PDA

View Full Version : Race Groups and Split Starts

Butch Kummer
10-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I've asked the Chief Steward (Laurie Sheppard) to do an RFA to move the current singleton DP & ITU entries from Group 2 to Group 5. I've talked to both drivers and they're fine with it (actually prefer it), so I expect that will be approved.

Although she's not a fan of them, Laurie understands the unique nature of the ARRC by GRM (the National Championship for non-Runoffs Classes) makes split starts desireable to many racers. It's not cast in concrete, but I can reasonably expect split starts in the following:

Group 1 - ITB & ITC
Group 2 - all ASM, so no split needed (maybe the '99's and others?:cool:)
Group 3 - ITA & IT7, then put the single GP where it fits best
Group 4 - ITR/ITS & SPU
Group 5 - no split needed
Group 6 - may split TCC off
Group 7 - split for FB
Group 8 - SPO & GTA (currently our biggest group!)
Group 9 - CF/FFX & FST

Our award-winning Start Staff is NOT a fan of split starts because the second group knows the first group got the green and begins racing long before the second green comes out. We will have start judges to identify specific offenders (who will then be black-flagged), but if the entire group is messed up then the Operating Steward will throw a Black Flag All and the (both) races will be restarted. Since the race clock starts when the first group crosses S/F, the collection of the field, re-grid on Pit Road, and second pace lap all count against the 35-minute time limit. I'm guessing you'll be lucky to get ten laps in after all that. In short, DON'T SCREW UP THE STARTS!

And yes, I'll go over all this at Friday's Drivers' Meeting during lunch. Not everyone attends that meeting, however, so I thought I'd mention it here as well.

See y'all in a week...

924Guy
10-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Good to hear Group 8 is big - always fun to watch, from the sounds alone! :D

R2 Racing
10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Excellent. Thanks again, Butch!