PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Bolt-In Cage

spnkzss
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Are they even legal anymore? I know the pads need to be welded, but the rest of it? If not, would welding the joints together even be legal?

No I'm not a fan of it in any matter, but a possible purchase as a starter car for someone that has a log book from '05.

ddewhurst
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Spanky, if your talking about cages for the SCCA you need to read the GCR with reference to roll cages. Rules are wonderful when one understands the rules.:) If you do not own a GCR you could most likely Google SCCA & find a readable version of the GCR.

spnkzss
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Spanky, if your talking about cages for the SCCA you need to read the GCR with reference to roll cages. Rules are wonderful when one understands the rules.:) If you do not own a GCR you could most likely Google SCCA & find a readable version of the GCR.

I have, and do, but I'm a little confused. There is a car with a log book from '05 that has a bolt in cage. Appendix G states: The cage shall be welded to the car, and all mandatory tubes shall use welded joint construction.

So how did it get a log book? Does welding the bars where the bolts are make it legal?

ITC Racer
11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I think you are looking at the cage specs for Touring which do not allow bolt in cages. As I read this, Improved Touring cars fall under the Showroom Stock cage specs and can still be bolted in or welded.

spnkzss
11-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I think you are looking at the cage specs for Touring which do not allow bolt in cages. As I read this, Improved Touring cars fall under the Showroom Stock cage specs and can still be bolted in or welded.

And there lies my stupidity. Thank you.

924Guy
11-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Now now, if you're gonna be that forthright about your errors, you'll never have a future in public office... ;)

spnkzss
11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Now now, if you're gonna be that forthright about your errors, you'll never have a future in public office... ;)

WOOOHOOO :happy204: