PDA

View Full Version : NARRC Run Offs

JLawton
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Guess I'll get this one started...........

What's up with putting ITR in with ITA?? I could see if this was Pocono or WGI......... But this will make the ITA race interesting........More so than it already was going to be!!

Predictions on rain?? 50% chance?

dominojd
09-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Predictions on rain?? 50% chance?

If it rains your all done. :D

moto62
09-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Rain my arse. Y'all just trying to scare me into not coming.

JLawton
09-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I see Richie is bringing the "A" car out of retirement..... Of course, knowing him he got confused with all his cars and signed up for the wrong clas!! :p

Ray, if you're not going into the NARRC Offs EXPECTING it to rain, you're livin' in a fantasy world!! :lol:

You're right Joe, rain would throw a new wrinkle into the whole thing!!

Tkczecheredflag
09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
It'll will be nice to get back to the track where my racing madness all started.

I'm planning to go up on Tuesday - use up some old rubber and reacquaint myself with an "old friend in a new dress."

It looks like the field is shaping up nicely - Rain or shine, "don't make no never mind to me," looking forward to a great weeekend.

I drove into the back of an ITR Supra at WGI on Sunday - why block at the start if your faster - Oh well.

See ya all soon.

Andy Bettencourt
09-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Great field. Hunter's car has been away getting some tasty upgrades...if he can hit the set-up he should be the odd-on favorite, but boy - there are 8-10 cars that can win!

Lots of laps....

moto62
09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Ray, if you're not going into the NARRC Offs EXPECTING it to rain, you're livin' in a fantasy world!! :lol:

Will be there rain or shine. Check is in the mail. Should be loads of fun. Looks like an excellent group of entrants for 'A'. Manuel and myself coming out of the woodwork and there are quite a few names registered that I don't recognize. I guess i've been away too long. Can't wait to beat up on you folks.....errr, get beat upon by you folks:happy204:.

JLawton
09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
[quote=Andy Bettencourt;273491] he should be the odd-on favorite but boy
quote]

Why would call Richie a Butt Boy??? :017:

Ed Funk
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
[quote=Andy Bettencourt;273491] he should be the odd-on favorite but boy
quote]

Why would call Richie a Butt Boy??? :017:

I don't want to know!!! La, la, la, I can't hear you!

lateapex911
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
man, Richie's WIFE is gonna be pissed!

And pity the fool who calls Richie a but boy! hee hee.........

Andy Bettencourt
09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Corrected the PUNK-chew-a-shun for you nerds!

raffaelli
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
got me some new rain rubber.

Looking for 100% rain.:happy204:

Andy Bettencourt
09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone who has worked the stater-stand at LRP know if there is room for a tripod and video camera? Ben says he has a few cameras...I will voluteer to get some vid from the starters stand if they let me if we can get a couple others to video the two IT groups for fun!

Greg Amy
09-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Anyone who has worked the stater-stand at LRP know if there is room for a tripod and video camera?
It's pretty tight, even just for the 2-3 people working there. But, with cooperation and recognition there's "a third person" there to avoid, it's do-able.

Find out who's Chief Starter for the weekend and coordinate... - GA

Andy Bettencourt
09-17-2008, 09:40 PM
It's pretty tight, even just for the 2-3 people working there. But, with cooperation and recognition there's "a third person" there to avoid, it's do-able.

Find out who's Chief Starter for the weekend and coordinate... - GA

Cool. Maybe someone can take the 2-3 vids we put together and 'produce' a race? Could be COOL!!!!

Magical Trevor
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
There are power outlets up there too. An interesting place for video is the "Crow's Nest"-the platform on the top level of the tower behind where Greg Rickes announces. It's open, and a great place to watch Big Bend through the right hander (you're above all the haulers). If you are on the side closest to pit out you can just manage to see the start/finish line-on the opposite side of the platform the downhill and most of the main straight are visible. The only issue is the announcers' booths directly in front of you looking towards the straight...

7racing
09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Manuel and myself coming out of the woodwork

Ha...that sounds like almost a good enough reason to go check it out. Too bad my kid has my social calendar booked already. Kick some butt, guys!

Jeremy

lateapex911
09-18-2008, 03:08 PM
.....Manuel and myself coming out of the woodwork .....

As long as that woodwork isn't in a closet...........

;)

Ed Funk
09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Here we go again! What's up with the gay bashing?:)

lateapex911
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Just can't leave such a straight line alone. No gay bashing intended. Listen, I could make Miata jokes, but I know better...!

benspeed
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm all over producing a race video. I use Windows Movie Maker but it's pretty limited - although free is a good price.

I'll bring a laptop and three cameras.

gran racing
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I thought you were making Miata jokes, no? :D

I'd be happy to supply some ITB / ITS in-car footage assuming I don't do something stupid before the race starts.

Greg Amy
09-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I'd be happy to supply some ITB / ITS in-car footage especially if I do something stupid before the race starts.
Fixed. ;)

Jerome McElroy
09-18-2008, 09:02 PM
The Chief Starter for the NARRC RunOffs should be Pete Watson, reasonably approachable...but what you'll want to do is square it away with the Chief Steward to be up there. Usually more than enough room on the stand.
Make sure to have a second camera at Big Bend...especially if it's wet.

I'm just sayin...:D

rhygin
09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Might be there... handling got pretty scary for me at NHMS and made a "blind" corner weight adjustment so I am not real sure that I want to literally be "sailing" through Lime Rock corners not sure what is going on...

If I can get the time to get her righted... or closer to righted... I have a solid state digital recorder that I usually use in the car. Much better in strong light. LMK if you want some video or soemthing...

Any angle to show how some of the corners take a some courage and commitment? Favorite spot ever to watch the old IMSA (say... 1975 -1988) was on the bridge before the down hill look back at west bend.

Promise me no music overlay during the racin...

Promise me no "pinks" BS music overlay double-dog-dare

rhygin
09-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry... that was not clear...

I will be there even if I am not racing and the video stuff will be with me. anyone is open to use it in-car or static if I am not racing.
Brad

moto62
09-18-2008, 11:09 PM
got me some new rain rubber.

Looking for 100% rain.:happy204:

Poo poo on you man!:D

dominojd
09-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Poo poo on you man!:D

Wow weather looks great for next weekend. :D

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/06039?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_golf

Ed Funk
09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Just can't leave such a straight line alone. No gay bashing intended. Listen, I could make Miata jokes, but I know better...!

Isn't that the same thing?!?

raffaelli
09-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I am trying to give my posse a projected time for run group 4 on Saturday. Anyone wanna take a guess at an hour for me?:shrug:

If I don’t give them a target they will arrive on our cool down lap.:(

raffaelli
09-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Wow weather looks great for next weekend. :D

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/06039?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_golf

Nice! Rain both days!:happy204:

JLawton
09-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I am trying to give my posse a projected time for run group 4 on Saturday. Anyone wanna take a guess at an hour for me?:shrug:

Some time between 9:00 and 4:00................ :D

I would guess around 11:00-11:15????

Tell 'em 10:00

Magical Trevor
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

http://limerock.com/files/pdf/NARRC_Schedule.pdf
http://www.nescca.com/registration/Supps/08-R-337-S.pdf

Right around lunch time... maybe about 1 o'clock?

