PDA

View Full Version : Intterior "gutting" question

civic44
09-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Hello,

I am considering converting my 2000 Honda Civic Si race car to ITS specs. It is currently in a spec similar to World Challenge. It seems I will be able to undo all my illegal mods. However, one that worries me is that when I removed the interior, I cut off the rear parcel shelf, which was made of sheet metal and was part of the body. This was not strictly necessary to install the roll cage, but it makes it easier to carry wheels and stuff in the car (the car is still street registered and is often driven to events) by making the hole between the interior and the trunk a lot bigger. What can I do about this situation? The weight removal is probably less than 2 pounds. Is there any way to make this legal? Thanks. Other questions will surely follow as I go through the GCR...

Vince in Montreal

Greg Amy
09-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Vince, the obvious answer is to obtain one of those panels and re-weld it back into the car. Simple right? :blink:

To the "tortured interpretation of the rules" thing, can this panel be remotely consider rear seat back "attaching hardware
and bracketry"? If so, it can be removed. I'd say "no", but I've seen worse interpretations...

Of course, the secondary (inferred) question is "can I get away with it?" We all recognize it's illegal, but that there's no significant performance advantage, so I have to really wonder if anyone's going to give you grief about it. You could clean it up, make it look stock, and go with it. Please note this is not an approval an agreement that it's legal, simply a recognition of the reality of your situation. But, it would be contrary to the rules.

Me? I'd run as-is for now, putting it on the list of "To Do" in the somewhat-near future.

Xian
09-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Me? I'd run as-is for now, putting it on the list of "To Do" in the somewhat-near future.

Greg is spot-on. Legal? Not likely. Should it keep you from getting out to the track and getting up to speed? Not, imo.

Christian

Speed Raycer
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Here's a thought... get another panel and dzus it (or some other quick fastener system). Take it out and set it in the trunk when hauling, then install it at the track. I don't think anyone would give you grief about it once they see what the issue is.

civic44
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still looking into the rules to see what is feasible for the rest of the car, but it's looking good, as my cage in 90% legal as is and would probably need one new tube.

RacerBill
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Here's a thought... get another panel and dzus it (or some other quick fastener system). Take it out and set it in the trunk when hauling, then install it at the track. I don't think anyone would give you grief about it once they see what the issue is.

I like Scott's suggestion. You could alway call it the bulkhead to seperate the fuel cell (that you have not put in yet) from the driver's area. :)

joeg
09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Don't worry about it!

Ed Funk
09-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Not a problem! ---unless you're faster than me!!:happy204:

jhooten
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Would it be easier to make it meet WC spec and run in D Prepared?

civic44
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
As for D-prepared, the car is not much faster than if it were ITS, it just has extra horsepower...