PDA

View Full Version : AMB transponder ownership issue

BruceG
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi

I just bought a new(used) car that has a hardwired AMB transponder included as part of the deal. I have the transponder # but don't know how to change the ownership(open a new account) at MYLAPS.COM. When I try to open a new account with the transponder #, I get bounced out because the number is already being used.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

BruceG

Gary L
11-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Bruce - Sorry, but the rules have changed. Read this thread:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24976&referrerid=9666

CaptainWho
11-19-2008, 09:44 AM
I'll be interested to see what comes of this. I've got a car I need to "unregister" from my ownership on MyLaps.com because we've sold the car. I couldn't find a way to do that, either.

Greg Amy
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Send 'em a nastygram; I did. And I told them that as a result of their new policy I'd never buy a new product from them, ever, even if it meant buying someone else's old used-up equipment at a higher price.

GA

BruceG
11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Doug

I just found out the answer to my issue from mylaps.com. Once a transponder has been registered, it always belongs to the owner!!

That sucks. They will give me 40% off on buying a new transponder but The old one will always show results for the previous owner. They have the new car owner under their thumb.

You should be able to cancel your mylaps acct for your transponder. Go to their website and you can ask them a question.

Thanks,

Bruce

CaptainWho
11-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I think we might want to send this up the flagpole at SCCA HQ ... it seems like it really undermines the usefulness of MyLaps.com. Maybe someone "up there" would be interested enough to take it up with AMB. I doubt they'd listen to the racers, unless a crapton of racers started climbing their hides. AFAIK, there's no alternative for official scoring.

BruceG
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Doug...thanks for your response. I obviously would have purchased a new transponder if there had not been one already available(and hardwired) with the vehicle. If mylaps wanted to charge me a fee as a new user(with an existing transponder) that would be ok...but not this! It's like saying that you can only buy parts for your race car from the original owner!!

Bruce

CaptainWho
11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Doug...thanks for your response. I obviously would have purchased a new transponder if there had not been one already available(and hardwired) with the vehicle. If mylaps wanted to charge me a fee as a new user(with an existing transponder) that would be ok...but not this! It's like saying that you can only buy parts for your race car from the original owner!!
Bruce

I'm with you. The reason I sold the one in my old car was that the new car had one already hardwired into it. Plus the old car went to a newby starting up, so they needed all the "bits and bobs" they could get.

I'd be willing to pay a small fee, like five or ten bucks, to switch it over. If I had a choice of using someone else's product for official scoring, I'd do it in a heartbeat based on the attitude displayed by AMB on this topic.

Ron Earp
11-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Good thread, sounds like I'm hosed.

I have a surplus hard wired transponder from my Jensen Healey. Since Jeff Young's TR8 is in my garage I thought to wire this transponder up to his TR8 so he can ditch the rechargeable unit he owns now. However, from reading the thread it appears that we can't do this since the hard wired transponder is registered to me (I think).

Sux.

spnkzss
11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I sent a nasty gram (even though I have owned only 1 from new transponder and am not directly affected) and this is the reply I got. I left the name out, but this is a direct email response from AMB when I emailed [email protected].

Robert,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your position, and I assure you that I will be passing this information along to our management team.

Sincerely,

BruceG
11-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks to all of you for your response.

I'm in contact with David from mylaps.com. He is trying to be very helpful with this issue. I believe that mylaps never realized that such a senario could exist!

I suggested that paying a registration/transfer fee might make sense for a new owner of an existing transponder, rather than having to remove the transponder,trade it in,send it back to AMB, buy a new one(with tradein),ship it and have to install the new one.

Bruce

dickita15
11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I would suggest if in a reasonable amount of time Mylaps does not fix this problem we should all lobby our individual regions not to use Mylaps for official results and maybe not provide data to them at all.

BruceG
11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Dick

I contacted mylaps.com and advised them to take a look at the thread I started. I didn't realize that there is also a prior thread regarding the same issues. This was prompted by the fact that I just purchased a spec miata with an AMB transponder hardwired which was included in the deal.

Thanks for your response and support in this matter.

Bruce

backformore
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
When I first came across this, it appeared that the only problem was that you could not access results on my laps. When you register for a race, they ask for your transponder number. I'm pretty sure the software at the track uses data they input. Does anyone know if that is correct? If it is, the results at the track should be correct.

If the only official results are those posted on MyLaps then there clearly needs to be a resolution or SCCA needs to cease using MyLaps for results.

tnord
11-20-2008, 09:10 PM
fuck 'em. their new search function is a big steaming pile of poo, and if my results show up as "Mark Franklin" from now on, i really don't care.

slopok
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
why would you leave off the name ?

IPRESS
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
YOU MAY NOT CARE, but that Mark Franklin guy out in Colorado sure will. His image will be besmerched beyond repair. Nationally published crappy lap times, constant midpack finishes., and numerous DOs and protests will drag his name through the mud! If I had sold you a car i would have bought you a Tponder just to save my good name!!!!!!:happy204::D

backformore
11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll try to be more clear in my question.

The MyLaps registration only affects what you view on MyLaps, correct? The race day results at the track will show the correct name(s) based on your race registration regardless of who the transponder is "registered" to, correct? Consequently, all the important things like points, etc should still get credited to the correct person(s).

If that is the case, I second the "F--- em" notion.

I realize that if MyLaps is the official POSTING of results, those postings would have the wrong name and would be a PITA in a lot of ways. We would have to get the SCCA to address that.

Rory

jjjanos
11-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I would suggest if in a reasonable amount of time Mylaps does not fix this problem we should all lobby our individual regions not to use Mylaps for official results and maybe not provide data to them at all.

I'm pretty certain that the official results have to be made available at the track. Mylaps should be nothing more than an auxilliary posting on a free website, at no cost to the Regions or drivers. According to our Chief of T&S, mylaps cannot be the *official* results because its format isn't GCR compliant.

When I first came across this, it appeared that the only problem was that you could not access results on my laps. When you register for a race, they ask for your transponder number. I'm pretty sure the software at the track uses data they input. Does anyone know if that is correct? If it is, the results at the track should be correct.

AFAIK, the master system relies on individual transponder #s inputted by the hosting organization.

Before everyone gets their panties in a wad over this, I suggest they grab the elastic and consider the following:

- As annoying as the policy is, I do not believe that access to mylaps is something which ANYONE paid for. It isn't mentioned in the marketing materials online for the transponders. It wasn't in the materials I received when I bought my brand new transponder.

- The freaking thing is free. You don't pay squat to get access to the transponder records.

- They don't have to provide the service.

Yes, the new layout sucks and it still won't remember my login. Yep, it's a PITA that only those entered in the event can look at individual lap times (i.e. want to see if that car you might buy runs 1:30s on a consistent basis or did it once? You cannot). Yes, it sucks that the transponder is registered to only one owner (and that's sloppy DB work as they could key it on both name of registrant and the #), but I don't see anyone jumping up and down to host an alternate site. Nor do I see anyone beating down the doors to write both the front-end and back-end for the alternate website.

tnord
11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
YOU MAY NOT CARE, but that Mark Franklin guy out in Colorado sure will. His image will be besmerched beyond repair. Nationally published crappy lap times, constant midpack finishes., and numerous DOs and protests will drag his name through the mud! If I had sold you a car i would have bought you a Tponder just to save my good name!!!!!!:happy204::D

i have absolutely no response to that other than to laugh my ass off. :happy204:

JoshS
11-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty certain that the official results have to be made available at the track. Mylaps should be nothing more than an auxilliary posting on a free website, at no cost to the Regions or drivers. According to our Chief of T&S, mylaps cannot be the *official* results because its format isn't GCR compliant.

What's not GCR-compliant about it? Mylaps shows every bit of information that is on our printed results at the track (including cars, hometowns, and race notes.)

I see other regions choose not to put all the info up there, but that's not mylaps' fault.

dickita15
11-21-2008, 07:37 AM

If the only official results are those posted on MyLaps then there clearly needs to be a resolution or SCCA needs to cease using MyLaps for results.

Rory you are right this has no effect on T&S at the track.

Maybe I should give my transponder to Randy Pobst to improve my image.:smilie_pokal:

JLawton
11-21-2008, 08:09 AM
- The freaking thing is free. You don't pay squat to get access to the transponder records.

