PDA

View Full Version : 240 engine issues.

quadzjr
09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
I am calling out to the nissan KA24 guys.

I have talked toa few people and from what I gathered from atleast the single came version.. that the valve springs are a problem, oiling is a problem, bearings are a problem.

Since I just recived a ITA 240 motor to rebuild.. I was wondering has anybody every thought about putting an oil restrictor to keep the oil on the bottom end and not letting the majority of it squirt by and shoot to the top. if bearings are an issue.. then woudln't this help.. of course then it would hurt the valve springs by not cooling them as much as they are used to. However valve springs are alot easier and cheaper than hole new short blocks.

I am not considering putting the restirctors into a customers motor without testing it on one of my own first. I was just thinking about it. I have sed them in the past on American V8 motors, and some hondas and yamahas come with them from tbe factory.

The hole in the side of this 240 engine is quite impressive. it made the removal of the driver side motor mount failry easy since there was very little block still connnected to it.

ScottOk
09-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure what your looking for so here goes. I run a KA24e in ITA also and have built several motors and have had only one bearing failure.The stock crank is very stout.The KA bearings are custom fit for each journal. on the front end of the crank on the balance weight are stampings that coincide with stampings on the block located along the oil pan surface. there is a chart in the shop manual that gives the bearing fit size. however some builders have line boared the block and ground the crank 10 under with good success. Be sure to get the NISMO bronze drive gear for the Distributor/oil pump. this is a week spot, loose this, loose the engine. also get the NISMO chain tensioner, both made for high rpm KA's. I have run both and have had no failure since. New stock valve springs are a must. If you replace the cam, replace all the followers, they breakin together.
I hope this is what you were looking for