PDA

View Full Version : Expand my search for 12a technicians East of the Mississippi

BruceG
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Since there doesn't seem to be anybody to work on 12a's in New England, how about East of the Mississippi?

Th:happy204:anks,

Bruce

tom_sprecher
12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
expanding on what exactly you need done on your 12A. Can't get it running? Runs like crap? Need it rebuilt? What?

You may be able, or be forced to, work on it yourself.

Gregg
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
There's always Brett DePedro's RP Performance...now based at Summit Point.

http://www.rpperformanceracing.com/

BruceG
12-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks Tom and Greg for the info!:happy204:

Ron Earp
12-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Estus down here in NC. I don't have his contact info but some of the 7 guys do, he builds lots of IT7 motors.

BruceG
12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks Ron!

joeg
12-29-2008, 02:25 PM
They are fairly easy to rebuild. That assume you can still get gasket and apex seal kits...

BruceG
12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks Joe. Don't know what I'm up against yet. I started another thread here because my rx7 was shipped from San FRANSISCO to Vermont with just water and wetter in the radiator! The shipper siad something had leaked out en route. I went to add antifreeze and found there was none(obviously) and that when I tried to add some, it leaked out from just behind the front axel(centerline)from the bottom of the case. It may be a freeze plug or drain, I just don't know until I can get it up on a lift. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce

joeg
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
uh oh...hope the freeze plug worked, but a housing could have cracked due to the cold.

These are usually very tough motors, but stuff can happen.

BruceG
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Joe...that's what I fear but I hope it's a plug.

Thanks Again,

Bruce

ps at least it's not a block like a piston engine.

Dano77
12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I wouldnt say im a 12a tech,but we do have a ton of experience with them. Looked at a motor on the floor and theres 3 or 4 freeze plugs behind the flywheel in the rear housing,looked at the car and depending on where the drip is from,could be water pump as well. The motor is set so far back everything is behind the axle centerline. where in VT are you,we are only in NH and my engine guy is in CT. Just need to get him out of the cave. Is this a race car or street car,will it be in NER or elsewhere if race car? we need more IT7 in the northeast.

BruceG
12-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi and thanks for the great info, Will be IT7 for NE. I'm in southern VT on Rt100 near Mt Snow. This leak is just aft of the front axle(centerline) looks like the low point on the case but i haven't got it up on a lift yet(it's in storage with about 40 other cars) so any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks Again,

Bruce

C. Ludwig
12-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Drop me an email if you'd like to discuss the engine and what we can do to get you going again. [email protected] The freeze plugs located in the front and rear iron. If the front ones pop out the coolant will drain into the oil pan. If the rear ones pop out the coolant will drain into the bell housing. If something is coming from the middle of the engine that's not a good sign.

BruceG
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Drop me an email if you'd like to discuss the engine and what we can do to get you going again. [email protected] The freeze plugs located in the front and rear iron. If the front ones pop out the coolant will drain into the oil pan. If the rear ones pop out the coolant will drain into the bell housing. If something is coming from the middle of the engine that's not a good sign.
Hi Chris. I'll be in touch shortly(once I get the car up on a lift). Do you think a case or housing cracked? I have 4 new 12a housings in the Mazda boxes.

Thanks for your help!

Bruce

Eagle7
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Don't sweat it until you can check the drain plug. That's your most likely scenario. On the 13B the drain plug is kind of hidden - goes through a hole in the driver's side engine mount bracket.

BruceG
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Marty!

That's the first thing i'll look at.

C. Ludwig
12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Don't sweat it until you can check the drain plug. That's your most likely scenario. On the 13B the drain plug is kind of hidden - goes through a hole in the driver's side engine mount bracket.

Good point. I was thinking freeze damage only. The 12A has the same drain plug in the bottom of the center iron on the driver side. Right below the oil fill and dip stick. If the leak is not coming from that bolt/plug but is coming from somewhere between the front and rear iron then it's probable that one of the o-ring lands on a rotor housing has been compromised.

BruceG
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks Chris!! great advice from all. I'll follow up with you all after the weekend.