PDA

View Full Version : S4 intake manifold to s5 conversion

ismaelae86
12-05-2008, 12:15 AM
i just wanted to know what needs to be changed and is it worth it...ive heard that some of u guys have done it so i would like to try this conversion, ive search and have come out empty handed..thanks
ismael

wrankin
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Go over to www.rx7club.com and look at the FAQs in the second-gen forum. They discuss what needs to be done.

However, IIRC (and someone correct me if I am wrong) this swap is not allowed under the GCR because you are mixing/matching components from multiple years within a single assembly (ie. "longblock").

-bill

mbuskuhl
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I have done the swap. I picked up exactly 15rwhp according to the before and after dynos. Of course, I also ported the T-body at the same time but that is not IT legal (note, no longer an IT car). I spent about 20 hours on the swap but I was anal about everything. The TB is supposed to be worth only 1rwhp or so, minimal gains.

I strongly recommend the S5 swap. I used an S5 LIM, UIM and plenum. I stayed with the S4 TB.

There is some info here on how to do the swap and things to take into consideration- http://howto.globalvicinity.com/gv_wiki.php?wi=119&co=1&vi=1

I do believe the swap is GCR legal. You are allowed to update/backdate.

Eagle7
12-05-2008, 01:20 PM
The S5 upper intake interferes with the S4 rear iron. You'll have to do some grinding.

ismaelae86
12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
oh its not IT legal?? lol i thought it was :( i guess it would be best to just swap to a s5 motor entirely correct idont really understand about the whole update/backdating deal

ismaelae86
12-05-2008, 01:26 PM
oh porting the tb isnt legal....

ismaelae86
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
and no more smog legal since the egr has to go lol

Ron Earp
12-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Ismaelae,

You might want to have a look at the IT Rules:

http://www.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/09%20GCR/ITCS.pdf

That will save you a lot of frustration or confusion while building your car. You don't want to work hard on your build and find out that things you've done are illegal. Some illegal things, once done, are hard to reverse.

Ron