PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of a used Van

Sandro
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Looking to buy a van for towing, and had few questions regarding the reliability of a used van.

Car and trailer weigh about 3100lbs and my budget is $5000 and was looking along the lines of an E150, or E250 since an enclosed trailer is out of the question for a long time and probably even longer once I get a van.

I have never owned a Ford or anything similar so need some help on buying something that will not require more work than the race car. I know you guys can't give definite answers but just some guidelines or experiences you have had.

I have found several in my price range that have around 100k miles, but at the same time I have seen some with the same mileage that already have rebuilt engines and trannys.

Typically how long are these engines and trannys good for(provided they haven't been hammered on by being used as a delivery truck)

Also thoughts on the Chevy Astro Cargo Vans as I see a lot of those for sale.

CRallo
11-25-2008, 12:12 AM
astro's are light duty vans and not built for the task...

Sandro
11-25-2008, 12:23 AM
thats what I was thinking, and the longer wheelbase of E150/E250 would be better.

lateapex911
11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
My 2003 GMC Sierra that I will be selling would be fine for such a use. 5.3 litre engine, ext cab. I'm fearful that while book might be higher than your target, (11K) I'll be selling for less.... a lot less. In other words, in today's market, you should be able to "buy up"...

Rabbit07
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
From experience I have found that you need to buy as much truck as you can afford for towing. If the 3/4 ton E250 is on your list, then don't get an E150 ect. Look also at the GM 2500 or 3500 vans. I would reccomend atleast the 6.0 engine. In the Ford nothing less than the 5.4. The heavier rated trucks have bigger brakes, higher rate springs, heavier duty axles, and so on. The higher the rating, the less likely that stuff is going to brake or wear out using it for towing. I have owned 150's and 1500's that just got used up towing with them. Axles seem to be one of the first things that wear out, which even with the repairs being done by myself, the costs are high.

Greg Amy
11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Sandro, some years ago I bought an E-150 (I think it was an '89?) with the 5.0 liter engine, all to pull my ITA car on an open trailer. It just wasn't up to the task: not enough engine and "iffy" older trans.

I replaced it with a '93 E-350 cargo van with the 7.3L non-turbo diesel engine. That's a pretty good engine, lasts forever, all-mechanical so you don't need to worry about electronics, and the trans was an improvement. The non-turbo engine was plenty for pulling my open trailer with equipment in the back. And, I don't remember paying a whole helluva lot for it, either. The only reason I sold it was because I bought an enclosed trailer...

Later '93s and '94s had a turbocharged version of that same engine (a nice upgrade) before they went to the more-expensive, electronically-controlled PowerStroke engine in '95 (I think).

Vans rock, dude.

GA

Kolin Aspegren
11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Another option to think about would be an Excursion. I bought one two weeks ago off
Ebay. At the time there where 115 of them for sale. I paid $6200 for a V-10 with 95k
on it. The seller still had the window sticker that read $48,500. I know a little more
money than you want to spend but talk to anybody thats ever owned one of these and
they will agree that Excursions are pretty capable vehicles for towing and hauling.

k

shwah
11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I bought a used 95 GMC 2500 conversion van 4 years ago, and it has worked out great as a tow vehicle. It had about 130k on it, and I did have some maintenance expenses - alternator, AC compressor, fuel pump, brakes, tie rods/ball joints. But at $4200, there was plenty of budget left for those items. It tows our 16' open trailer with car/tires/spares easily, and provides a better than tent sleeping space at the track. It also makes it easy to get the kids to the track, and carries lots of people when it needs to.

It is a great option for budget towing. I would recomend that you look at 250 or 2500 variants, and use air shocks (mine came with them).

splats
11-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Sandro, I bought an older U-Haul Cube Van (from U-Haul). They are going for around $3k-$4k. I put a bed on the 'loft' & registered it as a motorhome. In FLA it was very easy. Contacted my Ins. Co. (Progressive) & they sold me a policy that cost me less than $200 per year. It is the 7.3l diesel. The low cost of the insurance off-sets the higher price of the diesel. At one point, I had over 4k lbs of 'stuff' in the back. When I was pulling the racecar, I didn't even know that it was back there. It has enough room inside to sleep a whole crew (4 adults & 2 larger dogs). And you can make a few extra bucks on non-race weekends moving friends or picking-up large items. (still has the loading ramp)............. just my 2 cents

Greg Amy
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Another option to think about would be an Excursion.
Good point. I have an Excursion (diesel) now, and I love the thing. Compared to the V-10 (good engine) van it replaced, the Excursion is far, far more luxurious and more car-like, while the hose-it-out-vinyl interior, 15-passenger van offered a lot more all-around utility.

But, even though Excursions are seriously bargain-priced right now, we're talking about trucks that are starting to get outside his stated budget. But, I'd strongly suggest they're money well spent versus getting an older vehicle, even if you have to get a loan. Hell, didn't we have a later-model, low-mileage, full-up power and leather, V-10 equipped Excursion for sale here in the Classifieds for some stupid price like $5500? - GA

Kolin Aspegren
11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes Mike G. was selling his EX. I talked to him many times, dragged my feet and it
was SOLD.

For sure a buyer market right now Sandro, shop around and you will find what you want at your price.

k

nsuracer
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I guess that I will be the counter culture one in this thread. I tow with a Mitsubishi Raider aka Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 V6 and a 6 speed manual. I load the truck to the brim and pull an A2 Golf on a single axle tilt bed. It does fine. By keeping it minimal, I resist the urge to bring the entire garage. However, if you can find a Power Stroke Excursion for cheap money, that is probably the best way to go.

NutDriverRighty
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Sandro,
I've got a 2007 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7l gasoline engine (about 380hp and about 400lb/ft). I get 15+mpg dragging my 16' open, double axle trailer. It has less than 5000 miles. It has AC, auto, towing package, 8' bed, 6 disc CD changer, etc. Will sell for $15K. With gas prices dipping, this could be a daily driver. Remainder of warranty included. I know that this should be in the "For Sale" section. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

scott

T Broring
11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
We bought an 03 Chev full size new a few years ago as a tow veh. I shopped both Ford and GM. The GM vans had a longer wheelbase and a think had 4 wheel disks earlier than the Ford. I heard some stories of Ford drivetrain issues so settled on the GM.

It has been very reliable other than the ign coil on 1 cylinder. In mid-03 GM came out with a 6.0 motor that pulls very well. I also think the GM has a bigger rear door opening than the Ford. Its great having all the space and come in handy moving stuff.

I hate to say you may want to look at new, but I am sure you could also get a deal on one.

ITC Racer
11-25-2008, 02:20 PM
This one appears to still be for sale and appears to be setup very well for towing:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23879

BruceG
11-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I bought a 2002 chevy silverado 8.1 l 454(more like a 470 ci) w/ an 8' bed for 6 grand. I tow a 24 ft featherlite enclosed and I pass everyone on the highway except gas stations!

Bruce

lateapex911
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
This one appears to still be for sale and appears to be setup very well for towing:
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23879

Man, that's a deal! You could set up a freaking living room with a 40' plasma in the back, and STILL have money left over! And I bet it would tow a small enclosed just fine.

NutDriverRighty
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Phone number has been disconnected. Haven't tried the e-mail addy.

Sandro
11-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the input guys

Right after I posted the message I was thinking to myself a E150 will not cut it.

After doing a little craigslist searching and other online places an E250 and E350 are pretty much the same price so unless I find a smoking deal on a 250, I will just go with a 350.

You guys weren't kidding about the price of Excursions, found several in my price range or slightly over and they even came with chrome rims so I could be a pimp around town.

Scott, That is a smoking deal you have, if I was going to be using the tow vehicle for more than at most once a month I would be at your door step already.

I saw the Bildon van awhile ago and that would be sweet but I am in CA so that is a little far to go get a van.

I have only been looking online but think I will check the used car lots this weekend as they are probably desperate to get rid of vehicles so might find a better deal, although I would prefer to buy from a private seller.

fiero14
11-28-2008, 05:21 PM
For $5K I'd be looking @ a mid-'90's Suburban 2500 or 3500.....

Joe Camilleri
11-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I've been towing with a 1 ton GMC van for 15 years. Most of the maintenance items have had to do with sitting around too much (cracked tires, sticky calipers, exhaust). Loaded to the rails it pulls a 3,000# open trailer car combo with no effort. The only thing that ever let me down was an idler pulley on the way home from Mid-Ohio.

When racing with an open trailer, the advantages of a full size van are many.

lateapex911
11-28-2008, 11:36 PM
When racing with an open trailer, the advantages of a full size van are many.

yea, it seems like you have to go one of two ways: Open trailer with a van or suburban/excursion, or pickup with an enclosed. The open with a pickup sucks, LOL>

Flyinglizard
11-30-2008, 02:09 PM
The van is nice. Stuff stays dry. The old Chevy works better than the old Ford. They just require less repair.
For open trailers, the Florda Custom vans turn out real nice. Low abuse factor, sometimes low mileage, etc. Full size Chev or the Box vans from the rental places. Check out any of the quad tired rear ends real well before you buy one tho. They get used hard, and have a very high replacement cost.
For enclosed trailers, the Excursuion is very nice but costly long term. ovewr 100K.
IMHO Mike Ogren

fornetti14
02-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Mid to late '90's vans are all over the U-wrench junk yards too. That helps for fixing the small stuff.