PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question...the right coil over kit..

ITA_honda
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey everyone,
I have a 1990 Honda Civic Si in ITA.

This winter will be the suspension "re-do"

While there are plenty of companies out there that promise the best, which is the best coil over kit for the car?

Any ideas?
any advice will help!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

spnkzss
11-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Ground Control or if you have Koni's you can go Ground Control or Koni sleeves.

Xian
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Koni single or double adjustables along with GC or Koni sleeves.

Tom Blaney
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Design, they are lighter, have excellent adjustments , oh and did I say they are lighter

Xian
11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
AD's also require more frequent rebuilds and are more fragile... but, hey, at least they're more expensive right?

Christian, who'd like to point out that the ARRC ITA Podium was full of guys on Koni's.

lateapex911
11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
After going thru way too many Advance Designs, and learning AFTER the purchase that it's "normal" for them to leak, and they need to be refilled regularly, (requiring removal from the strut tube, and the purchase of the filler gadgets, and the carrying of a nitrogen tank, bla bla bla,,), I'd suggest other options.....
:rolleyes:

Koni has done great stuff with the IT type designs, and Lee Grimes is an awesome guy to work with....

hint hint, nudge nudge...

dazzlesa
11-17-2008, 09:04 PM
i have the advance design shocks on my integra. a pain to check the preasures but they have worked well. i have konis in my civic and they were not cheap to revalve and shorten.

Xian
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
FWIW, Koni sells the "Yellows" Race Valved and pre-shortened now... out the door, shipped to you price is around $1200 or less.

edit & PS:
Most of the issues I've heard with the AD's were related to using the curbs or accidental off's causing them to blow. Worst instance I've seen was a set going from "brand new" to 100% bustificated FR shock in less than a day.

RSTPerformance
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
The coil overs you can get just about anyplace... its whats inside them that matters the most :)

Bilstiens are the most durable and best value (affordable) IMO...

On the Audi's we got about 10 very fast laps at Lime Rock before they would blow out. The only solution Koni was able to come up with was about 5 or 6 times as expensive as the Bilstiens that we switched to. Lee Grimes is a great guy to work with though, he helped us a ton while we tried to get the Koni's to work. The AS Mustang we had never had any issues with the Koni's.

I am not a fan of Ground Control at all. They have caused someone close to me to wast a ton of money suggesting an increadibly wrong suspension setup (way to soft)... after 2 races the entire suspension was swaped out for a different product.

Raymond "Hit a Honda, opps I mean not in a Honda but thought I would through out our experience..." Blethen

Xian
11-17-2008, 10:19 PM
10 laps? Ouch. That would seriously suck. The Honda app's from Koni are pretty friggin' bulletproof. I mean "bulletproof" like they can go several seasons before needing freshening.

R2 Racing
11-18-2008, 02:15 AM
10 laps? Ouch. That would seriously suck. The Honda app's from Koni are pretty friggin' bulletproof. I mean "bulletproof" like they can go several seasons before needing freshening.
I had my Koni yellows on my Integra shortened and revalved half way through 2004. I've since ran 4.5 more seasons on them, and probably close to 60 races or something, without touching them again. I had Lee dyno them for me half way through 2006, and they were still good as new then.

Everything I've ever heard about AD's is that they can work quite well, but they're fragile and expensive. I have yet to bend or blow out a Koni, and I'm pretty good at "stress testing" my parts.

ITA_honda
11-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Guys!!!! For All Your Input! I Appreciate It!