
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Good lord man, that is something I would do.

Greg's advice on restarting is spot on. We rebirthed a TR6 about a year ago, and did all of that except the over night sit because the motor turned over freely by hand.

968 should be a good choice for R I think.

benspeed
01-14-2009, 05:57 PM
YES! I have my own automotive disfuntion named after me. Although I have stayed on the P cars for a little bit and still have the ITS car......and I might buy a Tesla for the first electric class. See why Greg has assigned the name Phillips' disease

Good news is that the owner knows this car was sold on his behalf and is trying to find the title for me so no worries about an unhappy owner turning up.

I'm trying to get the digital pics of the trailer hanging WAAAAY out over this bridge and as you can imagine, every jamoke cop in town showed up to watch including a bunch of neighbors - several who walked more than a mile to come see in 12 degree weather. I'm sure the story will go, "remember that jackass from Jersey who almost flipped his trailer into the river???" One guy took some video of the massive disaster recovery vehicle getting the trailer righted. I didn't get to watch. I was instructed to have the truck in 4 wheel drive low, if I heard an air horn, gun it. Fortunately no air horn.

Greg - thanks for some pointers on getting the motor ready to fire. It does turn smoothly - put it in gear while slowly rolling and no noise or binding - hope that didn't hurt it.

When I get some pics I'll post.

lateapex911
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Jeeeez. When I first saw the thread title, I thought "Oh boy, here we go!..This oughta be good"...then as I read it, my eyes opened and I thought "Man, that's something Jeff Young would do!" Then I got to the part about the trailer and the river. Wow...you're lucky. It's everything I can do not to dent my trailer getting it out of my cluster of a driveway.

I've looked hard at the ITR candidates, and the 968 is a good choice. The price is a steal.

Doc Bro
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
[quote=benspeed;280812]So I've purchased a gorgeous 1992 Porsche 968 to race in ITR. quote]

Oh boy! There goes the neighborhood....

On a side note 3k down to $500....nice job pal.

R

Andy Bettencourt
01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.markstivers.com/cartoons/Stivers%2010-26-02%20I%20have%20a%20small%20problem.gif

JLawton
01-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Always a story with Ben. You need to start writing a book!! :)

I first was going to say, "why the hell didn't you call us if you were going through". Now I'm saying, "thank god you didn't!!"

Sounds like a steal! Good job and good luck!

Knestis
01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
...Sounds like a steal !

Uh, yeah. I'm like, super-weird about stuff like this but I'd sure as heck do a carfax on this thing before I invested a bunch of dough in it.

I opted out of a $500 MkIV Jetta this past summer because "the title got lost" turned out to be "I paid cash for it when I bought it from this other guy," who it seems didn't bother to let the bank carrying the note know he'd offloaded it...

K

gran racing
01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Jake, you mean...Then I got to the part about the trailer and the river and thought that's definately something that would happen to me.

benspeed
01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
The story needs some pyrotechnics to be complete - let's see if I can set it on fire while trying to start.

Should I turn off the kerosene heater while draining the gas???????

Still need to get those pics. Should have done some before and after shots.

lateapex911
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Jake, you mean...Then I got to the part about the trailer and the river and thought that's definately something that would happen to me.

ha ha, only if the bridge had low clearance that was mismarked or something, LOL.

JeffYoung
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
100% correct, although many states have a "BFP" rule (bona fide purchaser for value) that might get you clear of the lien. Still silly not to check, particularly on a newish car that might still have money owed on it.

Uh, yeah. I'm like, super-weird about stuff like this but I'd sure as heck do a carfax on this thing before I invested a bunch of dough in it.

I opted out of a $500 MkIV Jetta this past summer because "the title got lost" turned out to be "I paid cash for it when I bought it from this other guy," who it seems didn't bother to let the bank carrying the note know he'd offloaded it...

K

benspeed
01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
http://flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/3198744959/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3198744959_bccfb88662.jpg?v=0

MMiskoe
01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Ben:

With a story like that to get the adventure started, why screw around w/ what Greg says. Get out a big-ass battery and jumper it. By the time any fuel might get from the pump to the engine, it might have some oil moving. Besides you'll get that satisfaction of hearing it run so much faster. Any damage to the cylinders that the oil down the plug holes solves, you already did by bumping it in gear. Treat it like a $500 car. I did that w/ a parts car then re-built the motor. There was no evidence of damage from having started it after sitting for 3 years. Hell, it even ran well on the 3 year old fuel.

