PDA

View Full Version : Tire contingency

mattbatson4570
11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I went to the Kumho site and the contingency info is a couple of years old.
I had meant to put all the stickers on my car and send a photo in, buy some 710's and enjoy the contingency money for 2008, but I never got my stuff together with the move and all.

However, now I am prepared to buy my next set of tires and I find myself wondering if Kumho will be running the same great program this year (in IT it was 300 for first, 200 for second, 100 for third). I could have a free set of tires a year with this plan. With the economy and car manufacturers pulling out of auto shows, I wasnt sure if 2009 would be the same.

If they arent, I'll be buying up the last remaining RA-1's:) as they have served me very well.

Anybody know?

CCARVER
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I would like to know also as we have a double in Jan we plan to attend.
Carver

erlrich
11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Don't know about Kumho, but I would look at Hankook's program as well. $400/1st, $300/2nd, $200/3rd with min of 5 starters... and better tires to boot.

tnord
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
... and better tires to boot.

that's debateable. :)

the Kumho contingency forms say like 2005 on them, but i used them in 2007. not sure what the program will be in 2009. if they cancel it, i'll switch to Hankook or Hoosier, and i'll have 5 205/50/15 V710s for sale. :)

mattbatson4570
11-26-2008, 04:03 PM
those are big money numbers put up by Hankook!
And with my move here to Florida, we almost always get 5 or more ITB cars.

How do the Hankooks stand up to the kumho and RA-1? I'm very familiar with the RA-1...
I'm downloading the Hankook contingency form and filling it out.
Is there a contact guy for the southeast?

erlrich
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
that's debateable. :)

I know - just wanted to see if I could stir up some shit :D

How do the Hankooks stand up to the kumho and RA-1? I'm very familiar with the RA-1...
As far as comparisons go, I think a lot of it is subjective, but I think there is nearly universal agreement that both the Hankooks and Kumhos are significantly faster than the Toyos. I've used all three, and liked the level of grip with both the V710s and the Z214s. I just had some problems with the Kumhos falling apart (they've probably fixed that problem by now?) so I will stick with the Hankooks. And they seem to stay fast for quite a few heat cycles - I commented to Chris Perera last year after setting my personal best lap time on a set of well-used Hankooks about how impressed I was with them, and he noted that when he had set the new ITA track record the year before he was on 8 heat-cycle Hankooks at the time. The Toyos are known to last forever, but you pay for it in terms of grip.

mattbatson4570
11-26-2008, 05:56 PM
excellent, thanks so much for the info. Sounds like the Hankooks are a no-brainer for me.
Good tire life, good grip, and possibly free if I place well enough.
Looks like the contingency form is much like the Kumho. Get the decals and tires on your car, take photos and send in along with necessary forms, and then place in the top three:eclipsee_steering:

Looking to order a set now.

thx again

OH, quick question...which compound would you run for a light FWD ITB car? the 70 or 51?

tnord
11-26-2008, 06:03 PM
in the past, hankook's have been super fast on their first couple cycles, and then continually fall off. i've found the V710 to be an awesome qualifying tire, but in the Kansas August heat, after about 3 or 4 laps they start to get slimy. they're both good and bad for different reasons.

hankook also has some supply issues.

erlrich
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh, and I did forget to mention the one problem with the Hankooks - supply. They are notorious for being slow getting the new tires to the dealers in time for the first races of the season, and seem to be out-of-stock quite often. If you can find your size in stock, however, you should be good to go. As far as suppliers, Appalachian Tire is an excellent choice in the SE, and Phil's Tire Service has a great reputation in the NE.

jay05
11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Emailed Rudy a Kumho. He said there will be a contingency for '09. Contact him. I'm sure he can forward you the proper forms.

mattbatson4570
11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Emailed Rudy a Kumho. He said there will be a contingency for '09. Contact him. I'm sure he can forward you the proper forms.

Well, I suppose Hankook might be the better one to go with as the money is better?
Seems the tires are pretty equal in most respects....

mattbatson4570
11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
scratch that...looks like the Hankook 205/55-14's in both compounds are on national backorder.

