PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jeff Young.....

Tristan Smith
11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Have any interest in selling that 300zx to someone in need? pm me if you want to talk. ummm...,I would be the one in need. [email protected].

Ron Earp
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Tristan,

What's up, are you in need of a car? I helped Jeff offload the Z a few weeks ago, pretty cool and would make a good race car. Be some work for ITR status but I think you could handle it easily.

Ron

Tristan Smith
11-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey Tristan,

What's up, are you in need of a car? I helped Jeff offload the Z a few weeks ago, pretty cool and would make a good race car. Be some work for ITR status but I think you could handle it easily.

Ron

I think the 240sx is totaled, and if not, a lot more money and work than I may want to put back in it. So I am considering my options. I screwed up at turn 6 and hit the wet grass. The only thing stopping me at that point was the wall. It did too. It was all driver error and that's what hurts the most. Dumb, dumb! Dumb. Not much I can do now.

Ron Earp
11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Tristan, I'm sorry to hear that. Main thing is you're ok - cars can be replaced. Interested in a older Z car? We know of one that has a beautiful modern cage (about 6 months old, Competition Cages), nice body, just waiting for someone to assemble it. Has all the parts.

Ron

Greg Amy
11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I think the 240sx is totaled, and if not, a lot more money and work than I may want to put back in it.
I'm seein' a match made in heaven, here:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24144

- Yente

(Crap, I'm just thinking about how tempting this is...!!!)

spawpoet
11-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Tristan, I'm sorry to hear that. Main thing is you're ok - cars can be replaced. Interested in a older Z car? We know of one that has a beautiful modern cage (about 6 months old, Competition Cages), nice body, just waiting for someone to assemble it. Has all the parts.

Ron

Ron, what are the details on the older Z-car?? My uncle just unloaded one of his EP Datsun 2000, and this might be of interest to him.

Ron Earp
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Email or PM me and I'll get you in contact with the person.

Tristan Smith
11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Not too interested in that old of a Z. They are great cars, but it's getting hard to find stuff for a 20 year old 240sx! I don't want to know what it's like for a Z of that vintage, ha. Besides I already have a vintage Datsun. I am not sure what's next. If I had 4 g's lying around I may have considered the 240sx that GA pointed out, but for that kind of money I could probably reclip the front of my car. So who knows. Sigh.

mom'sZ
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Ron, what are the details on the older Z-car?? My uncle just unloaded one of his EP Datsun 2000, and this might be of interest to him.
Damn Chris, ya beat me to it (you need to go back to work)

Not too interested in that old of a Z. They are great cars, but it's getting hard to find stuff for a 20 year old 240sx! I don't want to know what it's like for a Z of that vintage, ha.
It's a way of life. You just have to spend your life on the interwebs. (see above... and he already has a warehouse full of the damn things)

edit: dog gone... check it out, I have senior member status on this web site

timo944
12-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Tristan I have the '86 300ZX still. Now that I am re-assembling the 944 I might unload it. It runs well, needs two Koni shocks, or rebuild them. It's all legal and up to date. I got hit in Kershaw in the RF wheel and it broke the strut and bent up the fender but I have the parts to repair them.

Let me know if you're intersted. It's a pretty good car now that I got the bugs worked out - probably good for 1:44 at RA with new tires.

Tristan Smith
12-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks Tim, but I have found a 300zx. The build will commence shortly. It's a 1991 Z32 zx.

JeffYoung
12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Excellent! Slicktop and with an engine?

In a couple of years, I'll need some advice from you. Good luck with the build..can't wait to see the car.

zracre
12-07-2008, 11:29 AM
nice! More ITR cars the better!

Tristan Smith
12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Yep, found a slicktop, with a motor. I have to fix some body damgae, but it's not too terrible. I am looking forward to the build. I will probably just run the motor as is for a while, to see what this beast will be like. I am excited about the project.

bobpink
12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Tristan, wish I had seen this thread earlier. The old ITS 300ZX that was built by Larry Stepp and later owned by Mike Fitzgerald is languishing unloved beside the OPM Autosports shop. A lot of the goodies have disappeared over the years, but the basic car is still all there and good to rebuild from. I'd give Tom a call over there and see what the deal is.

I recall the old Steve McCarley "Udder Car" being around as well. There was talk of rebuilding the car for historics, but this car is pretty well worn out and may only be suitable for parts. If interested, I am sure I can locate Steve and find out about it.