You're telling me the $350+ for a little chunck of plastic isn't paying for it???

It's like trying to explain to my kids that the "buy one, get one free" really isn't free! :lol:

jjjanos
11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
What's not GCR-compliant about it? Mylaps shows every bit of information that is on our printed results at the track (including cars, hometowns, and race notes.)

I have no idea what needs to be there to be GCR-compliant. I'm just saying what our chief of T&S said.

You're telling me the $350+ for a little chunck of plastic isn't paying for it???

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you buy that $350+ chunk of plastic that will take the heat/bouncing/dampness/vibration of being on a racecar and mylaps went dark the very next day... you cannot return the transponder because I'm pretty certain that AMB never said that the website service was part of purchasing the transponder.

dickita15
11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I have no idea what needs to be there to be GCR-compliant. I'm just saying what our chief of T&S said.

I think one of the things missing is your membership number.

bonespec
11-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Do your AMB Transponders have a seven digit number on them?

I race RC cars and there is a company in the UK that can make a "copy" if you send them your transponder.

With the car units, it seems you should not include it with the sale, but it would be nice if AMB would have warned of this and allowed a 3-6 month grace period.

I do know that our RC lap times, even if using house transponders had correct driver info once uploaded to MyLaps.com

I hope even ground is found here. Maybe a $50 tranfer fee of ownership????

BruceG
11-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I gave the guy at mylaps.com the URL for this website so that they can see that people are pissed off by this change. Hopefully they will be smart enough to do something about it. This was prompted by my recent purchase of a spec miata with a hardwired AMB transponder included in the selling price. Obviously, my seller didn't know about the recent rule change.

Bruce

924Guy
11-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Very interested to hear the outcome; hoping to sell my car, has a hardwire tx, want to be able to sell it with and buy a new one for the new car, but that won't be possible to do if the policy isn't improved...

I do think a modest transfer fee would be reasonable.

downingracing
11-22-2008, 09:57 AM
...I do think a modest transfer fee would be reasonable.

+1

Charge me $20 to unregister it and add it to my account. That would involve setting up a payment link from the screens they ALREADY have for this process. Of course, now that sales of new units are down (most of us already have at least one...), this is a great way to force a new purchase on customers......

CaptainWho
11-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Just to clarify, this is purely about how the results are correlated on MyLaps.com ... the regions get your xpdr number for each event so your results at the track aren't affected by this issue.

My dissatisfaction here is not based on whether or not the results will have my name on them on MyLaps.com. It's based on them trying to use the MyLaps.com facility to blackmail us into replacing perfectly good xpdrs. I don't consider blackmail to be good customer service, especially when we literally have *no* alternative to their product.

x-ring
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't consider blackmail to be good customer service, especially when we literally have *no* alternative to their product.

That's what pisses me off. Especially when AMB wants $300+ for exactly the same technology that the state turnpike authority will sell you for $10. At the grocery store.

Flyinglizard
12-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe we should try the "Sunpass" and see if the timer takes it??
:> MM

frederic944
12-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm having exactly the same issue, I bought a race car with an AMB transponder already hard wired to teh vehicle and didn't think it was a problem..
And when I asked at Mylaps to unregister it and put it to my name, I have been told it's not possible but can buy a new one.., completely BS..!!!

Yes, post something here if you find resolution...

Thanks

Frederic

bonespec
12-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Find a way to list the lap info on somewhere else than MyLaps.

This would require someone able to convert the file info from AMB program into a simple txt format.

I race RC cars and have three AMB personal transponders. The laps are saved in .pdf format I believe.

Couldn't after the racing is done, the files be hosted for easy download in .pdf format?

I know our little personal units can be copied, wonder if same company could copy the REAL car units?

You can just make out my AMB personal transponder for RC car on the left side of this picture

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/RC%20Stuff/ROC%20Front%20end/PB240009.jpg

jdraper08
01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
I just got a car with a transponder, luckily, the previous owner hadnt registered it.:happy204: Read this:

http://www.mylaps.com/general/usedtransponders.jsp

Greg Amy
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
IRead this:
In other words: F U.

BruceG
01-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I just got a car with a transponder, luckily, the previous owner hadnt registered it.:happy204: Read this:

http://www.mylaps.com/general/usedtransponders.jsp

Just as there are new competitors for HNR devices perhaps we will get competition for AMB and get them off their high perch!

I started this thread after purchasing a spec miata with the hard wired transponder included. Since we have this issue, I will purchase the portable transponder, move it between vehicles and never give AMB any business ever again(unless something breaks).

What goes around comes around!!:dead_horse:

chewy8000
01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks to this thread I yanked mine when I sold the rabbit and put it in the new build.

tom_sprecher
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Unless you are fortunate enough to own mulitple race cars I never understood the desire to have a portable unit that required recharging. Seems like a big PITA and one more thing I'd forget to do, but to each his own.

When I bought my previous car it did not come with a transponder and the PO used a rechargable unit.

jlucas
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM
In other words: F U.

Greg, clearly you missed this:
"Until the end of 2008, all orders placed through our webshop will be shipped free."

See how nicely they are looking out for us :D

mtownneon
01-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Unless you are fortunate enough to own mulitple race cars I never understood the desire to have a portable unit that required recharging. Seems like a big PITA and one more thing I'd forget to do, but to each his own.

When I bought my previous car it did not come with a transponder and the PO used a rechargable unit.

Really, we yanked ours out of our old car and have installed it in the new one.

While I see the point of the convenience of being able to transfer the registration of a transponder, I also understand AMB's position on a transponder being a registrants "for life". Just as a Social Security number is unique to every individual, so goes a transponder.

Unless you're 'getting out', you'd have to spend the money for another transponder anyway for the next car, so what difference does it make. If you are 'getting out', then it's a cost you have to absorb like maintainance items.

datadude
01-18-2009, 12:45 PM
The easiest fix for this is to get the original owners user name and password for Mylaps, the new owner can set up a new account for his new transponder. The transponder # is identified by T&S to the actual driver at the event not the original owner of the transponder. Mylaps is NOT an official results site for SCCA, it does not have all the necessary info that OFFICIAL results are required to have. The only official site for results is the SCCA web page under club racing and then national and regionals and then the individual events. T&S has to send them the OFFICIAL results, within 7 days of the event.
SCCA is only a small portion of AMB's business so trying a scare tactic isn't going to work.

JoshS
01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Mylaps is NOT an official results site for SCCA, it does not have all the necessary info that OFFICIAL results are required to have.

What information is on the results on mylaps is entirely up to the organization that uploads them. There is no reason why all of the required info couldn't be there, and in fact, some regions do use mylaps as their official results site, including all of the info.

pgipson
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
From the GCR

5.10.3. Results
A. Provisional Results
One of the two lap charts or a printout showing order of finish and number of laps completed for each car shall be posted and titled as Provisional Results. The time of posting shall be noted on the Provisional Results and an announcement made.
Pending the decision of the SOM, the results of the competition shall be considered Provisional.
B. Final Results
1. At the expiration of the protest period, Provisional Results may be considered final. The Final Results should be titled as Final or Official Results and shall include the following types of information: description of event, timing and scoring information, and driver information.
2. The description of the event shall include: location of event, date, sanction number, name of conducting region, length of course, and duration of race (laps or miles).
3. The timing and scoring information shall include: total number of entries, including DNF’s and DNS’s, the overall and class finishing positions for all starters, the number of laps completed for all starters, the overall time of the race, the winner’s margin of victory, the winner’s average speed, the fastest lap time for all starters and any new course records.
4. The driver information shall include: driver’s full name, hometown, state, region of record, car number, car make and model, and car year as required per GCR. It is required that the competition license number be included in the driver information.
5. Optional information to show on the Final Results includes: the overall time and average speed for each class winner, pit stop information, accident reports, and sponsorship. This may be provided on documents (i.e. Entry List) other than “Final Results” and submitted to the national office, divisional pointskeeper and other officials.
6. When a car is disqualified, excluded, or withdrawn, the results should list the car at the bottom of the finishing order, showing the true finishing order as affected by the disqualification, exclusion, or withdrawal. The results should show the final overall and class positions, as adjusted, for all finishers.
I've never tried to use mylaps data for submission of contingency awards. Will tire (or other suppliers) take them without the Chief of T&S signature?