PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Rx 7 freeze plug issues

BruceG
12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Help!

Has anyone ever blown a freeze plug on a 12a engine? does anyone know the normal location of the plugs and will they blow if there isn't enough antifreeze in the radiator?

I had a rx7 w/ a 12a shipped from California and it was shipped with water and water wetter in the radiator!!

When I put antofreeze in the radiator now(should have tried water first, I guess) it leaks out on to the floor just behind the front axle(center of the case). Is there a freeze plug(s) there? It looks like at the lowest part of the case before the transmision.

Thanks,

Bruce:shrug:

seckerich
12-27-2008, 07:05 PM
I am no 12A expert Bruce but on the 13B there is a drain plug on the center housing drivers side. Any freeze plugs are in the rear cast iron behind the flywheel or under the front cover for the oil pump. Best of luck.

BruceG
12-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Steve

Thanks for the info on the plugs. I'll let you know more once I have the car up on a lift.

Bruce

TroyM857
12-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I am no 12A expert Bruce but on the 13B there is a drain plug on the center housing drivers side. Any freeze plugs are in the rear cast iron behind the flywheel or under the front cover for the oil pump. Best of luck.

The 12A also has a coolant drain on the driver's side at the bottom of the center housing.

BruceG
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks Troy. I'll follow that lead.