As far as your Phillips Disease, I suspect you are much like many of us, summed up by a friend "I'm not in a place in my life I can go chase new pussy, but I can go get a another car!"

dj10
01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Ben,
The #33 968 in the pictures is the car you bought for $500.!!!!??? If so geat find. Good thing it has aluminum cylinders since it was sitting so long. Looks like it needs a good suspension from the pics. Break out the wallet $$$$$. I hope to see you on the track this year. Best of luck with it.

lateapex911
01-15-2009, 07:21 PM
http://flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/2924769845/in/set-72157607857338296/http://flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/2924769845/in/set-72157607857338296/

Maybe too much tequila had an effect on Ben pre bridge crossing attempt??

benspeed
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
The black 968 on Flickr is the one I bought for $7500 and is really a nice car - I would have paid way more for it.

The 968 I just bought for $500 is here - just uploaded the shots.

I bought a new battery today and dropped it in - the whole dash litup just like it should :-) Very tempting to just turn the key all the way and start it but I want to change the gas first. I bet it would start right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/ I have put about an hour into cleaning up the car. A really good wash and the paint will totally shine. It's not faded under the grime.

benspeed
01-15-2009, 11:03 PM
http://flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/2924769845/in/set-72157607857338296/http://flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/2924769845/in/set-72157607857338296/

Maybe too much tequila had an effect on Ben pre bridge crossing attempt??

Man - I wish I could say that was the cause of bad judgement! I just should never have gone for that icy bridge.

But it really worked out - I paid for this awesome $500 car with fear equity of a bridge crossing!

Plus the disaster recovery vehicle - that was $450 plus a big tip. That guy saved my trailer and my wallet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/3200728284_60854f6235_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/3200728284/)

cjb25hs
01-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I love the blue/grey combo. I have always been partial to the Lapis Blue IIRC that is what that color is called.

dj10
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
The black 968 on Flickr is the one I bought for $7500 and is really a nice car - I would have paid way more for it.

The 968 I just bought for $500 is here - just uploaded the shots.

I bought a new battery today and dropped it in - the whole dash litup just like it should :-) Very tempting to just turn the key all the way and start it but I want to change the gas first. I bet it would start right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8969987@N06/ I have put about an hour into cleaning up the car. A really good wash and the paint will totally shine. It's not faded under the grime.

Don't forget to change all the filters too.

benspeed
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Can't wait to run with ya, Dan - ITR is the place to race!

Hopefully I'll have an update that this car is running after the weekend. Got a line on a glass hatch also - want that installed this weekend.

benspeed
01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Changed the gas, fuel filter, oil and filter, sprayed oil into spark plug holes last night.

Tried it this AM - started up on the first try - no lifter knock - sounds fine.

Drove around the block - drives perfect. Other than needing a major cleaning and a hatch this car runs. It does have a little smoke coming off the motor - could be crud but I think there's an oil leak smoking.

Ron Earp
01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Awesome!!!!

lateapex911
01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Yea, now watch Ben say "It's too nice to race, I sold it to some chump in Boston for 2G profit. now I'm waiting for them to classify a '79 Vette"!

benspeed
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
OK folks - eat your hearts out. This $500 car will be my race car - decided to keep the 968 M030 black car for the street.

Smoking problem cleared up - probably a dry valve/cam cover gasket. Now I need a G50 LSD, race suspension, header and chip, cage. Then to the track!

This car now has about 12 hours of cleanup into it to that's why she looks so good. I took about 2 pounds of dirt out of the engine compartment alone. Gotta love the P car quality - no rust where crud had been sitting for years.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1362539240012475009&hl=en

Video - weird scratching noise comes from the video - not the motor

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=13...75009&hl=en

lateapex911
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Did you say, "I own this car for a thousand, every penny in, including the car and crane costs"? ;)

robits325is
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Good score Ben.

dj10
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Smoking problem cleared up - probably a dry valve/cam cover gasket. Now I need a G50 LSD, race suspension, header and chip, cage. Then to the track!

Ben, unless thing changed on these cars, don't waste your money on a header. Porsche header is good and unless you burn a new chip on a dyno where they know what the hell they are doing with Porsche, don't waste your money there either. I had a friend that raced the 968 in World Challange when I was racing my 944 T Cup there too.

rsx858
01-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Total steal Ben awesome!

Whats the fate of the 2nd gen? Think the porsche will be ready to rock opening day?

Russ Jones
01-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Ben:

Dont forget about the timing belt, cam chain and tensioner pads. While in there they'll sell you on a water pump ..what the hell.

Your Koni's sent to TrueChoice for a double adj conversion, swap the sways from the black car, email me for a rear shock source.
Your done.

Russ

benspeed
01-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Yup - so far a $1000 for all in - including the crane expenses - that's a new line item now on the spreadsheet - ah ahem.....

cam chains/pads - $300
Timing belt - $600
water pump - $200
Suspension - $2500
cage $3000
Setup $250
Chip $100
Exhaust - Dan - you da man - I'll save that $$$$ - RSBarn can net me 10 hp for $1200 - that can wait

So - got a few bucks to spend. Just throw another thou on top of that for whatevers. That'll net me a very nice car. Oh - forgot the bloody wheels - another thou. Two set of 17 inch tires $2400 - I refuse to total this out! I do not see the money evaporating from my bank lalalalalalalalala

Yep - I will be racing ITS this season whilst I single handedly attemp to recover the economy myself with the new Phillips Racing Bailout Plan - but there are requirements to how this bailout will be structured and beer will influence how the funds will be allocated :blink:

I'd like to get the 968 out for testing by the end of the summer. Dang - that means I must race Matt and he's got that new fangled $1000 ecu thingamig I now probably have to buy......maybe a coke habit would be cheaper

Actually - I'm such a good bamboozler - I'll do it all for 25 cents on the dollar what you chumps would pay:D

dj10
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Yup - so far a $1000 for all in - including the crane expenses - that's a new line item now on the spreadsheet - ah ahem.....

cam chains/pads - $300
Timing belt - $600
water pump - $200
Suspension - $2500
cage $3000
Setup $250
Chip $100
Exhaust - Dan - you da man - I'll save that $$$$ - RSBarn can net me 10 hp for $1200 - that can wait

Ben, I'll save you some more $. Don't waste it on cam chains, I've never heard of any breaking ever. I think your low on the suspension and unless you acutally see a side by side dyno test, don't believe the 10 hp thingy. A $100 chip can't be doing to much either.;)

benspeed
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks Dan - I just got off the phone with my Porsche guys and yep - they said fast supsension for $2500 - very fast for $3500. That and the timing belt will be it for this quarter. And a lovely Maaco paint job for $200 :-)

Guys who are selling the exhuast parts always have a recommended trick and guys who don't sell them say don't waste the $$ - the stock system is excellent.

How about bars - M030 or Welmeister?

dj10
01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Dan - I just got off the phone with my Porsche guys and yep - they said fast supsension for $2500 - very fast for $3500. That and the timing belt will be it for this quarter. And a lovely Maaco paint job for $200 :-)

Guys who are selling the exhuast parts always have a recommended trick and guys who don't sell them say don't waste the $$ - the stock system is excellent.

How about bars - M030 or Welmeister?

Ben,
I've had both on my cup car, I went the fastest with the M030 & it's lighter (1.12 @ Nelson Ledges and it went 1.11.5 another time, 5 years ago w/ stock headers). If I had the car again I would upgrade to the best suspension I could afford. BTW, if they don't ask for corner weights, ride height's and other important infor like what kind of tires you need to run, be suspect of their suspension.

ulfelder
01-29-2009, 08:46 PM
So far $1000 .....

cam chains/pads - $300
Timing belt - $600
water pump - $200
Suspension - $2500
cage $3000
Setup $250
Chip $100
Just throw another thou on top of that for whatevers. That'll net me a very nice car. Oh - forgot the bloody wheels - another thou. Two set of 17 inch tires $2400.

So Ben, you're going to go IT racing ... in a Porsche, for God's sake ... for $12,350, give or take (I added your extra thou from a later post)?

You are comedy gold, my man. :) Suggestion: multiply by 3.5 just to get yourself in the right ZIP code.

