PDA

View Full Version : Another question: roll cage related

civic44
09-16-2008, 01:34 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I am looking into converting my race car to IT specs. My roll cage is of a somewhat unusual design. There are no bars in the same plane as the main hoop. There are two bars from the top corners of the main hoop to the chassis (in the normal manner) and there is an X-brace in those bars. There is another X brace half way down the main hoop to the chassis. The horizontal bar to which the shoulder section of the harness attaches is in the X-brace of the abovementioned rear bars. It's 1/2 width, on the driver's side.

From my understanding of the GCR, it is OK if the diagonal brace supporting the main hoop is not actually in same plane as the main hoop if it goes from the top of one rear bar to the bottom of the other. Is this correct? If so, then my upper X fulfills that requirement.

It also seems that the horizontal bar for the harnesses has to be in same plane as the main hoop. Am I understanding the rule book correctly, and do I have to add a harness bar to my main hoop? Or am I ok in that the harness bar is attached to the bracing of the main hoop (which is not in the same plane as the main hoop). I think I'm being clear, but if not, I could attempt to make a drawing.

Thanks again.

Vince in Montreal

Ed Funk
09-16-2008, 02:16 PM
We (I) would do better with a drawing or a photo.

Speed Raycer
09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
You're correct that one of the legs in the X in the rear hoop braces meets the current (and IMO dumb) rule.

I don't recall anything about the harness bar having to be in the same plane, I do recall something about the diagonal being in the same plane if it's the traditional design. If the harness had to be in the same plane, there'd be a lot of people in trouble that have the clearance bends behind the drivers.

Now, shorter is better wrt belt stretch