PDA

View Full Version : First gen fuel cell

SLUF
12-21-2008, 02:19 PM
The young stud race car driver in my family has just about convinced me to go ahead with a fuel cell installation in the POS-7 for the upcoming year. I profess to being really clueless on this subject. I have done some looking on the ATL site for some recommendations.

For those of you that have done this I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on this subject. A fuel cell does not appear to be an inexpensive mod so I want to put a lot of thought and research into the subject matter before commiting the budget. At the same time we will also upgrade our fuel delivery system with a new pump, filter, and regulator.

Hotshoe
12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
. I have done some looking on the ATL site for some recommendations. A fuel cell does not appear to be an inexpensive mod so I want to put a lot of thought and research into the subject matter before commiting the budget. At the same time we will also upgrade our fuel delivery system with a new pump, filter, and regulator.

.....ATL is a good place to start. There are other brands out there that are just as good but I prefer ATL.

.... My recommendation is to get the canvas style with a surge tank molded into the left rear corner with the aluminum can. Then upgrade your fuel system with two pumps, one pumping fuel into the surge tank from the cell, and one pump pumping from the surge tank to the carburetor.

.... Good fuel delivery is probably the second biggest problem on a 1st gen RX7

.... 2000,01,02,04,05 SEDiv SCCA SARRC IT7 Champion
.... 2007 & 08 SEDiv SCCA SARRC ITR Champion
.... 2004 & 07 NCR Regional Driver of the Year:cool:
.... Rickey Thompson

SLUF
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the input! I was able to gather quite a bit of info today from both ATL and Fuel Safe. Now to figure out how to get it in the car!

dickita15
12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
It is a pretty easy install. Cut out the spare tire well, build a frame for the cell out of square tubing, weld mounting brackets to the frame rails and cover the floor with a flat bulkhead with a filler door. Make sure the cell is back far enough to clear the panhard rod.

SLUF
12-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Dick! I was trying to figure out a mounting scheme as I was worried what the IT rules allowed in order to get it in the car. Looks like that's the way to go for sure. We do not have a panhard installed yet so I better take that into consideration for mounting clearance.

tom_sprecher
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
It is a pretty easy install. Cut out the spare tire well, build a frame for the cell out of square tubing, weld mounting brackets to the frame rails and cover the floor with a flat bulkhead with a filler door. Make sure the cell is back far enough to clear the panhard rod.

I could not have described it better except when I cut out the well I left a small lip (3/4") of the well to help stiffen up that section of the floor. The hole left was covered by a round disc or .063 Al with a filler door.

Here's the cell and frame. The frame bolts to brackets welded to the frame.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/tom_sprecher/IMG_6378_1.jpg

zchris
12-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Something to keep in mind with a soft bladder cell is they typically cannot take alchohol(methanol) type fuels. I purchased a 2 year old Fuel Safe off Ebay this past summer that was dated 2006. The PO had only run pump gas. The bladder was almost completely delaminated. The rotomolded cells are OK with the alchohol in pump gas. Not sure about the foam though.
Chris

Hotshoe
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM

Dick,

..... I took mine one step further by building a cage to go around the entire cell, and I'm glad I did.

.... I broke an axle during the SARRC Invitational Challenge in 1999 and the wheel went under the car and struck the fuel cell. Had it not been for the cage, the fuel cell surely would have been damaged because the cage (around the fuel cell)destroyed the wheel.

.... I tried to attach a few photos but was not successful........ wish you could copy and paste the URL

.... Rickey Thompson
.... 2000,01,02,04,05 SEDiv SCCA SARRC IT7 Champion
.... 2007 & 08 SEDiv SCCA SARRC ITR Champion
.... 2004 & 07 NCR Regional Driver of the Year

mustanghammer
12-22-2008, 02:06 PM
My setup - 12 Gallon ATL Sport Cell in an aluminum can. Two Carter street pumps into a -6 line to the carb. -4 return line back to the cell.

Fuel pick up issues - My ATL cell came with two pickups that had the "duck foot" style pickups. For some reason with the duck foot pickups I have had fuel pickup issues once I used half the fuel in the cell. I swapped out the duck foot pickups for a pair of Race Cell pickups and now the problem is resolved. The Race Cell pickups are real simple - not shrouded. Several other guys in KC have the same ATL cell and they have not reported this issue.

When mounting the cell - make sure that you have 6" of ground clearance. I had to raise the cell in my car to correct this issue last winter. This necessitated removing all of the spare tire well in my car. There is a GCR spec for fuel mounting that I believe applies - 9.3.26.1. Keep in mind that tire diameter affects ride height and as a result cell clearance with the ground.

I added a large access door in my installation so that I can visually inspect all lines when refueling. I can also remove the fuel cell fill plate through access door which saves time when you need to access the foam or back side of the fittings. I also caged my cell with 1' square tube for extra protection.

SLUF
12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
It appears the GCR allows some flexibility in mounting with regard to modifying the floor of the wheelwell and that's a good thing. I have been looking real hard at the 10 gallon Fuel Safe Pro Cell in an aluminum container. I'll leave the mounting up to my good buddy at Izzy's Custom Cages! We'll talk over a few things with mounting issues before I pull the trigger on this.

I also have another question for the community and just want to be clear. If I do install a fuel cell I am allowed to remove the stock tank completely the way I read the reg. I think that's the only other issue I have with the installation. I can modify the floor to get it installed. I will need to fabricate a cover over the top for the "separate from driver compartment" rule. Other than that I think its just a matter of time and money! (As always!)

mustanghammer
12-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes you remove the original gas tank when installing the Cell

tom_sprecher
12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I have a 15 gal Fuel Safe with their steel can that came with the previous car. It has a red rotomolded bladder and the black plastic surge tank collector with the 3 check ball valves. The return line from the carb dumps directly into this tank. I have come off the track with as little as 1 gal. left in the tank measured by an aluminum dip stick I use to check consumption which is about 5-6 mpg. I use one Facet pump, a Canton 4" filter, -6 feed and -4 return lines.

Now if I could only remember to keep gas in it I'd be OK. ;)