Better yet, give that RX-7 a Flatout tuneup and run up front in ITS all year ... :happy204:

Steve

924Guy
01-30-2009, 09:40 AM
LOL... I'd have sold you a fast, championship-winning, ARRC podium Porsche IT car for $12k... ;)

As for suspension - I would not waste my time with the Konis. Get the Bilstein suspension, and have it valved to suit you.

I would also definitely recommend getting the 34mm hollow torsion bars from Paragon, as much more as that car weighs (mine loves 'em).

For header, I have heard good things about the Stahl header, but that was for the 2.5L. Not certain about the benefit on the 3.0L. Certainly the stock header is good.

Give a shout if you need tips on making a front-Porche go fast...

benspeed
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Well - I'm all about the entertainment value to my fellow racers.

Stevo - no plans to sell the Mazda quite yet - it's been fully gone over and it ready to race as she sits. I know I'm a glutton for financial punishment with the P car but it will be very fast.

I was on the phone with Russ Jones yesterday and he made some very good points about not building the blue car but going with the black one which already has M030 everything, decent Konis and probably just needs front coil overs a 30 mm torsion bar, cage and it would be track ready - not front running material yet, but on the track.

I ran the numbers including cost of car and came up saving $2k at the end of the day building the black one and if I sell the blue car for about $3500 I can fund most of what I need to do.

So - I will be getting a title for the blue car and putting it up for sale to fund development of the black car. Anybody on this forum want is first - I make special deal.

Thanks for the pointers on the suspension - the stuff you guys are telling me is the same stuff I'm hearing from the guys at Farnbacher Lowles and Power Tech.

Cheers

dj10
01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
No Koni's Ben!

Russ Jones
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
...and the black car has a limited slip too.

lateapex911
01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
What's up with the koni hate?

924Guy
01-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Um... well, they are better than Boges... ;)

The M030 stuff isn't up to serious track work. Sorry. But Russ is right about the diff - that's worth $2000 right there, and you will need it.

You're far better off to SELL the M030 crap to someone who wants to track his street car, and use the proceeds on a real race suspension, like the Bilstein system!!! PS - I do have valving that will get you pretty close, happy to share it - whether you go with 30 or 34mm t-bars.

Again, the offer stands (and is highly encouraged) - give me a ring if you want to know more about these cars in the wheel-to-wheel environment.

Ron Earp
01-30-2009, 07:35 PM
I was on the phone with Russ Jones yesterday and he made some very good points about not building the blue car but going with the black one which already has M030 everything, decent Konis and probably just needs front coil overs a 30 mm torsion bar, cage and it would be track ready - not front running material yet, but on the track.

Hey Ben,

I am not a Porsche guru at all but Jeff and I did have Jakes old 944 S2 that we spent a lot of time evaluating for ITR and investigating parts. As Vaughn says, that M030 stuff is not up to serious racing work and you'd be better off not paying money for those parts. Yes, you might be on track but you'll be tossing them soon and buying something else which will probably cost you money in the long run.

In the end we sold the S2 (we still thought it a better choice than the 968, various reasons, most of which is that variable intake runner doesn't come into play for racing, weight is lower, brakes are great of either) and became slightly frightened of parts costs. We're used to paying like $67 for an engine gasket kit, not $400. $87 for a timing set instead of $750, and so on.

Cool cars though, I hope you gets yours on track. I'm not a Porsche Faithful drinking the 911 Coolaid and think a 968 at all levels of prep can be a serious race car. I tihnk I still have some articles from English magazines comparing the 968 and S2. Shoot me an email and I'll forward them to you.

Ron

lateapex911
01-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm not a Porsche Faithful drinking the 911 Coolaid and ....
Ron

You dissin' a 911 Ron??

man I oughta get one and make it go...

Ron Earp
01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
You dissin' a 911 Ron??

man I oughta get one and make it go...

Well, if you started to design a sports car and had a clean sheet of paper you probably wouldn't hang the engine out back of the car and put the tranny in the middle. You'd do something logical and put the engine in the middle like, oh, wait! Porsche did that with the Caymen like it was brand new or something! Everyone else has been designing mid engine sports cars for 50 years.....

And barring sticking the engine in the middle you'd probably put it in the front with the transmission in the rear.....like a 944!

And no matter what you did you damn sure wouldn't put the engine and transmission in the front of the car. That is plain nutz.

Just sayin....:p

924Guy
01-31-2009, 08:58 AM
You dissin' a 911 Ron??

LOL... triumph of German bloody-mindedness over basic physics!!! :026:

By contrast... my wife's taking my 924 through driver's school this spring!:eclipsee_steering:

benspeed
02-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey Vaughan - I'll take you up on that offer when I'm closer to buying the setup. Right now I'm zeroed in on getting all the safety stuff done up right - them move into the fun stuff.

Lotta folks are thinking this will be hugely expensive but remember - this car has a boatload of power on tap as she sits. A great suspension setup is where the money will need go so maybe this will be on track for around $12-13K. (God willing a little Porsche reliability and no major motor/trans troubles).

We will see - but so far it's been a good winter messing around with all these cars. I'm ready for spring.

924Guy
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Cool - you have a PM!

lateapex911
02-01-2009, 06:46 PM
There ARE advantages to the design...GREAT weight transfer under braking, for example, and ...yea...well, umm..it's got enough space in the trunk for a set of clubs!

Vaughan, I've used Chuck Moreland's Elephant Engineering stuff before, it's pretty sweet, as well as Smart Racing, Wevo, etc. Chucks got lots of stuff for the 944..is it desirable?

924Guy
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I would expect his expertise would translate just fine to the 944 platform, and I have heard good things about the stuff. For one, I think he's the only one making poly-bronze bushings for the spring plates, though I forget, they may not be compatible with torsion bars given the geometry (some compliance is required - those bearings may only be suitable for coilover conversion cars).

As much as you'd think the 911 would have an advantage putting the power down, that 924/944 rear suspension is excellent (as much as we love to loathe it)... I've never seen a car in ITB at least that can put the power down as well, as early in a corner. Of course, some of that advantage may fade in ITS and ITR, with more advanced competitors. And the 924/944 platform is excellent for deep-braking without fear of consequences... so the cars can own you on corner entry OR exit! :)

benspeed
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
The car is back from the paint shop done in the original blue - three coats - it is gorgeous. Looks like a $10,000 car now. I will be putting it up for sale once I have the title squared up. Looks like the owner does have it and is sending it in the mail from California. I probably will have to sell it on another forum because you guys know what I paid for it!

A fresh coat of paint will always make me fall in love with a nice car though....when the paint cures after several days I'll wash to paint dust off and take some pics. I don't even want to wash it until the paint cures for a few days.

Almost forgot to mention - since these guys are more on the burnout side I've started the New Jersey DMV process to retitle the car at the same time as I wait for these guys to actually tell me they have it in the mail....that way I won't waste time waiting for nothing.

benspeed
02-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2AvSWY_uU&feature=email

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)

Andy Bettencourt
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2AvSWY_uU&feature=email

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)

Keep it. You are gonna need the headlights when I suck the ones from your racecar right out as I whizz past you in my ITA car.

:)

In all seriousness, the engine, tranny, diff, fenders...all worth more to you in parts than what you will get in whole. Spares package bro. Think for a whole season...

benspeed
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Maybe at Limerock you might get me - man that would suck.

No place else though :-)

I can't keep a perfectly good car for spares - just ain't right! Plus I could use the cash to build the black one allowing me to keep the ITS car also. I got too many cars - gotta sell something.

Scary number of inquiries on this car already - even without a title. Priced too low.

benspeed
03-12-2009, 03:36 PM
OK - an update on the black 968 M030 race car project.

First a huge thanks go out to Pete at RSBarn and to Pablo. Pete spent a ton of time advising and providing guidance on what to do with my car to set it up, avoid problems and run reliably. I meet a lot of industry leaders and Pete is a standout in his field - knowledgeable, expert, personable and did I mention expert???

What a great array of 968 cars also - his 968 turbo track car was awesome.

Thanks goes out to Pablo who was the source of many great parts I purchased - sir, I felt like a vulture buying up your spares but rest assured they will go on a top flight car and I play to win - so look for podium finishes. (I also have two sets of A arms and plan on rotating them every few races and will use the larger pins made of the strongest steel I can legally install.)

So aquired for the project was a complete rear suspension setup with 30 mm hollow torsion bars and a great set of Bilsteins. Included was the entire torsion housing assembly with the racers edge hardware - this should be a complete remove and replace for a top flight rear suspension setup.

