PDA

View Full Version : Economy?

dtanthon
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
How will this current economic condition affect your 2009 SCCA racing season?
How will this affect the volunteer SCCA workers?

The regions are planning the 2009 season and their events. The 2008 season had many good events and several bad events for the regions hosting. Should there be less events in 2009?

Check www.NARRC.com (http://www.NARRC.com) for the 2009 NARRC schedule.
The NeSCCA site should have the full northeast schedule soon.
Expect Bob to post the Pro-IT schedule as well.

Thanks,
Darrell
NNJR-RE
#27 ITS
'victim of economy as if 1/1/09'

shwah
11-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I rode home from Atlanta planning to go to IT Fest and ARRC next year.

Looking at the current conditions, I may spend the season helping a friend develop an FP car and working events instead. 09 will be a rough ride.

gran racing
11-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Should there be less events in 2009?

There should have been a few less in 2008 and because there weren't, several regions thoughout the country were hurt. It seems to have impacted the smaller regions moreso, but absolutely has an impact on all. I also recognize that regions don't want to give up their dates. Hopefully regions will be able to work together a bit more on their scheduling and combining efforts.

JohnRW
11-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Looking at both the NEDiv National and Regional schedules for 2009, it seems that the "racing" Regions in the Division are trying to commit financial suicide. Has no one on the NEDiv Council been reading the papers for the last few months ?

But that's just my opinion.

Greg Amy
11-18-2008, 01:59 PM
...which I share. I often wonder what kind of vacuum these decisions are made...

Darrell: yes, of course, I'll be cutting back. It's the prudent thing to do. And, yes, "we" should cut back the schedule quite a bit, for the same reason.

(Non-sequitor: John, did you notice the black Acura Integra that passed and waved at you guys Sunday AM on the way back from VIR? 'Twas me in the new donor-car/shell. Oh, and did you notice the same black Acura Integra pulled over on Highway 6 north of Livingston...? Ditto... ;) )

lateapex911
11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Yea, I'm thinking hard about next year. Of course, leaving money in my stock fund is a worse way to lose it than racing it away....:blink:

JohnRW
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
(Non-sequitor: John, did you notice the black Acura Integra that passed and waved at you guys Sunday AM on the way back from VIR? 'Twas me in the new donor-car/shell. Oh, and did you notice the same black Acura Integra pulled over on Highway 6 north of Livingston...?

You probably just got a confused look.

I wasn't towing...I was flogging my Volvo home. You were waving at the other John, in his white van. Highway 6, north of Livingston ? Huh ? That would not have been on either of our routes. Were you broken down ?

We continue to experiment with our "Enduro-Lite" concept...to see just how little we can bring to the track for a long enduro. We went from "fully loaded enclosed with spare motor/suspension/anything imaginable" of 10 years ago, to "Dually pulling open trailer, with chase-Cargo van loaded with parts" the past two years, to this year's iteration: "Cargo-van loaded with minimum stuff, pulling open trailer". Left the overhead fuel rig at home. Rudy from Kumho drove with us, so we saved room on tires (Miatas are easy on tires, anyway). And we still won ITA. Maybe next year we'll put plates on the car and drive it down. Sure did cut down on the diesel fuel bill this year.

wcmcarlos
11-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I am retired, and the economy has made big changes for us.

I sold the race car on e-bay, also the trailer, the Honda ATV, and our boat.

Stopped taking draw from investments.

Gas here is down to $1.90, so we can take the motorhome to Sebring to work events at a cost of $50.,, after worker perks are figured in.
Still can't work Daytona though, no camping on site, and longer haul.

My thinking is that I can rent an average ITB car for far less than owning one, just to keep the license active.

Central Florida Region is blessed with low entry fees, but with smaller fields, that can change.

I found myself in total agreement with the editorials in this month's
GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS magazine, that racing, even in a poor economy, can still be a quality experience.

See you on the grid,
Carlos

Greg Amy
11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Were you broken down ?
Having a one-on-one conversation about specific rates of travel with one of VA's finest.

We continue to experiment with our "Enduro-Lite" concept...
I hear you. We're talking about keeping the enclosed trailer but sleeping in it, and anything we don't actually "touch" for a weekend gets left home next time...

John Nesbitt
11-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Looking at both the NEDiv National and Regional schedules for 2009, it seems that the "racing" Regions in the Division are trying to commit financial suicide. Has no one on the NEDiv Council been reading the papers for the last few months ?

The tentative NEDiv schedule for 2009 shows 2 fewer regionals (I think) than 2008, or about a 7% reduction. What's the over/under on the likely decline in entries next year?