Andy Bettencourt
09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
ITR: 5
ITS: 15
ITA: 28
ITB: 15
ITC: 0
IT7: 4

2 oversubscribed groups...gonna be some shuffling.

Rain on race day.

Tkczecheredflag
09-22-2008, 09:05 AM
http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:iNkjpeCt-6qxeM:www.framehousegallery.com/RainDAnceBigJPEG.jpg

CPM Motorsports for many weeks now, have been waiting until the moon rises above the trees, and using the tom tom drums, bones of the water lizard, and the rain dance steps seen above, referred to as the "Cactus Mountain Rain Dance," have been dancing our asses off. Is the rain dance working? - You be the judge.

Oddly many of the kids in "the Hood" have taken to the rain dance and several "rappers" have put their own words to it and replaced the tom toms with the "bass thud.". Susequently, Ike appeared off the coast of Africa. The dance has gotten out of control.

rhygin
09-22-2008, 09:07 AM
accuweather says dry...

StephF
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
It's Lime Rock. The rest of the state can be dry and there can be a storm cloud dumping down on the track.
Usually for everyone else's session. :mad: Always happens if you like the rain.
Oh well, if all goes well and we manage to get everything buttoned up/finished and teched in time, I'm all for dry track for Ed's sessions. There's enough other variables to wory about as it is.

JLawton
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:iNkjpeCt-6qxeM:www.framehousegallery.com/RainDAnceBigJPEG.jpg

CPM Motorsports for many weeks now, have been waiting until the moon rises above the trees, and using the tom tom drums, bones of the water lizard, and the rain dance steps seen above, referred to as the "Cactus Mountain Rain Dance," have been dancing our asses off. Is the rain dance working? - You be the judge.

Oddly many of the kids in "the Hood" have taken to the rain dance and several "rappers" have put their own words to it and replaced the tom toms with the "bass thud.". Susequently, Ike appeared off the coast of Africa. The dance has gotten out of control.

You, Joe and I are all doing the rain dance!!

Either way, it's gonna be a rip roaring race. I don't remember ever running in a race where so many cars had a chance of winning.

Of course, Andy and Marc may check out and leave the rest of us fighting for scraps. :shrug:

Andy Bettencourt
09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
You, Joe and I are all doing the rain dance!!

Either way, it's gonna be a rip roaring race. I don't remember ever running in a race where so many cars had a chance of winning.

Of course, Andy and Marc may check out and leave the rest of us fighting for scraps. :shrug:

I bet Hunter checks out - until he loops it! :)

rhygin
09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
So, 67 cars in a run group. Given where i will likely qualify, I might be coming out of West Bend when the green drops.

Seriously... will these groupings evolve to spread out the cars?

JLawton
09-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Brad, Brad, Brad..... Have you even looked at the sups?? Not good for a rookie!! :D

Andy was just showing the IT numbers. There are two different run groups for the IT cars.

And yes, the track will be very very busy. And in a 30-35 minute race, with laps in the 1:00-1:01 range, it will be dicey.

dominojd
09-23-2008, 03:56 AM

It just may be working Timmah. Dance harder. :D

Andy Bettencourt
09-23-2008, 07:00 AM
It just may be working Timmah. Dance harder. :D

Oh, its gonna be wet, real wet.

But as a guy who just has to finish the race to be the champ, gettin stuck in the mud at LRP would be the WORST thing for you!!!! :smilie_pokal:

lateapex911
09-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, I just got an email from Susan about the new groups. IT-7 has been moved OUT of group 4, and now races with SM in group 7. you can imagine how thrilled I am about that.

And FP, HP and some other Ps have been moved in. ITR got the boot as well.

Here's the new groups:

Drivers,
Please be advised that the race groups have changed based on current entries.

Group 1 = GT-L, SSM, DPP, GP

Group 2 = SRF, SPU, LEGENDS

Group 3 = FA,FB,CFC, FE, FF, FM, FS,S2000, CSR, DSR

Group 4 = ITA, SSB, SSC,T3,FP, HP

Group 5 = NCF, FV, F500, FST

Group 6 = GT1,2,3, AS,T1,T2,SPO,ITE,BP,ST,EP

Group 7 = SM, ITC, IT7

Group 8 = ITS, ITB, ITR

dominojd
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
How's about since there are 28 ITA cars registered on line we get our own group + IT7? You guys belong there anyway. :D

lateapex911
09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I actually looked at the latest listing, and most groups are either exactly 38 or within 1 or 2. I wrote back to Susan suggesting that, since this is a big race fro Regional only classes, that the IT-7 group be put back into group 4, and the FP cars go to SM. They're national, and have more options for championships, and they have a much wider spread between them laptime-wise. Both groups are at 38, and there are equal IT7 and FP drivers.

I imagine the FP guys won't like that idea, LOL. And i imagine it will be seen as whining about SMs, and fall on deaf ears, but who knows, it couldn't hurt to send an email.

She wrote back saying that she forwarded my letter to Dave Perlman.

JLawton
09-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Wahoo, not ITR cars in group 4!! (nothing against the ITR cars but it would not have been pretty)

rhygin
09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Jeff... ITR no matter...

What would not be pretty is a situation where hood pins are sadly not asked to do the simple job that they enjoy...

Imagine and strong Saturn driver callled... say, "Jeff"... qualifying well, and looking forward to racing hard at the the front of the field.... in the rain.... with "some" visibility and WHAAAAM.... he cannot see jack. And he is at the leading or near leading edge of a freight train of people who cannot see jack. :)

Sox are in... dry will happen. simple math.

JLawton
09-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Jeff... ITR no matter...

What would not be pretty is a situation where hood pins are sadly not asked to do the simple job that they enjoy...

Imagine and strong Saturn driver callled... say, "Jeff"... qualifying well, and looking forward to racing hard at the the front of the field.... in the rain.... with "some" visibility and WHAAAAM.... he cannot see jack. And he is at the leading or near leading edge of a freight train of people who cannot see jack. :)

Sox are in... dry will happen. simple math.

But I bet this "Jeff" is almost as smart as a monky and installed the stock hood latch so it won't happen again!!
(come on, you need something new to bust on me about!! :p)

dickita15
09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
(come on, you need something new to bust on me about!! :p)
well give us some more material:026:

lateapex911
09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Joe? Where's Joe? HE has TONS of Lawton material!

JLawton
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Speaking of material... Jake, what happened to you yesterday???

lateapex911
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, Matt called in the Am, and needed me to help make my header. I had not been counting on that, and the day putting the trailer back together went out the window. or in other words, daylight was burned.

(The fact that my one, and only phone started acting up over the weekend, then was 95% inoperable by monday didn't help)

So, while you guys were gallivanting around the track, I was giving 200 bucks to Apple. The damn thing better last more than a year and a half!

dazzlesa
09-24-2008, 03:40 PM
how about a 102.9 by a ITB car during the test day. it was done by a big car!

Andy Bettencourt
09-24-2008, 04:20 PM
how about a 102.9 by a ITB car during the test day. it was done by a big car!

Wait, so you are saying that an ITB car ran as fast as some of the best prepped and best driven ITA cars in the Northeast? Lemme see...how does the math work on that...hmmm....:rolleyes:

Duh - driver! Congrats to Eric. Love the Volvo's, especially Phil's.

:smilie_pokal:

dominojd
09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Wait, so you are saying that an ITB car ran as fast as some of the best prepped and best driven ITA cars in the Northeast? Lemme see...how does the math work on that...hmmm....:rolleyes:

Must be cheatin :shrug: ;)

Magical Trevor
09-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Hope the weather won't deter any fans-WCCC (http://www.wccc.com) (great radio station for modern rock in Hartford) is giving away tickets for Saturday; would be nice to see even more than the boy scouts in town!

JLawton
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Must be cheatin :shrug: ;)

No. But as Rick said, "that's why he gets paid to race". Even his Dad was shaking his head. I just wish I could have watched some of it!

gran racing
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Right after that session I spoke with Eric and told him that I need to get him in my Prelude to show me just how high panties can go.

moto62
09-24-2008, 10:02 PM
RAIN TIRES! Y'all gonna need paddles:blink:. Sorry to say but we're gonna sit this one out too. Too much dough for a rain race that means absolutely nothing for us. It's Timmah's fault because of his wacky rain dance. The rain Gods were laughing so hard they started to cry. The tears will get to us tomorrow evening. Looks like we're going to start getting ready for NJ in Oct. For everyone going to LRP, Kik azz and have fun. Be safe.

Tkczecheredflag
09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
RAIN TIRES! Y'all gonna need paddles:blink:. Sorry to say but we're gonna sit this one out too. Too much dough for a rain race that means absolutely nothing for us. It's Timmah's fault because of his wacky rain dance. The rain Gods were laughing so hard they started to cry. The tears will get to us tomorrow evening. Looks like we're going to start getting ready for NJ in Oct. For everyone going to LRP, Kik azz and have fun. Be safe.

Ray - As it turns out it was all a dream that was stimulated by a handful of peyote buttons - CPM actually never did the rain dance, nor have the rapper's taken over the tribal language and replaced it with the bass thud - just a long strange trip.:blink:

FYI - Hoosier came out with a new "mud bog" race tread - we were able to secure a set - sort of makes the car look like an alien craft. Here's a picture.

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:7lZ4-eJj8leHmM:www.ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/assets/Products/Cross/Tires/Pro~SpeedMax~Cross/Tire-700-x-32-Speedmax-Large1.jpg

Rumor has it there is no "wet line" anymore at LRP because of the new asphalt - Who says you have drive on the asphalt - I see no referrence in the supps.:) Let's do it in the mud.

dominojd
09-25-2008, 03:26 AM

Just because it rains doesn't mean you can't just show up and hang. :(

RSTPerformance
09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
whith all the rain, the long FWD wheelbase (Audi), and being comfortable with a new wet Lime Rock (pro it qualifying) I wish I was going... Unfortunatly I am working both Friday and Saturday and won't even be down to watch :(.

Have fun, be safe and most important keep those at home updated!!!

Raymond

Ed Funk
09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Won't make it, cage won't be finished, damnit!

Have fun!

benspeed
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Only way I'm coming out is if somebody has a set of mounted rain tires to loan me for the ITS RX7. Might come to spectate and video the mud battles - should be some excellent entertainment value!

C'mon, who's got a set of dirt stockers for me? I only have one set of wheels.

robits325is
09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
I have an extra set of 15s

raffaelli
09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Well, I have withdrawn.:(

Several things got in the way this week and forced to me withdraw...one of them being the T Bone of my tow vehicle.:mad:

I will be in T&S all weekend...keeping dry.

JLawton
09-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I have withdrawn.:(

Several things got in the way this week and forced to me withdraw...one of them being the T Bone of my tow vehicle.:mad:

I will be in T&S all weekend...keeping dry.

That sucks Chris. No way to borrow a truck?

Anyone loan Chris a truck?? (You ain't getten' out of this that easy!!)

Stop by either way.

Ed,
That sucks too. I was looking forward to seeing how that bad boy runs.

lateapex911
09-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Ouch, Chris, you can borrow my green truck. It's a 2001 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 engine. Not currently clean though. You'll need to supply a 2" reciever/ball and pin though. Just slide it out of your truck. Email me (see below) if you want to make arrangements, and I'll shoot you my phone number. I'll be up late and up early, so email anytime... It's in Southport, CT right now. You can pick it up anytime, I'll just leave the keys available.

Open trailer/CRX right?

gran racing
09-26-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm now at my dry (in many ways) job wishing I was playing in the rain. :(

RSTPerformance
09-26-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm now at my dry (in many ways) job wishing I was playing in the rain. :(

ditto.... we might as well engage ourselves in busy talk while we wait for some updates... hows life Dave, doing any more races this year??? I plan to go to NJMP if all goes well and I get off my duff and fix my car.

Raymond

gran racing
09-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Funny how my co-workers are telling me "well, it's raining so you're lucky you're not there." No! Rain racing is good. I learned this week that holding an 8 mo old and trying to work on the car at the same time doesn't work so well. I've moved onto next year's racing already.

RSTPerformance
09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
LOL, without kids I find it hard enough to find time to work on my race car...

I do have a puppy and that is a HUGE distraction, so I can only imagine what sorts of distractions a child will bring me...

Raymond "Still Raining" Blethen

CRallo
09-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Funny how my co-workers are telling me "well, it's raining so you're lucky you're not there." No! Rain racing is good. I learned this week that holding an 8 mo old and trying to work on the car at the same time doesn't work so well. I've moved onto next year's racing already.

Hey Dave, I'll work on your car for you if I can run it in DP or would it be BP(sorry rook over here) :D

guess I'm in the same boat with you guys... no pun intended haha

story of my season :( ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! yea... I've pretty much moved onto next year as well. couple deals i coulda scraped together but want to save the money for whatever I put together over the winter...

LRP in the rain used to be heaven... the new pavement has most likely taken the fun outta it :( I ran a skippy race there in October last year and got to qualify in the rain... got gyped on the race though.

7racing
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
..... so I can only imagine what sorts of distractions a child will bring me...

You have NO IDEA! :shrug: :D

I'll let you borrow my 7 year old next time you are at the garage working on the car. You know, just you and him. Keep him entertained without the costant "dad....dad....dad...dad....watch this....ow!.....dad.....dad....*crash noise*.....*quiet...where did he go?....." etc.

You get a good 15 minutes of work on the car in about a 2 hour window in the garage.

RSTPerformance
09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
You have NO IDEA! :shrug: :D

I'll let you borrow my 7 year old next time you are at the garage working on the car. You know, just you and him. Keep him entertained without the costant "dad....dad....dad...dad....watch this....ow!.....dad.....dad....*crash noise*.....*quiet...where did he go?....." etc.

You get a good 15 minutes of work on the car in about a 2 hour window in the garage.

I agree I have no idea... The "where did he go" comment reminds me, last year I worked on the car with my brothers puppy horse (Great Dane) and noticed he was sitting in the yard like a "good" dog and I thought, hummm thats weird... I went over and found him licking up after eating an entire package of CV joint grease :eek: Not sure if I am allowed to have kids now or not :)

Its 10:30 where are the darn updates from Lime Rock!!!