Complete RS Barn race exhaust and chip, Momo steering wheel with quick release, lightweight battery and box. Also bought new delrin front swaybar bushings and castor blocks.

This car should be a great handling car.

I have the local P shop quoting on replacing the rod bearings, cage install and suspension install - should get a car that is a 8/10ths build just for starters. The car is gutted and at their shop - just wish they could move it along a little faster but they are thankfully very diligent on how they quote. Same diligence with their work.

I am doing my part to help the economy :-)

dj10
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I hope that lightweight battery is the same size as the stock battery. What's the rule on the torsion bar? ;~)

benspeed
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Yep - that battery box will be in the same location as stock and will weigh abosolutely the same as any similarly sized battery......how's that rules lawyering :-)

I have to weigh it to see if I can use it. I really like the box - way safer than the stock battery restraint. So what's the ratio on battery weight that is permissable??? Where's GA?

Rule on the torsion bar - can't run any coil overs - must run the same suspension type as stock - the torsion bars can be any origin. The rear suspension on a 968 is a very costly thing to do right so I really lucked out getting this equipment at 50 cents on the dollar, brand new stuff from a newly built and wrecked 968 that cost $50K to build.

I was disappointed to learn during preliminary research that if your car uses a torsion or leaf setup you cannot change over to coils. The torsion setup is actually very good, but leafs? Nope. The cost of setting up the rear on a 944/968 can get into the $5K range easy and go up. It's a 10 hour job minimum to do the rear torsion bars, re-index and all that fun.

Section 5. b. 3. page page 337 - Springs of any origin may be used, provided they are of leaf, torsion bar, and that they shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment. The joining of two or more coil springs by any means is prohibited. The use of tender springs are permitted. Shackles or spacers may be used to adjust leaf spring ride height. Spacers, including threaded units with adjustable spring seats, may be used with coil springs.

Been getting real familiar with that GCR.

Dan - you gotta come on up and run some of the Pro IT series - that's 100% of my focus this year. Hope to have the 968 ready for the Pocono event in May. Definitely we must have a little show down at WGI July 25th. Off chance I may do the Summit race in April in the ITS Mazda which is actually no slouch but not fast enough for the ITR bimmers.

Cheers

dj10
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds like fun Ben. If work picks up around here you might see me.

924Guy
03-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah, getting that whole rear suspension as a unit is a real time-saver, as well as money - great! Though I would definitely have recommended bigger t-bars, but those will at least do you well enough - basically what I'd consider the min allowable for true wheel-to-wheel racing. Used to run 30's, now on 34's. Good find on the shocks, too - sounds like you've got the foundation for a great, solid car right out of the box!

Keep up the good work!

jcmotorsports
03-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Go gettem Ben!!!!!!:smilie_pokal: Can't wait to see the new beast in May. Even though I race Hondas I do have a special place in my heart for Porsches.

benspeed
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
The total build quote is in! Work starts this week. I'm glad I switched shops - savings of $4-5000 and better cage & familiartiy with my car - shop is 100% focused on 944/968 race cars.

This includes a 9.5/10ths suspension: Bilstein front shocks for $1000 not on the build sheet yet and helper springs for the rear - which I learned are legal as they came from the factory with the MO30 option - debate on if those must be the stock springs or not.

Link to the M030 option page - want to make sure no competitors have issues with my build - my car is a M030 model - http://www.weissach.net/968_M030-Option.html

Where is Steve Ulfelder - he will laugh as he had a good chuckle that I'd get it done around $12-13K

Total cost including car is:

$16,500 - this price point leaves very little on the table - all the good stuff is done including rod bearings, cam chain, timing belt etc. Most important - the suspension is the shizzle

Money saved from selling stuff off the donor:

$1700 and climbing

TOTAL damage to date $14,800

Add a set of tires and it's race ready - goal remains Pocono :-) with a couple tests first.

Cheers

JeffYoung
03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
When we were looking at either a 968 or 944S2, we looked at that option package and decided it was 100% legal, with you on that. Clearly a factory installed suspension and brake package.

benspeed
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Jeff - I see it as an awesome and totally legit package also. But I want to hear if anybody has a beef before I spend a stinkload of $$.

