PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about moving to F Prod???

rabbidmk1
09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
What are your thoughts about a Level 2 prep MK3 GTI in F Prod.

The Spec line gives me a weight of 1995# and 10.5:1 comp. with .450 lift on the cam.

What is making me wonder about making the move is that the CRX Si ( an A car) is spec'd at 1900# 12.0:1 comp and .450 lift

Seems to me like the Si (on paper) is going to be a much faster car...

I just curious to see what my fellow VW Guru's have to say.

racer_tim
09-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Well, the Honda is only a 1.6 and has pretty small valves, 29mm Intake and 25mm Exhaust

The VW is a 2 litre, with 40mm intake and 33mm exhaust. The valve lift is the same, but they gave the honda a couple more compression points.

Yea, there are a ton of rice rockets out there, but not for me. :D

rabbidmk1
09-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Yea, there are a ton of rice rockets out there, but not for me. :D

Not for me either, I just don't want to invest all of the time and money if there is a consensus that the mk3 is at a large deficit before it even makes it to the track.

:eclipsee_steering: Aaron

jlinfert
09-25-2008, 07:28 AM
What are your thoughts about a Level 2 prep MK3 GTI in F Prod.

The Spec line gives me a weight of 1995# and 10.5:1 comp. with .450 lift on the cam.

What is making me wonder about making the move is that the CRX Si ( an A car) is spec'd at 1900# 12.0:1 comp and .450 lift

Seems to me like the Si (on paper) is going to be a much faster car...

I just curious to see what my fellow VW Guru's have to say.

On the plus side: A2 bilstiens fit, TONS of torque, good wheel base and a 4 door actually balances better.It doesn't even need a fuel cell anymore.

On the minus side: Heavy, Not enough compression, heavy, needs a VW motorsports gearset to take advantage of the torque, heavy, limited ECU tuning support, and too darned HEAVY

just my 2 cents

rabbidmk1
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Very good points!

If they would only give me another 2 points of compression I think things would equal out a little bit. :p

quadzjr
09-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Your car doesn't need two extra points of compression. Our base build level 2 motor in our FP civic only gained 15ish hp over the IT motor. We are limited to a intake that has runners as small as a quarter and are nearly 12" long. According to some rough math that I did the intake on that modle year honda is deesigned to feed that engine from 4500 to 6000 ish.. Which is an absolutly worthless power band for a race motor. It also don't allow you to build any gains from having a super large cam. we had a better hp/tq curve with a smaller cam than a larger one.

side note. If you know anybody that can build a .450" lift cam for a D16A6 let me konw.. I will need it if we go Level 1.. thus far I can find a cam grinder that will build one.

There is no replacment for displacemnt. I would say build it.. Even a 9/10ths build would be a top 5 car in national races.. and top 3 in regional.

jlinfert
09-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Unfortunately, the 2.0 ABA golf motor has REALLY long runners.... Like 18-20 inches! but in production you could do a level 2 head.(my boss David Boles would be the man to talk to.)with solid under-follower lifters and still see decent power #s. If you decide to go ahead with the project... 2 things: Make sure the head is German and Call David. I don't know many people who know more about water cooled vdubs.

quadzjr
09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Would you be "allowed" to run a head that was not offered in the states? I would love to run a Japanese head on our car. :rolleyes:

jlinfert
09-26-2008, 04:06 PM
ABA motors sold in the U.S. come with heads made either in Germany or Mexico. The German heads are better as a general rule.

jlinfert
09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
[quote=quadzjr;273966]side note. If you know anybody that can build a .450" lift cam for a D16A6 let me konw.. I will need it if we go Level 1.. thus far I can find a cam grinder that will build one.

Try Elgin cams but PM me for some details.