Raymond

benspeed
09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I have an extra set of 15s

Thanks Rob - last night I officially decided to wimp out. Just didn't look like the weekend would be worth it - I hate rain racing.

dazzlesa
09-26-2008, 08:16 PM
partial update on qualifying
in ITA marc c, joe, shane, tim, jef i think. very tight field
i think jeff h in S
rick, nat in daves vw, paul c, and ken h in ITB, i might have the 2nd -4th mixed up.
the rain has been on and off and it sucks, but the track has plenty of grip. the races look they will be good ones

Tkczecheredflag
09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Here are the numbers for ITA
Marc C 1:10.02
Joe D 1:10.04
Chris Milton- Hall 1:10.43
Tim K 1:10.46
Jeff L 1:11.00
Shane H 1:11.02

Marc C was on the edge - I wasn't sure if he was riding a bike or racing a car - He was peddlin' that Miata hard, but he kept it moving forward - Nice one Marc.

Should be an exciting race.

dominojd
09-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Here are the numbers for ITA
Marc C 1:10.02
Joe D 1:10.04
Chris Milton- Hall 1:10.43
Tim K 1:10.46
Jeff L 1:11.00
Shane H 1:11.02

Marc C was on the edge - I wasn't sure if he was riding a bike or racing a car - He was peddlin' that Miata hard, but he kept it moving forward - Nice one Marc.

Should be an exciting race.

Damn Miata's, 2 one hundreds of a second. Jeesh :D

CRallo
09-26-2008, 11:36 PM
shoulda asked this earlier...

if someone has a free minute, could they please put me on their crew list and let me know they did so???

thanks!!!

Chris Rallo

73itb
09-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Give me a call on my cell 860-307-2353. I'll see if I can change a name on my list. Matt Bannerman #73 ITB

raffaelli
09-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Ouch, Chris, you can borrow my green truck. It's a 2001 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 engine. Not currently clean though. You'll need to supply a 2" reciever/ball and pin though. Just slide it out of your truck. Email me (see below) if you want to make arrangements, and I'll shoot you my phone number. I'll be up late and up early, so email anytime... It's in Southport, CT right now. You can pick it up anytime, I'll just leave the keys available.

Open trailer/CRX right?

Thanks for the offer Jake!

raffaelli
09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Ummmmm, interesting run group 4 today.....errr was that a Miata? Hunter ok?

http://www.roadraceautox.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

jimalley
09-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Somebody take pitty on those of us who wimped out, and post the results and story of the race!

Tkczecheredflag
09-27-2008, 09:15 PM
ITA Results

Shane H 102.0
Joe D 102.9
Marc C 103.0
Tim K 102.9
Craig M 104.3

First let me say congrats to Joe Diminno our new ITA NARRC Champion - Nice one Joe.

Next Congrats to Shane Hawthorne (my esteemed garage mate and friend) - Drove an incredibly quick and talented race today. I was with him at practice on Tuesday, he cracked a 101 - I knew he was the one to watch - fast car, great driver, home track - nice one Shane.

Track was dry at the start, although big heavy clouds moved in while in false grid. We had a fair amount of light rain to drizzle during the race - made things a little slippery but the track did dry out again. We were all on dry tires and setup.

I heard Andy B had a small off, cracked his splitter and started to overheat (not sure I have my facts straight). Jeff L had a minor off in lap one (might of been reacting to my off too), limped around and finished but the car was not quite right after making contact with the tire wall in driver left. I went to the beach on lap one in the left hander - got a decent start to grab P-2 (for about 3 seconds) - Joe D was protecting the inside line - I used the traditional line thinking Joe might wash out after apex, I came in too hot and deep, lit up the tires on the lefty, almost got stuck in the swamp but managed to exit station 5 around P-17. Then all hell broke loose arounf L-15. Apparently Richie H got two or four off drivers left, in West Bend, spun and ended up on drivers right at the bridge, Justin Curry was coming through, picked his line and T-boned Richie - There might have been annother Miata in there too - not sure - guys please confirm what I heard. Richie's car is trashed, the passenger door was completely removed for the car on impact, floor pan bent, the X door bar was exploded and hit Richie's arm - both cars a shot. Not a great weekend for Richie.

I'll let the other classes chime in - A great NARRC season again - the regions should be proud of putting on a good show.

Andy Bettencourt
09-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Congrats to Shane on the win and Joe on the Championship. Still have the mud on my helmet from Lawton's off...can't wait to see that video...oye!

After the restart, the tires came back in and we were running Shane down. Some kind of fluid got me loose in WB and then the DH and I put 2 off. Stayed straight but blew the splitter off and it took the factory undertray with it. A piece of that got plugged in front of my radiator and temps started to rise. Brought her in at 220+. Couldn't get the temps down even by short shifting. Fast lap is a small consolation... not!

JLawton
09-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Congratulations to Joe for his ITA Championship. No doubt the boy drove the wheels off the car (literally and figuratively). He certainly didn't have a fast car (except in a straight line) but he is a racer and always came through when it counted. Of course, now he thinks he's the next tGA. :rolleyes:

Also, props to Shane Hawthorn. He was on FIRE yesterday. He drove the sh*t out of that little CRX. I enjoyed watching him from my position on the other side of the armco.

And how about Chris Milton-Hall?? Qualifying third in the rain!! Very impressive.

Mark Cefelo, in a rear wheel drive car, on Toyos, gets the pole in the rain. Very impressive driving.

Glad Richie was OK after his huge hit. As Greg said, he was 180 degrees from dieing. Some of the scariest damage I've seen on a car. Both drivers walking away from that wreck goes to show that our safety equipment does work. Anyone have video?

The ITB/ITS race was also a good one. Nat Wentworth in a borrow car for the ITB win. Rick B gets collected by a bunch of spinning ITS cars from his pole position on the first lap, gets knocked back to DFL or close to it and charges back to a fourth place finish.

"Good Guy" award of the weekend: Dave Zaslow lets Nat borrow his car so Nat can finish his run for the NARRC Championship. Sorry Dave, I don't mean to ruin your reputation, but that was a class move!! :happy204:

Also, great job to Don Dumon in the Kessler Engineering prepared SM winning his race easily (or at least it looked easy watching!!)

dominojd
09-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Congratulations to Joe for his ITA Championship. No doubt the boy drove the wheels off the car (literally and figuratively). He certainly didn't have a fast car (except in a straight line) but he is a racer and always came through when it counted. Of course, now he thinks he's the next tGA. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the props. It was a great season.

Props to Shane for the dominant performance. I wasn't catching you if I had another 50 hp. :smilie_pokal:

And Jeff I do not think i am even close to thinking I am the next tGA. I know I am better. ;) Yeah I know 1 week and 6 days to go.

philstireservice
09-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Big Congrats to Joe D, on Hankooks from PhilsTireService (shameless plug)......He never gives up.:smilie_pokal:

Glad all the other ITAer's made it out safely !!

I have known for a long time that Dave Zaslow is a classy guy !!! Congratulations to Nat !!!

RSTPerformance
09-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Nat-

he big question... what is faster, more fun, and easier to drive; The car with years of domination - a Volvo's from the 70's or the new underweight VW's of the 90's????

Congrats to all the winners and I am glad Richie and all involved were ok.

Raymond

moto62
09-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I just got off the phone with Richie H. He is ok. Just a massive headache and some soreness. He said he was knocked out for a few seconds and actually considered continuing with the race after he came to. The car was still driveable:o Wayyy to go Joe:smilie_pokal:. Congrats on the NARRC and congrats to all the class winners. Now let's get some videos going so I can see what I missed.