JeffYoung
03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
PS -- by "we" I just want to clarify I meant Ron EArp and I, not the ITAC.....

Andy Bettencourt
03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Ben,

The M030 option package is totally legit. No issues.

benspeed
05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
An update on the ITR 968 to strike fear into the hearts of my competitors. While the fabricator was jammed up I sprung for a full motor job. That was just completed - MONGO money but should make some good power too.

Also did some major ECU work. I figure they did so many pulls I should buy my own dyno...

Comin for ya :-).....

robits325is
05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Can't wait but I am going to miss watching your videos.....

dj10
05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
An update on the ITR 968 to strike fear into the hearts of my competitors. Comin for ya :-).....

I know I'm shakin.:cool: ;~)

benspeed
05-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Check it out - another cool update. The Porsche 968 I bought with no title and restored has now been succesfully titled in NJ.

The process was complex enough but really not that bad. Took me 2 months and I was forced to do the process myself - the agency I hired - their paperwork was denied after I had a title issued. The DMV wanted my hands to do the work.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3405262178_23114ac14c.jpg?v=0

benspeed
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
OK - looks like the BigSpeed Porsche will be on the track this weekend. Loading up tomorrow night from the shop and heading to NJMP to race on Thunderbolt.

Schedule will be getting the tech and logbook issued Friday morning, testing with the car builder in the afternoon.

Saturday practice and qualifying for the national - racing in STU.

Sunday racing in the national, qualifying and racing in Pro IT.

Shame was the motor work could not get finished beyond the maintenance items but it still ought to be a quick car.

Wish me luck - new car, new track, racing in a national for the first time. Figure we'll take this REALLY EASY and make sure we drive it back on the trailer Sunday night. The trifecta of newness has me thinking conservative driving.

JeffYoung
06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Good luck man. I took a brand new FI motor (had run carbs before) to the track Memorial Day and did just what you plan to do -- take it easy and learn what you have.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Jeff

robits325is
06-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Great news Ben!! Good luck.

My first time on the track will be qualifying! Should be interesting!

JLawton
06-04-2009, 07:55 AM
. Figure we'll take this REALLY EASY and make sure we drive it back on the trailer Sunday night. .

You???? Take it easy????!!!! Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh, Riiiiiiiiiight.

(I still remember the Ben from ITS days!!)

benspeed
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes - Jeff remembers the Banzai Ben days. Those M030 brakes will really help :-)

Slow and Steady - (until the checker drops and the adrenelin kicks in)

Thanks for the well wishes

Marcus Miller
06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
and, now that the car has bee non track?!?! How was it?

benspeed
06-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Car was outstanding - rolled the car off the trailer and it was pretty fast with no changes. Pyrometer readings were maybe a 30 degree spread across the tires so the setup by Marcus Motorsports was excellent.

Car was rock solid reliable through qaulifying for the national race in STU and the qualifier for Pro IT. The clutch was the original street clutch and I roasted it about halfway through the Pro IT race and was unable to compete in the national. I was able to limp it around during the race, cool it down and have enough to finish. I made one bobble that allowed an ITR BMW to pass me - didn't realize that was for the ITR win as another ITR car broke that was ahead. I had to waive some guys by when the clutch went to the floor, pulled it up with my foot and barely got it to shift. It cooled fast and I was able to shift after that but I gave up a lot of time.

Qualified 6th in the national but there wasn't enough fast cars to say that was great. Qualified 4th in Pro IT racing in ITR - that is pretty damn good considering the level of competition in Pro IT.

Led the first lap, finished 3rd overall and 2nd in class and set the ITR track record on Thunder. Considering the car still had the carpet on the floor, no brake ducting and needing lots of development beyond the suspension - this car will be a major threat. Only problem is the weight. At 3055 it is VERY heavy.

Will post some in car video on the PRO IT thread.

Robert Zecca
06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Ben I always knew you were a nice guy but you are one hell of a driver too. I never expected to see you up front and lead with some of our best drivers. I now put you in that category.

These races are going to get very interesting. Mazda, BMW and now Porsche vying for the lead.

Nice car, nice driving and thank you for being part of our TEAMDIPROIT Series.

Sincerely,
Bob Zecca

benspeed
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob! You've watched a ton of races over the years so I really appreciate it :-)