PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell question

mtownneon
11-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Is anyone running a fuel cell (http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=329524#) in their car?

I'm looking at doing it in my latest car (http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=329524#), a Neon. Really I'm looking at moving the fuel load back a foot to help rear weight bias a bit and curious if any one has done it and if the extra work is worth the effort?

pballance
11-13-2008, 12:39 PM
I am running a cell and if I recall the GCR correctly, you must mount it in the OEM location or as near to it as possible for an IT legal car.

I am sure others will chime in.........

Paul

EDIT:

You can move it "within 12 inches" of the stock location. May be some advantage in that for you.

From the GCR:

"The stock fuel tank may be replaced with a fuel cell. The fuelITCS

cell shall be located within twelve (12) inches of the original
fuel tank location. Additional reinforcement may be added to
support the fuel cell, but such reinforcement shall not attach
to the roll cage. Floor pan may be modified for installation. See
GCR Section 9.3.26., for requirements."

Knestis
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Don't have the book in front of me but I think the magic number is 10". The way that's typically been interpreted is that if any part of the fuel cell is within 10" of where any part of the original tank was, then you're OK.

Everyone has opinions, tho.

K

jay05
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Per GCR

Fuel cells must be located within 12 inches of the standard tank. The 12- inch measurement is taken from the perimeter of the stock and alternative fuel cell.

mtownneon
11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
The rule is now 12" perimiter to perimiter, that's why I'm considering it. That would put the cell about where the spare tire well is now. 12 gallons of fuel and the cell and structure would 100# moved back in the car.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this in their Neon and if it made enough of a difference to go to the rouble.