PDA

View Full Version : Bahn Brenner Boo...

chewy8000
12-19-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't normally do this but I figured I would share my experience before someone else makes the same mistake. I recently had a full spec motor built for my VW golf and purchased a schrick alluminum oil pan from Bahn Brenner. It was installed expecting it to be a decent product but when we filled the motor with oil it had a slow leak at the drain plug. After closer inspection there was a casting defect and a small pin hole just above the plug. I called them and was told I could BUY another one and return the one I have and then it would be decided if it was refundable. Anyone else had issues with them?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i32/chewy8000/DSC02052Large1.jpg

shwah
12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I recommend a steel pan - won't break if you ding it on a curb.

Did you buy it by credit card? Any shot at just returning it and reversing charges?

suki101
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I have a number of their products on my street car, G60 related, and have never had an issue regarding their customer service. Once and a while you will hear a “horror story” on VWvortex, but I guess I’ve been lucky. John hangs out in the VWvortex G60 forum. If you haven’t already, you should try posting there if they won’t return your calls. Good luck.

Drew Aldred
12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I recommend a steel pan - won't break if you ding it on a curb.

Now THAT sounds like the voice of experience !!! :cool: Have a great holiday Chris !

joeg
12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a normal commercial response to your request.

Afterall, they are a business and have to protect themselves.

StephenB
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a normal commercial response to your request.

Afterall, they are a business and have to protect themselves.

I actually agree with Joeg. I don't think they should send you another one until either you send yours back or you pay for a new one. Since it is defective I would be suprised if they didn't just exchange it and send you a new one when they get the other one back. That is smart business expecially since they don't have any personal ties to you. If you were a regular customer and or you lived down the street maybe it would be different but how do they know you will return the other one?

Stephen

chewy8000
12-21-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm just going to go to the steel pan. God knows how long it would take to return it and actually get something back. Spending another $300 to get one that doesn't leak is ridiculous.

Flyinglizard
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
There are a lot better ways to spend 300$. Trap door the stock pan, add accusump.
I do the stock pan for $150 trap doors, 80$ for circle track baffle.
MM

Knestis
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I actually agree with Joeg. I don't think they should send you another one until either you send yours back or you pay for a new one. Since it is defective I would be suprised if they didn't just exchange it and send you a new one when they get the other one back. ...

Their solution was " ...BUY another one and return the one I have and then it would be decided if it was refundable. ..."

K

StephenB
12-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Their solution was " ...BUY another one and return the one I have and then it would be decided if it was refundable. ..."

K

Well that is unreasonable. You should simply be allowed to return it, let them make the decision and then send you the new one. Seems simple to me, if they aren't allowing you to return it unless you pay for another one that truelly is terrible. On a side note I also think that with the photo above they should be able to say pretty confidently that "once we get your defective one back we will send you the new one that day!"

markw
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I would avoid that pan for road racing. I found that it took to long for the oil to find its way back to the pickup and they are brittle. I found the ones that autotech was selling to be better suited and if you went off track easy to get back into shape. I'd suggest sending it back and see what they say. The worse part of the aluminum pan was pulling it with the transmission installed. It was next to impossible to remove the two 6mm bolts under the rear seal. I vote for steel and a refund. mark

Mike Guenther
12-22-2008, 10:05 PM
They probably only said that you had to buy another one if you wanted it sooner than the time it would take to return the defective one, have it evaluated (a day or two), and then ship back the replacement. If you are not in a hurry then I'm sure they didn't expect you to buy a second item.

It is unfortunate that even when a defective part is going to cost a company tens of thousands of dollars in lost production for each day the replacement is delayed during the return for evaluation process, it is the customer's choice to either wait for the evaluation and determination of warranty status or buy another unit to get it sooner. That's the way it is due to the thousands of times that a product was damaged somehow after it left the factory or supplier and the customer just didn't want to take responsibility for the damage that either they caused or to file the claim with the shipping company that might be responsible, if it was sold F.O.B. shipping point. Or as StephenB pointed out the customer is given a replacement and then never gets around to returning the defective unit once it is removed.

To combat this abuse factories or suppliers simply have you return the defective product for evaluation before they commit to giving you a replacement, at their cost, under warranty. If you need a new unit sooner, then you have to buy one to hold you over during the evaluation process. If it was a washing machine from Sears they would also want you to commit to a $40 - $75 service charge for the service technician to come out and tell you if it was under warranty. Or you could take the washer to their service center to avoid the field service charge - your choice.

Simply returning it for a refund after it is found to be defective, in effect returning the replacement unit, will likely result in a restocking charge and you won't get a 100% refund. If they accept a return at all.

Sandro
12-23-2008, 12:22 AM
I bought a steel pan, and just welded in some trap doors.

After looking at the bottom of my pan after a year I am glad I never went with an aluminum pan.

chewy8000
12-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Problem has been solved thanks for the advice!

markw
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
JB Weld? Since your original post was a thumbs down for a company, perhaps you could post the details of the outcome. That would be only fair.

chewy8000
12-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Being sent back for exchange.