JaxonMotorsports44
09-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Congratulations to all the participants and winners of the races yesterday. It was fun for me to be gridded right behind AB... My new motor for my HP car is very fast, and I was looking forward to seeing how well I could keep up with Andy as the race progressed.

I got a front row seat for Jeff L's off-on-off-on-off-on again in the left hander... that was wild... Having an open top car is a problem when huge puddles of water are hitting you in the face... Holy water Batman. Nice job collecting it several times and not getting hit by anything or anyone. I would love to see in-car of that. Unfortunately my water temp was showing 240+ so I brought it in during the full course caution. Luckily it turns out the sending unit lead melted to the header and was giving false readings. Phew...

Nice work Shane!!!! We met at Tech on Thursday evening and it was good to see that the hard work from Tuesday to Thursday paid off.

RSTPerformance
09-28-2008, 12:40 PM
After reading the other thread about the cage it got me to thinking.... How/why did richie get hit (t-boned) in the door??? From what was said ,he was off line, stopped and it was a direct hit in the door... Did the driver even attempt to go around the car?

More importantly can we learn from this??? If any of us are given no choice but to "t-bone" a car, where do we aim??? This certainly shows us to do everything possible to avoid a direct hit on the drivers door...

Raymond "something doesn't seem right about this..." Blethen

lateapex911
09-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, the hit on Richie certainly seems avoidable from his description of his location, and from the responding flaggers comments as well.

perhaps the driver came around West Bend, and jumped off the throttle, started to spin and just locked them up and "Boom", that's all she wrote.

According to the flagger i spoke with, the car was all locked down before the contact.

It seems that just driving normally would have been better. :shrug:

benspeed
09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey guys - how about an ITS update? It was eating at me all weekend that I didn't go.

Cheers

NATW
09-28-2008, 05:24 PM
First of all I want to thanks Dave Zaslow for letting me use his car, as said earlier a very classy gesture. I blew the motor in my Volvo on the 2nd lap of qualifying in the morning session. Dave got to the track in the early afternoon found out about my situation (I was in 2nd place in the NARRC championship ,50 points behind Ken Hubbard and was going to be watching the race) and offered me his car. I can't thank him enough. I manged to qualify 3rd behind Rick Benazic and Richard Gleason. I didn't get the greatest start but I was lucky that I was gridded in an even position which left me on the inside of the lefthander on the 1st lap (if you study the results 1st, 2nd and 3rd were all in even grid spots and benefitted from it, my condolences to Rick who was otherwise in a great position to win the race, and the other guys who had the same bad luck) , at that point an ITR BMW spun and stopped broadside in front of everyone on the outside of that turn. I checked up a little and Ken Hubbard got by me on the inside, I was close behind going up the hill and into west bend, but he made a slight mistake and went wide at the down hill and I was able to drive by. The rest of the race was pretty routine until I got caught up behind some cars I was lapping, suddenly Ken was on my bumper and we went though the left hander 3 wide with me coming out ahead. I was able to put some good distance on him at that point because he got caught up in traffic too.

Raymond, to answer your question Dave's car was AWESOME!!, it was very easy to drive, it was on rails the whole race and I didn't have the slightest slip or wiggle until the last couple of laps when it got pretty wet, and then only minor crabbing of the front wheels in big bend, I don't think I would have won in my own car. Its going to be hard to get back in my tank after this ride,

Dave, thanks again and again, I'm going to owe you forever.

Nat Wentworth
2008 NARRC ITB Champion

lateapex911
09-28-2008, 05:33 PM
You know, Nat, that says buckets about your skills as a driver, in that you:
- Had the confidence to race another guys car in the "NARCC Crash-offs" as they have been called occasionally, and-
- WON the darn thing in a car that has to be way different than your normal car. Heck, they are what, 20 years apart, and RWD vs FWD!?

And as you pointed out, wow, Dave sacrificed his own race to loan you the car. That's huge. Nice job Dave.

Congrats!

lateapex911
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I think I want to also give the NY Region some props for the quality of the goodies. I was thrilled to be able to FINALLY take a checkered flag lap at Lime Rock -my first ever there- and when i came back to the pits and stopped to give it back for the exchange to the dinky "keeper" flag, they waved my by. Wow, nice flag! Then I went to get the trophy...nice surprise there as well. Not any old plaque deal, this was a nice curved glass piece, similar to the one got at the IT -Fest. Then they handed me a huge bottle of champagne! I would have been happy with a beer!

Nice job, NY Region!

dazzlesa
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
first off congrats to Nat. he raced hard all year. Ken and i gave all we had to catch him. i also agree that daves moves was class all the way.
for my weekenend , i think it was a race for me to loose. on tuesday the car was flying. then the provisional ITB pole in the rain and the pole in the dry. 7th out of 30 with the closet B car in 12th. the race started with a good mist. we get to the left hander and a car in front of me taps the ITR bmw spinning him right in front of me. i slid into him and get hit from behind. it takes a moment to get going again but the field is gone. from that point on it felt like a circus show. cars all over the place. i had no idea what positon i was in as i passed car after car. i drove my ass of trying to catch up. near then end of the race i had a great battle with charles for 3rd. charles had titanium balls going through the down hill. i am bumbed out that my chance ended so quickly but i am glad to leave with my car having only a bloody nose. nothing a big hammer and some tugging wont fix.
glad to hear that Richie is ok. Marc did some amazing drifting while qualifying exiting bigbend. congrats to joe on the ITA naarc win. shane kicked some but. thanks also to Matt kessler for getting the car to rock.

kjh6576
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Congratulations Nat !!
Nice way to end a great season of racing. Dave Z without question, deserves the White Knight of the Year award.
I must say that was the hardest/craziest race I had ever run. While Nat was Cruzin in his luxury VW, I was 11/10ths, makin a whole bunch lappers mad trying to catch back up to Nat. After passing lapped cars 3 wide in the grass on NoName :), the left hander should have been no problem. LOL At least both our cars are white. oopps<Sorry Dave>
Glad to hear Ritch is OK.
If you had asked me in the begining of the season, if I thought ,I'd have a chance competing for a championship. I would have said you were a crazy person. I feel priviledged and honored to have participated in all these events with all of you guys and girls. This was a great season with a whole bunch of first class racers and first class people !!
Nat, are you going to re-fit the tank for NJ ?
Ken

moto62
09-28-2008, 11:48 PM
..... I was thrilled to be able to FINALLY take a checkered flag lap at Lime Rock -my first ever

Wow! Nice job man. Congrats on the win.:happy204:Who else was there doing the IT-7 thing? Need results man!

Went up to see Hunter at his home this evening and he is doing fine. Still has a headache and will probably go see a Doc tomorrow just to make sure all is well. He showed us his car and man, that must have been a helluva hit. The X bars on the pass side opened up in the center like a gate on hinges and the passenger door ended up being the center console. Sheesh! He was wearing a HANS device, thank goodness for that. Now what aboot the dude that hit Richie eh? How is he doing? Any videos yet?

Dave Zaslow
09-29-2008, 07:18 AM
First and foremost I want to say that Nat, Ken, Charley, and Rick (individually and collectively) drove an absolutely friggen fantastic race. I was lucky enough to have Scott Carllson and Michael Reece standing next to me in the tower to keep picking me off the floor while watching the action. I was ready to ask them to carry me to medical when they went three wide in the lefthander. Ken, if you want the rubber from your sidewall, it is available on the side of the Golf in front of the rear wheel.

While the ebb and flow of traffic certainly played its part Nat just put his head down and drove at a smooth yet aggressive pace. The passes I saw were clean.

Let me point out that the first 4 ITB cars crossed the finish line in order,one behind the other. One miscue would have cost many positions.

Look at the fastest laps:

Nat 1.05.264
Ken 1.04.763
Charley 1.05.877
Rick 1.05.264

Note that Ken is the only RWD car.

The next three ITB cars (Volvo) ran 1.07's.

Nat, I don't want your firstborn, but how about a 10 year 'no-pass' rule?

It was fun for me, nerve wracking, but fun nonetheless, to see my car win and have Nat earn that championship.

DZ

gran racing
09-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Damn, that was beyond nice of you Dave and as Jake said, a bit gutsy. Yeah, I think you deserve at least a 5 year rule on that one. If I had only known you were offering rides on your car. :) I'm still pissed I coudn't get the car repaired in time although it makes me feel better it wasn't raining during your qual. and race. Next year's gotta get easier, right?

Nice job Jake & Joe. So Jake, we gonna see you in ITB next year?

If any of us are given no choice but to "t-bone" a car, where do we aim???The axel / wheel.

Beran
09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Nat - Great job!
Dave - your the man.

Nat - hope to see you in NJ.

BTW- I do have a VW for sale ;-)

Beran

rthiele
09-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Coming back to the ITS/ITR/ITB discussion, I was driving the 92 BMW which got hit and turned by a red Mazda (I think it was the 77) in the left hander in the first lap. Motor died and 30 cars were coming my way :eek: thanks to everyone for watching out and trying to avoid me. Rick was the unfortunate one who could not get around me, but luckily enough he slowed down already significantly before impact. The whole situation could have been much worse. Hope his car is not damaged too badly. Mine needs some body work, but should be ready by mid October NJMP.
Race accidents can happen, but I don't think this one was necessary: the top 4 cars in front of me were going at a slower pace, understandable giving the wet track and the cold tires in the first lap. So everyone was queuing up, except for the Mazda RX7 who tried to win the race in the first two turns at any cost: he dive bombed into the left hander, proper hit on my left rear bumper.
As I said, accidents can happen. What bugs me: These kind of incidences with too much temper in the first lap are dangerous and can cause mass crashs and totalled cars. Nevertheless, the guy did not even show up after the race to see what damage he caused, not to speak about an explanation or apology - so the learning experience for the future I am afraid is zero.
I know I am emotional since I was the one who got hit (plus Rick), but I think this is bad driving & bad style.

lateapex911
09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
As I said, accidents can happen. What bugs me: These kind of incidences with too much temper in the first lap are dangerous and can cause mass crashs and totalled cars. Nevertheless, the guy did not even show up after the race to see what damage he caused, not to speak about an explanation or apology - so the learning experience for the future I am afraid is zero.
I know I am emotional since I was the one who got hit (plus Rick), but I think this is bad driving & bad style.

Well, in changeable conditions, and with minimal qualifying spreads, getting in front of cars can be VERY important. i might have qualified behind you by a tenth or two, but in the race I might be faster, for whatever reason. now if it begins to get damp, passing will be next to impossible, as the lead car can choose to stay on the dry line.

So I understand agression at the start.

But, as you said, mistakes are made.

I agree with you that the car that did the hitting should seek you out and apologise and/or discuss. Of course, there are two sides to every story.

Maybe though, before pronouncing him or her "guilty" you let some time pass, as you guys were the last group, and time to pack and get off the premises in the rain could be tight. Who knows, he may have had guests with him that included a worried mother and a bitchy girlfriend and he was just trying to keep the peace at home, so to speak. Let's hope he contacts you.

rthiele
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Good points, Jake. Provided that someone thinks rationally - I have seen too many racers who just mutate to different persons once the helmet is on and the green flag out. You can typically tell by the number of incidents what species you have - if someone is in control or takes accidents into consideration. We'll see.

In any case I do not wish him the racer's nightmare: the bitchy girl friend ;-)

raffaelli
09-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Coming back to the ITS/ITR/ITB discussion, I was driving the 92 BMW which got hit and turned by a red Mazda (I think it was the 77) in the left hander in the first lap. Motor died and 30 cars were coming my way :eek: thanks to everyone for watching out and trying to avoid me. Rick was the unfortunate one who could not get around me, but luckily enough he slowed down already significantly before impact. The whole situation could have been much worse. Hope his car is not damaged too badly. Mine needs some body work, but should be ready by mid October NJMP.
Race accidents can happen, but I don't think this one was necessary: the top 4 cars in front of me were going at a slower pace, understandable giving the wet track and the cold tires in the first lap. So everyone was queuing up, except for the Mazda RX7 who tried to win the race in the first two turns at any cost: he dive bombed into the left hander, proper hit on my left rear bumper.

I was watching your run. You drove well. Dig your graphics!

rthiele
09-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks Chris :)
Glad you like the design. Looks good on the track, but the car can easily get lost in the woods ;-)

robits325is
09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I was watching the local news and they ran a story about Paul Newman. A reporter was at Lime Rock interviewing PLNs competitors and they showed a 2 second clip of the start of the ITR/ITS/ITB race from Saturday and the car that stood out the most was Rob's Green zebra striped BMW.

dazzlesa
09-29-2008, 02:16 PM
rob oddly enough one of the ladies from timing and scoring thought it was busy and she wished that your # was on the center of your door. i think it looks cool. i am glad that you car is not worse. it could have been ugly. as soon as he tapped you i knew i was fxxked.

raffaelli
09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
rob oddly enough one of the ladies from timing and scoring thought it was busy and she wished that your # was on the center of your door. i think it looks cool. i am glad that you car is not worse. it could have been ugly. as soon as he tapped you i knew i was fxxked.

I was in T&S all weekend. There were some mention of not being able to find the number on the car. but, after the first lap you know the green zebra is 92!

raffaelli
09-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I was watching the local news and they ran a story about Paul Newman. A reporter was at Lime Rock interviewing PLNs competitors and they showed a 2 second clip of the start of the ITR/ITS/ITB race from Saturday and the car that stood out the most was Rob's Green zebra striped BMW.

Rob, great race! interesting finish in traffic at the line!

robits325is
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Rob, great race! interesting finish in traffic at the line!
Thanks. I think the last two NARRC Runoff races have been decided by less than .2 seconds combined. 2007 was .02 and this year it was .111

raffaelli
09-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks. I think the last two NARRC Runoff races have been decided by less than .2 seconds combined. 2007 was .02 and this year it was .111

Glad you found a hole in the pack to make the pass stick!

rthiele
09-29-2008, 03:32 PM
SCCA regionals on TV :happy204: That's great. Did not see the cameras, where were they?

@Rick: how's your car? What's damaged?

Glad the T&S issue got sorted out

ulfelder
09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I was driving the 92 BMW which got hit and turned by a red Mazda (I think it was the 77) in the left hander in the first lap.

The red 77 is Mark Gregory. Good driver, very aggressive, had a weak motor in his car this weekend so he may have wanted to get every inch he could on the start (he always does! :eek: ). Mark hasn't been around much this season, but he's a nice guy and reads this board sometimes, so I hope we'll hear from him.

Sorry about the rough break, Rob. I was pointed right at you (green Mazda) in that melee, getting set to either hit you or spin trying not to, when your car did one of those miraculous (for me) jukes and cleared a path.

Steve Ulfelder
Flatout Motorsports
05 ITS

JLawton
09-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I was pointed right at you (green Mazda) in that melee, getting set to either hit you or spin trying not to, when your car did one of those miraculous (for me) jukes and cleared a path.

Steve Ulfelder
Flatout Motorsports
05 ITS

Instead you hit that poor 944!!! :p

Kidding!! We were standing right there at Big Bend. I don't think he had any idea you were there. Tough break. He did get the worst of it.

The front runners in ITS/ITR put on a great show. Some outstanding driving and all with rear wheel drive!! Very impressive!!

ulfelder
09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Instead you hit that poor 944!!! :p

... I don't think he had any idea you were there. Tough break. He did get the worst of it.

Rats, I hoped nobody saw that, with only 2 laps to go. :D We talked afterward, and you're right - he didn't see me, and I thought he did because he'd just let another guy through. One a them racin' deals. As you say, it was just a fender for me, but suspension for him. Bummer.

Steve

lawtonglenn
09-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Will anyone summarize the ITS race?

....I would have much rather been there in the mist,
than doing amateur electrical work in my kitchen...

you'll be happy to know that both the fridge and the
blender work now ... :rolleyes:

ulfelder
09-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Will anyone summarize the ITS race?

I wish I could do a better job summarizing, but when I left the track, results hadn't even been posted yet. They're not up at the NARRC site yet.

Quick version: Misty conditions; I had my wipers on, but virtually everybody was on slicks. Maynard (ITR), Driscoll, and Harding took off. Driscoll wound up edging Harding for the ITS win. They lapped most everybody else. Ronald Jesberger (not sure whether it was Sr. or Jr.) ran a great race in a SM, he may have finished third in ITS. Henderson fourth, I think. (Maybe Hendo was third, Jesberger fourth - not sure).

Rob Thiele's spin on Lap 1 (described above) caused 10 cars to basically come to a halt in the Lefthander, I heard (I was lucky to be ahead of the mess).

No FCCs, lots of good heads-up driving in tough conditions. A dryish line would form for 5-6 laps, then the mist would intensify and it would be slippery city again ...

Steve

Magical Trevor
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.fox61.com/pages/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=2964640
NBC 30 (http://www.nbc30.com/) was there too, but I've not seen anything from them yet.

Andy Bettencourt
09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
After reading the other thread about the cage it got me to thinking.... How/why did richie get hit (t-boned) in the door??? From what was said ,he was off line, stopped and it was a direct hit in the door... Did the driver even attempt to go around the car?

More importantly can we learn from this??? If any of us are given no choice but to "t-bone" a car, where do we aim??? This certainly shows us to do everything possible to avoid a direct hit on the drivers door...

Raymond "something doesn't seem right about this..." Blethen

It's pretty clear now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDpUjcQe92c

lateapex911
09-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Uh, yea. It appears that Richies car was not as far to the right as I had understood it to be. That red car in front JUST got by.....

JLawton
09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, the Miata had nowhere to go. in fact, it looks like Richie was still rolling forward? Maybe trying to get out of the way??

lateapex911
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, I think if he had just backed off a tad, and maintained a normal line, it would have been fine, but hindsight is 20-20. I can certainly see how it was a racing deal. I imagine I might have ended up in the same place.

(It DOES serve to show that our perceptions aren't always accurate. Richie, was sure he only had his rear tires on the track when it happened, but the video shows that's not exactly the case. I imagine that makes the jobs of accident reconstruction people and SCCA Stewards difficult when people are SURE they know what happened, yet the physics don't add up)

Andy Bettencourt
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Well, I think if he had just backed off a tad, and maintained a normal line, it would have been fine, but hindsight is 20-20. I can certainly see how it was a racing deal. I imagine I might have ended up in the same place.

(It DOES serve to show that our perceptions aren't always accurate. Richie, was sure he only had his rear tires on the track when it happened, but the video shows that's not exactly the case. I imagine that makes the jobs of accident reconstruction people and SCCA Stewards difficult when people are SURE they know what happened, yet the physics don't add up)

Agreed. When he rounds the corner, the car in front of him blocks his view of Richie while the smoke starts in. He (logically IMHO) follows the car that can see Richie and then it's too late. I think I would have done the same thing with the same result...unless you could see Richie actaully sideways some bit earlier but I am not sure you could. Dang shame.

dickita15
09-30-2008, 03:20 PM
unless you could see Richie actaully sideways some bit earlier but I am not sure you could. Dang shame.

But Ritchie is alway sideways. :D

is sucks but it was no ones' fault

Andy Bettencourt
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
But Ritchie is alway sideways. :D

Checkmate! Usually it's in the lefthander :)

dominojd
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRallo
09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
yet another example of why locking your brakes and being "predictable" is the best (and always preached) practice...

however that is easier said than done, I would not want to be sideways ON the racing line either:eek:

Andy Bettencourt
09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I talked with Richie earlier and he swears he had both feet in. SWEARS.

And it's a hit like that where I thank god I bought a HR seat.

vwzx7
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, the Miata had nowhere to go. in fact, it looks like Richie was still rolling forward? Maybe trying to get out of the way??

Or let off the brakes and continued forward to get off the racing line...Jason had nowhere to go - tried to go away from the smoke with the other car. And he did let off, you can hear it and see his leg move up a bit. That's a critical corner and no time (in this instance) to make a second attempt at a correction.

benspeed
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
That is the hit I dread in racing - broadside to the oncoming traffic, stopped and being hit full on. Was the Miata driver OK? Wearing and HANS? That hit is THE REASON the wear one. Glad Richie is OK. Freak deal on the cage busting in. Wonder if Tech will ask to inspect the car.

Still holding out that somebody will post a detailed account of the ITS race. Did Dave Maynard win overall? That was his kind of conditions.

The number 77 driver Mark Greggory is a true standup guy so when he sees the post looking to chat with Mr. Thiel I am sure he will call or post. He is not a hammerhead driver.

Really missed not racing but damn, let's take it easy with the hard hits! (Not that anybody could do anything to avoid the deal in the video)

CREX ITA 69
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Well as you all know I do not play on this site to often ! However I would like to say thanks for all the congrats on Saturdays NARRC OFF WIN :smilie_pokal: I was very determined and looking forward to an epic battle with Andy for the win, however Andy was not up to the task......Just kidding AB :shrug: I would like to dedicate the WIN to my father "Bob" who passed in MAY and also to Paul Nueman ! Again thanks for the kind words.
Sincerly, Shane "Hollywood" Hawthorne.

raffaelli
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Great run Shane. Grabbed a nice lead early and stayed there. Joe seemed to be pulling you in...but not really, he spent alot of time behind a few cars. Congrats, strong driving!

gran racing
10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
That hit is THE REASON the wear one.