Kumho it is:blink:

GBugg
11-26-2008, 11:33 PM
OK... dumb noob question to follow.... :shrug:

How do Hankook and/or Kummo compare to Hoosier?

JLawton
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
OK... dumb noob question to follow.... :shrug:

How do Hankook and/or Kummo compare to Hoosier?

I've run the Hankook and Hoosiers in back to back weekends. I found the Hankooks much more consistant over the length of the race and aren't as quick to let go. I could feel the Hankooks start to give and could correct where I felt the Hoosiers gave very little warning. I seemed to have an easier time dialing in the set up with the Hankooks too.

Oh, and I've done all my fastests times on Hankooks. :023:

However, the supply issue may be their downfall. You would think after three seasons of this they would have figured it out. If I took that long to get it right in my job I would have been fired a long time ago!!

Gary L
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Jeff - Good info, thanks! What sort of optimum pressure differences (if any) did you see, Hankook vs Hoosier?

Sandro
11-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Just an FYI for the regions that aren't blessed with healthy class counts(like me):(

Hankook only pays more if their are 5 or more starters

If their are 3 or 4 starters Kumho pays more

GBugg
11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Just an FYI for the regions that aren't

Hankook only pays more if their are 5 or more starters

The Hankook contingency form says $H150 for the win with 3 starters. 200/100/50 for 4 starters and 400/300/200 for 5 starters.

Sandro
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
This is for 1st place

Starters....Hankook.... Kumho
......5 .........$400........ $300
......4..........$200.........$300
......3..........$150.........$200

Rabbit07
11-27-2008, 01:28 PM
The word on the street is that Rudy is leaving Kumho and that even the Contract Drivers are up in the air right now.

JLawton
11-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Jeff - Good info, thanks! What sort of optimum pressure differences (if any) did you see, Hankook vs Hoosier?

I ran about the same pressure. Unfortunately I rarely had anyone to check my pressures on the hankooks so in that regard I can't say if I had them at the optimum. I'll try to dig out my notes when I get home.

If all the finaincial stuff was the same, I would still take the Hankooks over the Hoosiers.

Dave Burchfield
11-28-2008, 11:04 AM
And I would run Wal-Mart tires before I would ever spend another nickel on Hoosiers. I bought a set of Hoosiers at the track late one season for pick up the next season and somehow the records showed that they had been delivered to me at the track. OOPS!! Sorry about your luck!

philstireservice
11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes unfortunately Hankook has supply issues and no freakin idea when the tires will hit the States until they do....

We keep in constant contact with them so that we know when they will be here.

Keep in contact with your Hankook vendors and when the tires hit, buy as many as you can at that time. Not all sizes hit at the same time either. We get a monthly inventory list of what is in the warehouses presently. Just shoot us an email and we will let you know the status of your size.

JLawton
11-28-2008, 03:03 PM
[quote=philstireservice;278121]

Keep in contact with your Hankook vendors and when the tires hit, buy as many as you can at that time. quote]

Spoken like a true salesman!!! :lol:

How about you order as many as you can!! :p

philstireservice
11-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Jeff L

#34 ITA Saturn
www.kakashiracing.com (http://www.kakashiracing.com/).

www.kesslerengineering.com (http://www.kesslerengineering.com/) Prep and track side support.
Thanks Matt!!

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Shut up and Drive!!!

I'm going to have to add to my signature ..........

Shut up and Buy !!!.............Jeff !!!

:lol:

JLawton
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Jeff L

#34 ITA Saturn
www.kakashiracing.com (http://www.kakashiracing.com/).

www.kesslerengineering.com (http://www.kesslerengineering.com/) Prep and track side support.
Thanks Matt!!

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Shut up and Drive!!!

I'm going to have to add to my signature ..........

Shut up and Buy !!!.............Jeff !!!

:lol:

LOL.

I did buy......too much last season. That's why the schedule will be a little thinner next season!! :(

I'll buy, I promise!! Actually, i still have some Kook bucks to turn in, or am I a too late?? I've been a "little" laid up and haven't gotten around to it until now......

philstireservice
11-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Sheeesshh !!

Send them to us, NOW !!!....we have to get them to Hankook before they expire.

PO Box 465
Cragsmoor, NY 12420