Tristan Smith
12-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Tristan, wish I had seen this thread earlier. The old ITS 300ZX that was built by Larry Stepp and later owned by Mike Fitzgerald is languishing unloved beside the OPM Autosports shop. A lot of the goodies have disappeared over the years, but the basic car is still all there and good to rebuild from. I'd give Tom a call over there and see what the deal is.

I recall the old Steve McCarley "Udder Car" being around as well. There was talk of rebuilding the car for historics, but this car is pretty well worn out and may only be suitable for parts. If interested, I am sure I can locate Steve and find out about it.

Thanks Bob. Those are both ITS Z31 cars. I am going to try the ITR Z32 route. It'll be interesting to see what this car will do.

bobpink
12-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Have fun with the Z32. From what I know about these cars the one thing that will need paying attention to is the brakes. They're big and heavy.

Well, if anyone is looking for a Z31 version of the 300ZX, now you know where there is a good ITS tub with cage and all to start with. This car used to be one of the nicest cars on the track.

slickS14
12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the Fitzgerald car got sold last year some time and parted out, Timo944 correct me if I'm wrong. I also have 2 1984 hardtops for sale. One is a tub only and the other is a very early car in tact that has VIN# 001349 built in 08/83 if anybody is interested in a good street car. Chris

JeffYoung
12-11-2008, 11:44 AM
You know (as an owner of a to be Z32 ITR car), I have heard this about the brakes several times, but having looked at them they seem like they are of sufficient size (both rotor and pad) to handle things.

Has anyone here tracked an N/Z Z32? Compared to other cars at its race weight (3200 lbs or so), the car looks like it has decent equipment on the brake side of things.

Have fun with the Z32. From what I know about these cars the one thing that will need paying attention to is the brakes. They're big and heavy.

Well, if anyone is looking for a Z31 version of the 300ZX, now you know where there is a good ITS tub with cage and all to start with. This car used to be one of the nicest cars on the track.

RacerBowie
12-11-2008, 11:56 AM
You know (as an owner of a to be Z32 ITR car), I have heard this about the brakes several times, but having looked at them they seem like they are of sufficient size (both rotor and pad) to handle things.

Has anyone here tracked an N/Z Z32? Compared to other cars at its race weight (3200 lbs or so), the car looks like it has decent equipment on the brake side of things.

A buddy of mine used to track a stock non turbo Z32 and never ever had brake problems. Then he sold it and went SS racing in a Neon and was relatively competitive, so that should be a reasonable comparison, especially since he never did any ducting or anything.

GJB1
12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm more worried about the tires. Tristan likes to put 3,465 heat cycles on a set before buying new ones. Might have to cut that down a bit with the new car since the T in T-4 could mean Tank instead of Thelma. (No, I don't want pay for new tires either!! I'm just saying..)

--Greg Brown
T-Rex Racing Crew Member (at least until Tristan kicks me out for making fun of his old tires)

DavidM
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Compared to what you currently drive, anything would have good brakes. :D I'm curious to see what happens when somebody gets a Z32 out there. I still think brakes could be an issue, especially at tracks hard on brakes like CMP. 3200 lbs is a lot of weight to slow down with 11.5" rotors. With ducting and the right pads it can be mitigated, but I'm curious to see how things go towards the end of a race.

David

JeffYoung
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Like Greg said (Greg, good to hear from you man!), I think tires are going to be a bigger issue. Z has good vented rotors front and rear with big pads up front, decent rear. Looks like with ducting and other stuff I've learned, should be fine.

I worry about the tires staying consistent at that weight, but we will see. I mean, a 325 weighs FIVE HUNDRED pounds less, and makes good power and torque.

Definitely a contender car though. at least on paper.

Tristan Smith
12-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I too think the brakes will be fine. And as long as you stuff as much tire under the car as legally possible, I think the tires may be ok too. I already have been driving a car that's heavy for it's class, has good brakes, and can get greasy on it's tires after a few laps. So in many ways it shouldn't be a huge transition.
The first race school I did (17 years ago, dear god I am getting old) at Road Atlanta used the Z32 Z. It had a cage, full interior, ac/, so a lot of weight, and I don't recall the brakes or tires being a problem. But that's why you race........so we'll see.
I just about have the 240sx stripped, so hopefully I can start looking at the Z and see what's needed to get started.
Oh, and Greg, your fired!