I suspect that a lot of folks recognize that there are too many events for the likely turnout, but everybody wants the 'other region' to cancel their event. And, to be fair, a track date, once lost, is hard to regain.

Here is an anecdotal data point for you: I raced and/or stewarded 25 events this year in GLDiv, NEDiv, and SEDiv. Of those 25 events, only 6 or 7 had an entry equal to or greater than the corresponding event in 2007.

And 2009 shows every prospect of being tougher still.

JohnRW
11-18-2008, 04:21 PM
IIRIC (if I read it correctly), NEDiv's 2009 sked is only 1 less than 2008 (don't count the Pumpkin...on the sked but cancelled). I'm one of the voices on my Region's BOD advocating dropping one of our dates. But...you are correct...no individual Region has any incentive to "not race", so in NEDiv we'll just continue to "eat each other's young". I"ve yapped about this in previous years...we're racing too much in NEDiv. Worker-staff burnout. Declining fields. Increasing numbers of Regions taking a financial hit on race weekends. Oh joy.

Individually, while it's nice to look at the schedule and think "Cool...I could race every weekend in this division, from late April thru October", is that really a good thing for our organization(s) ?

I have another rant about the National schedule. It's a doozie...get earplugs.....

Jeremy Billiel
11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I have been on record, like a broken record, for years saying that all of New England needs to contract and reduce the amount of events it hosts. Yes I am very aware of the politics, and yes I know the inside information. I still think we need to shrink and there should under no circumstances have multiple events competiting on the same weekend.

Just my strong opinion.

Robert Zecca
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I attended the mini con a few weeks ago and was surprised that two of the major regions in the NE still want to hold 6 regionals each for 2009. This can be suicide for each of the regions and unfair to the workers. Some regions will just have one and a few four. It is my opinion that we have less events, make these events more quality and sacrifice for 09 in hopes that we make it to 2010. The regions must work together.

WRITE TO YOUR REGIONS OR CALL and voice your thoughts and opinions. Most of us get it.

Sincerely,
Bob Zecca

dickita15
11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Bob
You say that like all regions are the same. Those two regions serve over 5000 members. of course they will have more races than a region of 400.

Doc Bro
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
The thing that makes this even more rediculous is that we want ALL the events we have but we still only count 8 out of 12 for the NARRC championship. Hmmm, we need the revenues, we won't cut races, and you as a driver only need to go to 66% of them. Seems to me like revenues will be down about 33%.

Let's put the politics aside and try to run this like a business. The goals of a business are to attract and retain customers and to be profitable. I think we should do what's necessary to defray costs. If we drop events so be it. To make decisions based on fear [that we'll lose the evnt] is poor decision making and myopic. Let's worry about staying solvent first, we can worry about getting the date back in the future.

BTW, when I was a drivers rep last year (whole nuther story there!!) I advocated the same thing, and the moneyfund isue and, and, and....

While I think this exercise is worthwile I doubt anything will change......

R

BlueStreak
11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
My business (mechanical design service) just wrapped up its worst three quarters since its inception 10 years ago.

I just sold the road race car and the trailer:(

Still have a TimeTrials car that can be driven to events:D.

Looking to rent to keep the license hot...

tdw6974
11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I suspect we will do less events than 2008. (We are only 45 miles from Watkins Glen) went to NJ twice for Pro-IT(6.5 hrs 278.00 for fuel), Twice to Pocono (2 hrs down more on way back because of bridge construction on 81 Dave Z will attest to that:rolleyes:), Cut out the June Race at nelson, Ran all we could at WGI. at This point not certain about 2009. The property & casualty end of Business is Holding up ok. Financial End well it sucks and since it is becoming more and more complicated to maintain compliance wise and cost wise may see that go away for 2009. I know that our region tried to make some changes in schedule( Big one was to move Drivers school from October to July date) in hopes that it might attract more entrants with first school in April then move Glen region school to July might have a better chance to make it convenient for new drivers and allow for more time to be able to participant in rest of summer and still Have the WDCR have final school as they do now. Unable to get the schedule changed since we need Thursday evening and Friday to stage school. Personally I would like to see the July Sprints become a double with a Pro-it included for good measure:D. I know NNJR had conflict with NH lets face it if its closer that's where most will go. Looking to save when and where we can:eclipsee_steering:

Speed Raycer
11-18-2008, 11:25 PM
My brother and I are actually hoping to do more events this year. '08 was a bad year for us. We probably won't be doing more wheel to wheel races, but more HPDE/PDX or Test n Tune days. We're developing/learning the car so we need to have the most bang for the buck. A Club Racing weekend aint where the seat time/bang per buck is.

The Midwest Division lost 2 or 3 points races in '08. Hopefully they'll figure out that the division (workers or drivers) can't handle a race every weekend. St. Louis co-hosted the drivers school with Memphis and only held 3 races, the 3rd of which was pretty sparse. I hope they'll seriously look into pulling their PDX program to run on the same days as the Club Races. Might be a way of filling the paddock. Their PDX program actually did pretty well this year with just about every event (even Wed. Night 4 hour sessions) being sold out.

tnord
11-18-2008, 11:33 PM
The Midwest Division lost 2 or 3 points races in '08. Hopefully they'll figure out that the division (workers or drivers) can't handle a race every weekend. St. Louis co-hosted the drivers school with Memphis and only held 3 races, the 3rd of which was pretty sparse. I hope they'll seriously look into pulling their PDX program to run on the same days as the Club Races. Might be a way of filling the paddock. Their PDX program actually did pretty well this year with just about every event (even Wed. Night 4 hour sessions) being sold out.

it was two races. Hallett and Hastings. the double school is now put on by about six regions this year (at MAM). since it's always a money loser, this way a bigger chunk of the region can share the cost, as the schools really do benefit everyone in the Division.

i've seen the preliminary schedule, and it looks as if we finally are starting to figure it out. there's a few less weekends this year....so hopefully it'll be easier on the workers, and the paddocks will be fuller this year.

....and oh yeah.....i plan on doing more this year rather than less. of course last year i did zero. and i've been lucky so far, surviving three rounds of layoffs at work so far.

RacerBill
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I did three events last year and plan to do four in 2009 (GLD is adding a new track - Bluegrass Raceway in Kentucky). Also, three of the events have PDX's, so we'll get three hours more track time without adding more towing. (paid $1.67 for fuel this morning, and getting more Giant Eagle discounts by buying Home Depot gift cards to buy the material needed to finish the basement!)

dtanthon
11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
We will be having a NARRC meeting soon to discuss rules for 2009. Track bonus and number of events bonus. Andy should be contacting the driver's committee for input as well.

For NARRC 10 weekends make up the 14 rounds. No conflicts with NARRC regions (NER/NYR/MoHud/NNJR), there are other events at Summit Point (DC) and WGI (FLR/Glen) that may conflict but we are not eating our own this year I hope.

Comments on the NARRC schedule.

2009 NARRC Schedule
Week - Date - Track (D=Double) (region)
16 - 04/18/09 - NHMS (NER)
17 - 04/25/09
18 - 05/02/09
19 - 05/09/09 - Pocono (D) (NNJR)
20 - 05/16/09
21 - 05/23/09 - NHMS (D) (NER)
22 - 05/30/09 - LRP (NNJR) (1 day - Sat Only)
23 - 06/06/09
24 - 06/13/09
25 - 06/20/09 - LRP (NER) (1 day - Sat Only)
26 - 06/27/09
27 - 07/04/09
28 - 07/11/09
29 - 07/18/09 - NJMP T (SJR/NNJR) w/MARRS
30 - 07/25/09 - WGI (D) (GLEN)
31 - 08/01/09
32 - 08/08/09
33 - 08/15/09
34 - 08/22/09 - NJMP L (NNJR/SJR) w/MARRS
35 - 08/29/09
36 - 09/05/09
37 - 09/12/09 - NHMS (D) (NER)
38 - 09/19/09
39 - 09/26/09
40 - 10/03/09 - LRP (Double Points) (NYR)
41 - 10/10/09

As FYI
42 - 10/17/09 - NJMP L (NARRC vs. MARRS final) (Fri - Qual, Sat & Sun = 3 races)

BTW - IT and SM are the majority of entries for any given regional weekend, that is why I am using this board to get input.

Thanks,
DA

gran racing
11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I like how the first two LRP dates are only on Sat. since we can't seem to get a double event if held on a Fri/Sat.

RedMisted
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
In '09, I'll probably concentrate more on car development/testing as opposed to actual racing. Plus, I don't need to race: Just doing lapping days at various tracks and getting my speed thrills is enough for me if I am not to afford the risk of a wrecked car.
(No, I don't wreck cars at lapping days. If you wreck a car at a lapping day, you are driving stupid, plain and simple. There's no excuse to smash a ride in a non-race/qualifying/sanctioned practice situation, unless you are a Penske or a Hendrick or a Saudi, etc.):cool:

Dave Zaslow
11-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Darrell,

My plans are to run the same as last year. I may add one race for a LRP single or a NJMP weekend.

DZ

dtanthon
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Any more comments on this?
Good thing my accounts are with Citi.......

Ed Funk
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
We'll run more than last year, with more cars:o. We'll pick and choose to maximize our fun. The B car may not be ready, VIN switch from C, motor rebuilds on the C and B, and learn to drive with triple digit HP(the A car), oh boy!:)

tom_sprecher
11-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Racing Regions do not want to give up dates since they are nearly impossible to get back and for the most part race dates pay the bills. If the entries do not materialize, expenses in other areas must be cut.

I have my own business selling large capital equipment in the packaging industry, that is when that industry is experiencing growth. Being paid straight commission, I received precious little of it this year. At the last minute (literally) I had to pass on the Labor Day Barber double because after adding it all up I felt I could not afford the $1200. It was the right call since shortly after the economy really tanked. As bad as this year was, I can look forward to next year being much worse.

Speaking of which I will run ProIT events at Road Atlanta during the Spring and maybe CMP on Memorial Day weekend. After that the pool opens, the bikinis come out and it's too damn hot to race. I'll still cook the Saturday Dinner at the July race, run the ARRC and that will be it.

Unless I win the lottery.

lateapex911
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Did I hear somebody invite me to a bikini part-ay????

raffaelli
11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
You bringing your avatar in a bikini?:happy204:

lateapex911
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
If only! I'm not that financially well off, LOL

tom_sprecher
11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
With nips like that, who needs a bikini? :tongueout:

dazzlesa
11-25-2008, 09:06 PM
2006 and 2007 stunk for our company. alot of effort produced a huge positive change for us in 2008. i can only hope we can keep swimming against the current in 2009.
as for racing i hope that it does not get effected. i will concentrait on the tracks and races i consider fun. limerock, the glen. marrs 1, new jersey. maybe vir in march and the it festival and the arrc are always maybee's. yuck for nhis and pocono.

dominojd
11-26-2008, 06:58 AM
and learn to drive with triple digit HP(the A car), oh boy!:)

Ed you better leave the A car home, it will be to fast and you might hurt yourself. :D

Ed Funk
11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Hell, Joe, a lot of people can attest to the fact that I can do that in the C car! :shrug: Especially Steph, she's come through and seen me "off" on a few occasions, so far she's managed to not gloat until after the race.:rolleyes:

Seabee
11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Ed, I am in the process of converting the black Miata(and Watkins Glen blue) into a dedicated ITA car.

It should be ready in the spring.

I only competed in 7 races last year versus on average 10. For 2009 I would expect something similar and will conducting a lot of tests to dial in the suspension. Also Paul should have the FP Miata ready for testing in 09.

I just need to stop hitting walls and blowing motors.

Ed Funk
12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
'zat you Steve? Oh no another ita M****!!:o

Flyinglizard
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM
The cash flow lies with new meat. Run the double schools as the first event of the year. Like Roebling. This gets the newbs all exited and ready to race for the rest of the year. The loss $ of the school will come back as entries at later races, IMHO.
Parents will pay for their kids to partake, well after their own racing.
Ask me how I know?
Racng for me is huge this year, rentals, prep , engines, all busy.
My Son will try to do the Roebling school. He is fast, careful, and coachable. Life is good.
Mike Ogren. FL.
Lfe is good

Seabee
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes it's me Ed. I'm trying to get the body work completed and then work on the suspension.

What's the story on the Opel. Vintage time?

Ed Funk
12-01-2008, 12:34 PM
[quote=Seabee;278268]
What's the story on the Opel. Vintage time?[/

Parting it out, want some?

Folks, this guy is Steve Frederick, engineer by trade, SM racer for a few years, looks like he's coming over to us from the "Dark Side".

Welcome! At least here if you get hit it's probably on purpose!:D ----except for Joe!

lateapex911
12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome! At least here if you get hit it's probably on purpose!:D ----except for Joe!

And even then the odds are 50/50 it was intentional! :rolleyes:

Seabee
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I'll still have the other Miata in pure SM trim.

I had a great time running ITA at WGI during the Fun One.

Ed Funk
12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
And even then the odds are 50/50 it was intentional! :rolleyes:

Ya' know, we're pickin' on Joe, and he doesn't post until the early am hours, right now he's probably out layin' some pipe in some lady's-----kitchen, yeah kitchen!:cool:

Oh, damn! I just thought, this is Joe the plumber, do ya' think it's the real Joe the Plumber!:024: