PDA

View Full Version : 7:45 am Group 1 cars proceed to grid UNDER TOW ONLY?

shwah
10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Seriously?

I don't know a whole lot of ITB and ITC cars that bring a pit vehicle to tow their car around ala GT1. Considering that IT motors are street legal, muffled engines, are they still considered a race engine, and restricted from being fired before we try to drive on track for on of our two 15min qualifiy sessions (or for our 'unofficial national championship' race?)

Just wanted to get this out there now so that folks can plan accordingly if needed.

tom91ita
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
my itb motor is anything but street legal and muffled. it is about 5 feet of straight pipe.

edit: chris, are you going to have crew there? i am likely going to take my street crx as a "pit" vehicle since it fits in my trailer. maybe we could help tow each other. my car and your crew?

shwah
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Tom, it's up in the air, but I think I will have a decent amount of crew (actually one of them may end up driving in a car that can serve this purpose. Makes more sense than firing up a 1 ton dually diesel to get to grid...

I know that IT motors are loud, but not louder than much of what I hear on the street. Just frustrating to not be able to fire up until it is time to lean on it right then.

Must be one of those ARRC virgin things that I didn't realize this.

R2 Racing
10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Chris, as long as you're not stupid about it, people can and do start their cars and drive them down to grid before 8am. An IT car moving under idling power isn't real loud at all. Just don't be sitting there revving your engine.....or driving an RX-7.

Butch Kummer
10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Hall County ordinance says no race engines between 8 PM and 8 AM, and their definition of "race engine" is any vehicle with a number on the side. I've not seen anyone hauled off to jail for cranking up prior to 8 AM, but it COULD happen!

The "7:45 under tow only" is to encourage those that have them to get an early start heading to Grid. Although the track goes green at 8:00, we generally don't put cars on the track until 8:10 or so. If you don't have a way to tow to Grid, I suggest you suit up & strap in at your paddock spot and be ready to go at 8:00, then crank up and drive to the Grid. Unless we have 60 ITB/ITC cars, you'll get there well before the 5-minute warning.

IPRESS
10-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I shouldn't tell stuff like this, but a couple of ARRCs ago I tried to tow my Miata with my Yamaha pit scooter. After they stopped laughing and cleaned up the coffe that came out their noses from watching me, the guy next to me pulled it to grid for me with his pickup. I was able to overcome the embarassment, but my two daughters crewing (one in the car) may still be scared from the incident!:D
I think they tried to bribe Butch to keep ITA off the early spot.

trhoppe
10-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Just get ready in the paddock spot, and at the strike of 8am, fire her up and drive to grid already strapped in, helmet and gloves on, etc.

-Tom

lateapex911
10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I shouldn't tell stuff like this, but a couple of ARRCs ago I tried to tow my Miata with my Yamaha pit scooter. After they stopped laughing and cleaned up the coffee that came out their noses from watching me,

quoted in case you change your mind and delete the post!

IPRESS
10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Jake, if you can't laugh at your own self, you don't have the right take on life. I keep myself entertained constantly with DA moves!:D
Hell if reality tv had been invented in the 70s I would be famous. Well I have to think about that a little cause there are famoue people and then there are Pee Wee Herman famous people. I guess not being famous is OK! Probably the all time DA move at ARRC was Del Genio roller blading down the hill into T12! That is worse then my scooter pull.:wacko:

lateapex911
10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Watching Greg Amy faceplant on his three wheeled "stable" Gyro moped thingy ranks up there too, LOL.