PDA

View Full Version : Specific Tire info needed

backformore
10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I've looked at the existing threads about tires, but I hoped to get some specific information from folks who have first hand experience.

I'd like to know the following for the brand you run.

1) Which lap is fastest for the tires?(i.e. first lap on tires, after one heat cycle, etc.)
2) How many laps/heat cycles are they that fast?
3) How much slower (lap times) is "average" from the fastest?
4) How many heat cycles before they are "too slow" and how much slower (lap times) have they lost?

I am gathering info to make decisions for use on a relatively heavy front drive car. I realize that there are a lot of variables to consider, but your specific experience will still be helpful in making some decisions.

Thanks in advance.
Rory

PS Please tell me what brand/model you are running

SSGTi
10-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Hoosier R6 - Fastest run green first time out. Reduces overall life by as much as 50%. Flatspot easily in spins. I've seen as many as 30 heat cycles within 3/10ths of the initial performance on properly heat cycled / stored R6s, on a softly sprung / big sway bar equipped ITA CRX Si. After GRM's article last month, I want to try the A6. Last two races, my 3rd lap on the R6s was my fastest. I think both were track records. Because they were green tires, I only expect to get 8 - 10 heat cycles out of them.

BFG R1 - As fast as the R6 once up to temp. Much less experience with these. They are a bitch to drive hard the first few laps, so not for me when it comes to sprint racing. Haven't seen degredation in lap times in first 12 heat cycles, but you need to be brave to go fast based on the feel of these tires. I've spun more on these tires than any others based on laps / spin.

R-888 - Hated them at first, but after making some changes, I'm starting to like them more. Like the RA-1, they are 1.5 seconds slower than their best performance when full depth. I've never been as fast on R-888s as I am on R6s, but I'm getting there. I thing the gap may be as low as 0.5s on 205/50/15s. A better comparison would be the 225/45/15 Toyo against the 205 Hoosier. They are very close to the same measured width. First session out these things are nasty, but they start to come in after +/- 10 laps. Very easy tire to drive once the tread is almost gone. I consider them a great choice when they are +/- 1/2 depth and the weather is iffy, or the track is wet without standing water. On my car they wear out before they slow down - +/- 30 heat cycles from full depth

RA-1 - Great value for the money, and still availabe in 205/50/15. Easy to drive, from first lap to the cords showing. Shaved they are a full second or more slower than the R6 in my hands. Again, I should be comparing the 225/45/15 to the 205 r6, but I haven't got that far down the list yet. The 205 is the best rain tire fr the money at full depth, and is a great confidence building tire. You can go fast on the second lap of a race. On my car they wear out before they slow down. +/- 20 heat cycles on shaved tires.