PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Region ProIT

tom_sprecher
12-23-2008, 10:25 AM
It is the goal of the Atlanta Region SCCA to provide our customers with the best racing product possible for the price paid. To the end we would like some feedback from you on our ProIT series to guage what needs to be tweaked or left alone.

Why do or don't you race ProIT?
How do you feel about the class combinations? (ie, ITR/ITU, ITB/ITC, ITA/IT7)
What class will you race next year in ProIT?
Should STU be included next year?
Will there be any additional ITR/ITU cars next year?
Would more IT7 car participate if it were separated from ITA?
Are we missing something?
As you can tell from that last question we are very interested in hearing any comments you may have on the series and wish to improve it if possible. Thanks for any input you can give.

Cobrar05
12-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I come to Atlanta from Eastern NC(8.5 hour haul one way) because I can race my ITO Cobra R Mustang in Atlanta Region enduros. I would enter ProIt, if it were allowed.

At present I can not afford a second race car that is ITR legal.

chuck baader
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Answers:
1. No Kumho tire contingency.:026:
2. Class combinations are fine.

3. Would race ITA.

4. Not affected.

5. Don't see why not.

6. Not affected.

7. Not that I see. Chuck

IPRESS
12-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I tow from Texas usually twice a year and do the car share program. The ProIT race has become my favorite instead of the SARRC. I usually run it and my buddy runs the SARRC. We share the Enduro.
I race in MidDiv, SOWDIV, and occasionally the big enduros. I meet and see lots of racers and workers. I try no to tow a long way too often. Towing to RAtlanta twice tells you I think you guys do it right.
The deal of sharing a car may get to be a bigger deal if the economy continues to suck.

JeffYoung
12-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Tom, you guys ever thought of combining with the Carolina Cup Series? Seems like it would be a good match -- a Pro Series with races at CMP, VIR and Road Atlanta.

I have run Carolina Cup in the past and would consider running it or Pro IT again if the ITS car counts were up. For whatever reason, most ITS guys run SARRC.

Flyin' MacLean
12-24-2008, 09:37 AM
The Pro-IT is a great series, lots of fun. Not to mention the cash incentive! The reason I didn't run a LOT more Pro-IT's was due to where the race would end up on the schedule. It was usually scheduled on the worst timeslot on SARRC/ECR weekends. At the ARRC weekend the Pro-IT has a great spot and as a result gets great entries. The scheduling of the Pro-IT on National weekends is interesting but unless it's a double, one race is not enough to get me out to the race-track for a whole weekend.

NutDriverRighty
12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Tom,

I have to echo what Jeff Young said about the Carolina Cup Series. My brother and I race on a shoestring. We love the CCPS because we can split a ride with the mandatory 2-minute pitstop. Also have to agree with what Flyin MacLean said about where it is on the schedule. I am fortunate enough that I'm only three hours away from RA, but if I'm the last race on Sunday, I have to break camp and pack up the tent (takes an hour or two), then load, trailer, and get on the road, it's hard to get to work on Monday am.
I have to commend you, Butch Kummer, and the whole Atlanta Region gang. We can all learn from the customer service attitude that you bring to the races.
Merry Christmas to all.

Scott Franklin

Ron Earp
12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
As applies to me:

There is plenty of SARRC racing within 5 hours of NC. In this circle double SARRCs are the norm. Throw in the Carolina Cup and ECRs, well, that is about all I can handle and don't even manage to race all of those events in a weekend. I'd second what has already been said; maybe think about working with the Carolina Cup guys to make something bigger and badder than either could achieve solo. I'm assuming there is a desire to expand ProIT away from an Atlanta exclusive series.

How do you feel about the class combinations? (ie, ITR/ITU, ITB/ITC, ITA/IT7)
As along as it was ITR/ITS/ITA/IT7 in one group I'd be pleased. That is the normal SARRC grouping and it works great in the SE. I'm planning on racing Road Atlanta at least once this year, maybe twice if I can swing it. So I'd definitely consider the events.

I don't think so. ProIT was developed to solve what problem in the Atlanta region? (I'm not trying to be counterproductive, I'm just behind the curve on ProIT and am willing to admit my ignorance.)

tbtapper
12-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I echo what many have responded. I run Pro-IT fairly regularly because it makes for a "double" weekend.

With the cost of everything there's no way I'm towing even to RA which is only a couple of hours for 1 race.

I run SAARC because it has a variety of tracks again lucky for me that are a pretty easy tow from Greenville.

I would regularly run Pro-IT if it was paired up with a SAARC or CCPS.

Guess I'm a little different from most folks in that I don't really care what "series" I'm running it's really more about the race "experience" and the challenge of each race. As long as I have someone that is close to my level of performance (don't laugh there's usually always someone else that slow) then I'm happy.

With that said I would definitely "focus" on Pro-IT if I could get the diversity of track exposure that SAARC provides.

As always, I think Atlanta Region does a swell job of putting on their events.

Travers
ITS19

Butch Kummer
12-24-2008, 05:56 PM
ProIT was developed to solve what problem in the Atlanta region? (I'm not trying to be counterproductive, I'm just behind the curve on ProIT and am willing to admit my ignorance.)

Ron,

Pro-IT came about to help us make our numbers after the Runoffs were kidnapped from their true home by those carpetbaggers and scalawags in Ohio back in 1994. :D Prior to that we had no problem attracting National drivers to our events (even the Regional races) because they were using them to test for the Runoffs. The Pro-IT numbers helped offset the loss of those National drivers.

Some drivers (primarily National drivers) have accused us of allowing the Pro-IT "tail" to "wag the dog" and to some extent that has probably happened in the past. For the most part, however, including Pro-IT in our weekends has helped us keep National racing alive at Road Atlanta.

For those that like to plan ahead, there will be no separate Pro-IT race at our February event - we'll have the Six-Hour on Saturday and there's simply not enough time on Sunday to run six SARRC races PLUS a Pro-IT race.

At our March National, however, the Pro-IT qualifying (two sessions) and race will be on Saturday instead of Sunday. The Trans-Am guys will be the ones loading up and leaving in the dark on Sunday, but they're all rich professionals so they can handle it. :rolleyes:

Good discussion, and we ARE listening...

Mike Mackaman
12-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I haven't run Atlanta in a few years, circumstances and the schedule have not worked together. The loss of the Labor day weekend was a big reason. For those who run the ARRC, Labor day would be a good tune up.

The Pro IT races are always a good time, and I enjoyed them. My wife's birthday is the last of the home expenses of the year, and that is in mid July. Anniversary is in March, daughter's birthdays are in Feb and April. Later in the year works better for my budget. You don't have much other than the ARRC after mid summer. The weather and the track is beautiful in the fall, let's schedule some racing!

As long as the slower cars use their mirrors, and the faster cars included don't shorten the races too much, it is hard to complain about other classes being included. Everyone wants to have someone to race with. The weekend schedule needs to be set up carefully. Let's not have IT cars driving off the track, onto the grid, and then have a 4 car formula car grid and a 6 car, one finisher prod car group running. If 80% of the registered cars are IT, give us some track time, not rush hour at 90mph.

Sorry for the stream of thought.

Mike

Ken Grammer
12-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I started racing many years ago in the Pro-IT and served as the administrator for the series for a while. I loved the series and would still be racing in the series if I lived close to Road Atlanta (I was in Birmingham at the time).

So as a former driver, here is how I would answer the questions...

I live too far away and don't own an IT car at the present time. I would love to come back and rent a ride though, and may do that in 2009 if the economy and time allows (Fletcher... is my truck still running???).

How do you feel about the class combinations?
I think they are fine as classed.

What class will you race next year in ProIT?
I would love to come back and race ITT again. It would be like coming "home"! :) I may have an ITR car as well... but that hasn't been finalized yet.
Should STU be included next year?
I don't really have an answer here. Basically, what does it hurt to add a few non-national classes as long as there are enough cars to offset the costs?

Will there be any additional ITR/ITU cars next year?
As I said, there is a chance I might have an ITR car... but then with a five hour tow and the fact that I live 20 minutes from VIR... I doubt I would do more then one race.

Would more IT7 car participate if it were separated from ITA?
I'll let the IT7 guys answer this one.

Not that I can tell. ProIT might be able to benefit by running at other tracks, but honestly that was never it's goal. It was designed by Atlanta Region for the reasons Butch outlined, and SEDiv already has ECR and SAARC as their touring series. ProIT gives IT drivers an opportunity to make nearly (every?) tow to Atlanta Region a double (and in some cases, triple) race weekend, and to that end it seems to work great.

Summary
I really miss running the ProIT. It was (is) a great series and to this day, having raced in several other "pro" series, remains some of the most exciting and enjoyable racing I've done. It still surprises me that few (one one?) other regions have copied this successful series and I think that given the concerns over the economy, and the return of higher gas prices, programs like the ProIT series will become more common for a while. Drivers need four race weekends set about six weekends apart where they can get double races in for a total of eight races for their season. ProIT helps make that possible.