PDA

View Full Version : One more cage question - seat support...

Spinnetti
01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I've been out of racing a while, and am updating my cage. Used to be some language about seat back support, but I'm not seeing that in the 2009 GCR. What's the current practice? My seat is 6" away from the main hoop, and currently I have a tube with a curved plate on it welded to the cage to support the seat back. Is this sort of thing ok, or ??

Speed Raycer
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
The wording is in there somewhere ;). Basically if you don't have a current FIA rated seat, you need to support the back of the seat to the cage.

Gary L
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I believe this is what you're looking for, it's on page 85 of the current GCR. Not much complication here, sounds like your setup is good:

9.3.40. SEATS The driver’s seat shall be a one-piece bucket-type seat and shall be securely mounted. The back of the seat shall be firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing, so as to provide aft and lateral support. Seats homologated to and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855- 1999 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll structure....