PDA

View Full Version : Engine Life/Use/Performance

backformore
10-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I have just purchased a 2000Civic Si. The engine has 1 race on the rebuild. I am trying yo plan my racing/testing for next year with an eye towards sneaking my way into the runoffs (while spending as little money as possible).

My question is two fold.

1) How many events can this engine be expected to do before it starts to suffer significant performance losses? At that point, what is required? Fresh head? Total rebuild?

2) Do street miles (the car is SSC and street legal) place any significant wear on the engine? In other words, is driving the car to events going to cause a quicker loss of performance?

Thanks for your help

Rory

Bob Roth
11-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Assuming an effective oil pan and a mechanical gauge to make sure you are not starving it, it ought to go 6 to 10 weekends before needing looking at. I would invest in a compression gauge and a leakdown gauge and periodically check things.

The bottom ends on the 1.6 should present no problems, though when you do a bottom end rebuild, install ARP rod bolts for insurance and a oil pump from the www.theoldone.com (http://www.theoldone.com) and you should be good. I have had good results with Mobile 1 10W - 30

A rebuild will most likely be the result of wear either to the rings or due to valves. Either way, using a leakdown gauge and compression gauge will tell you when its time. These are really reliable engines so don't be in a hurry to rebuild it.

bonespec
11-15-2008, 07:52 PM
As Larry (TOO) would say, beat the crap out of it within reason on the street.

LD71
11-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I've run SSC a long time, and many miles in a Civic Si like yours. If it was put together by someone who knows Hondas, you can run it this season and probably the next 2 no problem. Just don't over-rev (miss shifts) and change the oil every 2-3 races and use the best oil you can. run it on the street all you want. Go for the Runoffs, you will enjoy it, and even in SEDiv where there is plenty of good competition, you should qualify if you run enough races.
LD71 [:D]

backformore
11-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I'll check the compression and leakdown and dyno for a baseline and keep track of it.

I'll run it and not worry too much about it.