PDA

View Full Version : Is this cage IT legal?

civic44
12-21-2008, 11:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/44civic/P1010021.jpg

I am in the process of converting my Touring car to an ITS car. Ideally, I would like to not have to modify the cage.

As you can see, there is no bracing in the plane of the main hoop. There is an X in the plane of the two tubes heading back from the top of the hoop and a second X half way down the vertical tubes of the main hoop. I have been running in Canadian FIA events with this cage since 2004 and the car is log-booked with EMRA as well.

My understanding is that it is OK not to have diagonal bracing in the plane of the main hoop if you have it in the rear tubes. I'm not sure about the harness bar though. The bar for my harness is in the upper X, not in the main hoop. This is useful as I'm tall and sit quite far back and I don't have to have a curved harness bar as you sometimes see.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gary L
12-22-2008, 12:16 AM
I honestly don't know about the rest of it without reading the latest rule changes, but in the photo I definitely see a possibility of too many cage-to-chassis attachment points (8 maximum in IT).

Andy Bettencourt
12-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I honestly don't know about the rest of it without reading the latest rule changes, but in the photo I definitely see a possibility of too many cage-to-chassis attachment points (8 maximum in IT).

Actually, call it 6 with 2 optional forward tubes. That center point in the picture will certainly be an issue.

Speed Raycer
12-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Yep, the lower X to the subframe/diff area will have to go. Per the new rules, you're ok on the diagonal IF the upper X meets the tubing requirements... they could be thinner walled or smaller diameter tube.

Personally, I'd throw in a traditional diagonal in the plane of the main hoop and add a harness bar in there anyway.

ewaugh
01-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Wasn't there a provision in the rules for FIA approved cages?

Chip42
01-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Wasn't there a provision in the rules for FIA approved cages?

not for IT.

6 points (main hoop X2 + rear braces X2 + front hoop x2) + 2 "foot protectors" to the fire wall or fender wells.

like the others said - drop the center chassis-mounted X and you may want to read the cage rules in the GCR. make sure that there are only 6 +2 attachment points, and that the cage is not butted up against or welded to the stock frame.

Speed Raycer
01-17-2009, 11:13 AM
not for IT.

{snip} make sure that there are only 6 +2 attachment points, and that the cage is not butted up against or welded to the stock frame.
? Where does it say that in the rules?

It doesn't. The cage can touch anywhere you can get it to as long as the tube stays under the max # of bends per tube rule.

mtownneon
01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
For clarity, here's what the GCR says:

Main Hoop Bracing
a. Main hoops shall incorporate a diagonal brace. The brace
shall either be in the plane of the main hoop, or extend
from the top of one rear brace (described in 9.4.B.2.c) to
the bottom of the opposite rear brace. Automobiles with
mid mounted engines can have the lower mounting point
attach to the frame of the automobile within six inches of
the main hoop. In the case of braces in the plane of the
main hoop, the brace must span at least 50% of the width
of the main hoop, and at least 75% of the height of the
main hoop as shown in figure 12.

JoshS
01-17-2009, 02:25 PM

It doesn't. The cage can touch anywhere you can get it to as long as the tube stays under the max # of bends per tube rule.
There is no more max # of bends rule. When the new cage rules were out for member comment, I made that comment, and was told that this was by design, not an omission.

Chip42
01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

must have changed. - it's a lot to keep track of and we all make mistakes from time to time. suffice it to say that the cage as shown is illegal, and the gcr is pretty clear on what constitutes a legal cage.

Chris Wire
01-18-2009, 04:08 PM
suffice it to say that the cage as shown is illegal, and the gcr is pretty clear on what constitutes a legal cage.

....in its present form.

However, it appears easily correctable with the elimination of the forward "X" and mounting plate, and subsequently adding a crossbar and diagonal as spelled out in the GCR.

Cheaper than adding a new cage for sure, so don't let it discourage you.