Ben, not to start an ISAAC vs HANS debate but side impacts are the reason I did not get a HANS. I'm pretty sure both Greg and Richie said they experienced issues when wearing their HANS with the type of impact it was.

vwzx7
10-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Was the Miata driver OK?

I think I saw him with an ice pack on the right forarm but I'm not sure...

rthiele
10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know if Ritchie had a seat with head protection (against side impacts)? Since Keith Odor's fatal crash in 1999 those were introduce and I think they make lots of sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxua2wdyoxo&feature=related

lateapex911
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm certain Richie has a HANS, and after the hit he said it seemed to do nothing. Greg Amy said the same of his Watkins Glen hit, and added that the HANS came out from under the left belt.

If I had a HANS, I'd need to get a seat with side wings , but, I wear an Isaac, so I have more options. I'm going to stick with what I have, as the wings take up a lot of real estate in the window, and could make egress very difficult. For me the Isaac is the best of both worlds.

Richie runs his car with NASA, so he has little choice. I don't recall seeing a winged seat but I could be wrong on that.

CRallo
10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I think I saw him with an ice pack on the right forarm but I'm not sure...

When I talked to Justin one of his wrists was wrapped and he was holding a cold water bottle against it. He was visibly shaken but otherwise seemed okay. As you can se in the video he did not take his hands off the wheel...

CRallo
10-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I talked with Richie earlier and he swears he had both feet in. SWEARS.

the effect a shock like that has on our perception and memory is amazing!!

moto62
10-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Another no no. Richie had one of those inexpensive (maybe Butler) alum seat with no wings and things. The upper part of it bent over to the right a good three inches. Had it not been for the seat back brace, that would have probably failed too. Never skimp on safety Man!

cchandler
10-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Just watched the impact video.

So why was Hunter rolling across the track into the path of the Miata?

I've had two hits in the past two years where drivers didn't lock 'em up and rolled across the track or off the track. It's not a matter of zigging when you should zag. It's a matter of spinners not being responsible enough to lock up the brakes and having a predictable trajectory.

Do it for your fellow racers - not for yourself..................please. :rolleyes:

lateapex911
10-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Richie SWEARS he was locked up, and I think he WAS, during most of the spin...check out the smoke, but at the last second, he obviously was rolling.

Honestly, maybe Richie could have done a better job, and probably the Miata as well, but, in the moment, both were doing their best, i bet.

gran racing
10-02-2008, 07:42 PM
At what point do you think he didn't have them locked up? After the first contact? That's what it looks like to me. From his split judgement perspective, if he did let the brakes go he did so while getting close to the inside of the track. If the Miata saw Richie (and I understand why he probably didn't), he would assumed Richie was going to continue his path - towards the inside of the track. In this case Christian, I'd argue that Richie was going in a predictable path.

Other incidents are different. I've been involved in at least two like you're talking about. One in the left hander where he never locked them up and recovered right into my passenger side door instead of continuing his spin off the track as anticipated. That does get frustrating.

CRallo
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
(in response to Dave)

richie was sideways at trackout for a long time. If he ever locked up his brakes, they were then. After he presumably released the brake(or after his tires finally found some traction) he suddenly began to roll across the track... that's my POV

benspeed
10-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I know that if I was either driver this second guessing on what to do, what ability etc. would bother the crap out of me. Let is rest that both guys were doing their damn best.

CRallo
10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I know that if I was either driver this second guessing on what to do, what ability etc. would bother the crap out of me. Let is rest that both guys were doing their damn best.

+1 :happy204:

The only reason I chimed in was because the "digging on the new guy" bothered me... don't know if that's a good excuse but that is mine:D

very good point, I second guess myself enough, I hate when someone else does it too...

Basically hindsight is 20/20 and what happened was racing

dtanthon
10-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree with Ben...... next .....

Who is coming to NJMP for the JRRC? Plenty of track time for a small amount.

Regional -
20 min
22 min
15 lap race (20 mins max)
22 lap race (30 mins max)
18 lap race (25 mins max)

Pro-IT -
30 min qual
40 min race
40 min race

End the season right.

Who is coming to the NARRC banquet in Albany?
Celebrate our NARRC champions
IT7 - Jake GULICK
ITC - Fred WHITE
ITB - Nat WENTWORTH
ITA - Crazy Joe DiMINNO (or is he just insane)
ITS - Jeff HARDING
ITR - Dave MAYNARD

Thanks,
Darrell

Mark Gregory
10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Driver of car number 77 ITS Mazda. I have spoken today with Mr Robert Thiele I have expressed to Mr Thiele my regrets for the unfortunate contact at the start of the NARRC race at Limerock Park on the 27th of September. I assured him that the contact was in no way intended . As every one in the race was aware the track conditions at the start of the race were very slippery to say the least. I was in complete control of my car at the time of the incident but did make very slight contact with the left rear bumper of Mr Thieles BMW. With the wet track conditions this contact was enough to send his car in to a spin. I explained to Robert that from my perspective there was a large space that opened up on the inside of the left hander and I made a move to go through the space. The opening started to close and I checked up but still made the unfotunate contact. I did seek out Robert after the race but he had already left the circuit. I completly understand how Robert feels as I have been on the recieving end of this type of incident more times than I car to remenber. Going forward I am shure that we will enjoy many new races together.

rthiele
10-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Mark, really appreciate the call - let's look forward now and have fun at NJMP and many more races!

Rob

benspeed
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I like racing with guys who have class - Kudos to Mr. Thiele and Mr. Greggory who demonstrate that there remains such a thing as "the gentleman racer".

I will now do my best to kick both your asses at NJMP :-) Although I think Rob got the best of me last time :-(

PsychoRallye
10-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi guys...
Read the thread, figured I should see what was being written about my unfortunate line choice at LRP. Yes, I was fine (and wearing a HANS thank goodness), and yes, my wrist is still bothering me, but not bad, just some pain, no mobility issues. Must have gotten wrenched back pretty good.

It's unfortunate that I t-boned whomever it was driving the other ITA car. I had actually decided before he was driving too aggressive for me and pulled back from him a bit on the green flag at the entry to big bend. I figured I'd give him a few laps and then see if I could make a move. Probably just a driving style difference, as you could see -- I took one wheel off on no-name so I gave the guy in the red car I was crowding on the right room for his line. I'm actually pretty conservative.
The crash...
I couldn't see with the smoke on the left and saw the other car and figured he wouldn't make it (did he? I think he made pretty good contact).

I think the other driver did have both feet in at first, but he decided to move (I can only assume he couldn't look right 90deg because of seat or hans). Too bad, there was a car width and a half when I committed to the line (and let off as someone pointed out). Once I saw he was moving I went to brakes, but I think it only helped a litle... I was really worried about hurting someone, including myself... Nobody wants to DNF a race... especially when you're on a super-limited budget (like me).

Anyway, hope the guy is better now. I wish the outcome had been different... His experience I'm reading about coupled with Whit's unfortunate experience in the #7 (newly repaired and broken again) at WGI at the "Last Chance" has convinced me FIA seats are the only way to go, no more aluminum.

Thanks for the kind words... and I understand the other stuff, but, the video shows what happened pretty well... one makes a call in a split second and, well, that's racing.
Cheers
Justin