PDA

View Full Version : Radiators and Cooling

Jim Susko
10-10-2008, 12:37 PM
After finally losing an apex seal in my IT7 Mazda in the first 10 minutes of this season I am looking for a better radiator system. I currenltly have the 81 style over/under water/oil cooler system using the extra row oil cooler.

I am curious as to what others are doing and what is the most effective. Any help out there?

Thanks in advance.:shrug:

dickita15
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
After always being on the edge with new OEM radiators I bought the ISC version aluminum radiator. I am very happy with it only seeing high temps in when tucked right up under someone for multiple laps. ISC converts a standard alum ran into a double cross flow. With their reduction in serving the first gen community I don’t if they are still making them.

movingchicane
10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I also run the ISC aluminum radiator. It does a great job, runs about 10-15 degrees cooler than the OEM radiator I had on my car. I'm pretty sure ISC is still selling them. If they dont have any more I'm sure mike could get one for you, its a custom made radiator by HOWE racing radiators.

It's still listed on their website:
http://www.iscracing.net/1stgenparts.htm

NCRX7RACER
10-11-2008, 08:53 PM
ISC still sells them. I bought one a couple of months ago. He also has a new BIG oil cooler that will help keep engine temps lower. Duct the radiator so NO air can escape around it.

cpa7man
10-12-2008, 02:47 AM
I got one like this.
http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=80127NDP&Category_Code=hp_dbl-pass-rad

Jim Susko
10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks, guys, for all your help! I think I got the picture now. You saved me a lot of trouble.

Jim

bcarter
11-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Jim,

I used the stock framework of the long rad, and had a rad shop build me a rad that was thicker, three row, and we moved the top outlet to the other side, so it became a cross flow. I just ran a hose from the left side to the right intake on the pump at the top. I then moved the oil cooler in front. Worked great until I hit a wall head on at about 80 mph.

Streetwise guy
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Don't be shy Brooke- You made the jumbotron.

bcarter
02-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the JumboTron.....:blink:

Anyway, now I'm looking for a new rad, and don't want to spend $500.00.

Any more thoughts on Aluminum rads guys?

B

ddewhurst
02-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Jim, talk with the other Dave D. If I remember correctly he has a sketch of the radiator Howe made for him. Double flow, gauge holes & evrything as needed.

Ron Earp
02-21-2009, 09:30 AM
When I needed a radiator for the Jensen (RIP) I couldn't call up JensenWorld.

I did find that the best bargain in aluminum radiators was with the Circle track guys. They have high quality ally radiators in all shapes and sizes. Get a roundy roundy catalog like Southwest speed (those guys are not the cheapest, just a good starting place) and so on and then find one that matches your needed dimensions. You will have to make brackets for it but the price is right. I spent around $205 for a new aluminum radiator that was 26" wide, 18" tall, and about 3" thick, good for 600+hp.

lateapex911
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
When I needed a radiator for the Jensen (RIP) I couldn't call up JensenWorld.

Really? Must be because they use Lucas phones!

Ha ha!!!.....I KILL myself!! I'll be here thru Friday, Tip the waiters and waitresses!

Dave Damouth
02-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Jim, talk with the other Dave D. If I remember correctly he has a sketch of the radiator Howe made for him. Double flow, gauge holes & evrything as needed.

I am not "the other Dave D". I am THE Dave D. :D

And yes, I have a drawing of my radiator. I think Jim has it also. Radiator works fine with the EP motor also. The thing would probably keep Jake's avatar cool........

CRallo
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I am not "the other Dave D". I am THE Dave D. :D

And yes, I have a drawing of my radiator. I think Jim has it also. Radiator works fine with the EP motor also. The thing would probably keep Jake's avatar cool........

LOL:happy204:

I dunno Dave, she looks as though she might be feeling a bit of a chill already...

lateapex911
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
When we switched the board over people were having truoble with avatars and saying they didn't work. I tossed that up and the response was "YUP! THEY WORK!"

Everytime I mention I should take it down, I get teh impression it's not a popular idea.....:confused:

Eagle7
02-26-2009, 07:33 AM
When we switched the board over people were having truoble with avatars and saying they didn't work. I tossed that up and the response was "YUP! THEY WORK!"

Everytime I mention I should take it down, I get teh impression it's not a popular idea.....:confused:

It seems like every time my wife looks over my shoulder while I'm on it.com there's a message from Jake on the screen. The reaction is usually "Who's Jake and how do you know her"! :happy204: