PDA

View Full Version : Sic

jvarble
09-22-2008, 10:22 AM
What happened, didn't get to go this year, Results????
Thanks

seckerich
09-22-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=359093

Found this on another site.

pballance
09-22-2008, 10:32 AM
+1, Results are on mylaps
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=359093

But that doesn't tell the whole story :)

JeffYoung
09-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Broke transmission on Friday; no spare with me. Done. Ron had fueling issues, done. Kip VS broke his 944 (motor), done, so he rented a Spec Miata and ran it in ITS and finished 5th after starting at the back.

Mike VS won, and is SARRC champion.

Steve Parrish and Jeff McCandless (3rd and 4th) looked good and strong for next year.

Mike Lacombe was fast on the test day but blew up in qualifying.

GBugg
09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm too new to the family to recognize the names, but ITA looked to be a run-away and not very well subscribed. Was that expected?

Butch Kummer
09-22-2008, 12:06 PM
From MyLaps:
. total entries in 2006 = 204
. total entries in 2007 = 194
. total entries in 2008 = 156

2008 is a 20% decrease over the average of the previous two years, which is about what we've been seeing at all our events this year. The SIC has NEVER been a highly subscribed event because:

1. You can't just show up and race (it's invitation only)
2. Drivers with no shot at winning their class championship often elect to stay at home

I'm not sure who was missing from the ITA ranks specifically, but it does seem their numbers were down significantly. I know there were 16 GTA drivers qualified to attend, yet only four (five if you count Tom Graham's two entries) chose to make the trip. From my personal standpoint, I had no chance at defending my SARRC title so I chose to save my money and run the ARRC by GRM in November. Some of the GTA drivers never had any intention of running the SIC, and others (hopefully) are of the same mindset as me and will instead come to Road Atlanta.

All that said, the competition was incredibly fierce during most of the races I watched. There were certainly a few runaways, but in many classes there were multiple lead changes throughout the race. It also seems that some were caught out by the increased length this year (20 laps instead of 15) because it seemed like much of the action (both good and bad) occured during the last five laps.

I don't believe the SIC will ever be a 250+ car event, but then I'm not sure the SARRC Committee wants it to be. It's supposed to be the "Best of the Best" (or "North Meets South") with the championship on the line, and it accomplishes that goal very well. Good racing, excellent weather (dry and cool other than a VERY short shower - didn't even get the grass wet - Sunday afternoon), and the numbers will return when the economy recovers.

RacerBowie
09-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Butch touched on it, but that is something that makes the SIC so cool. It really isn't crowded ever, and the schedule isn't slam packed full like most events.

Every group gets their two longish qualifying sessions Saturday, and every group gets their 20 lap race on Sunday, and both days are over by 4 or so and everyone goes home.

That said, there were some classes that were weaker in turnout this year than most, which I also blame on the economy.

Knestis
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
In ITB, Marlowe and Keane (Deuce) ran away with it. Moore was docked for PUY on Lap 1, I ended up 3rd so got beat in the SARRC points. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't do a better job upholding Conover Motor Sports' honor but a HUGE thanks to Bowie for his coaching, and to Cameron for yet another totally reliable weekend.

K

Marlboro Mafia
09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Spec Miata just gets crazier each year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYfr8DAF_s

Xian
09-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Honestly that looks more "tame" from the driver's seat than it did as I watched it unfold from the top of the Conover Motor Sports trailer. Great job on (narrowly) avoiding the spinning OPM car!