PDA

View Full Version : Gateway in October!

SLUF
09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Never too early to get a thread going! If all goes well I'll be in an ITB Bimmer and Trey will be in IT7 both days. If not, Trey and I will split the POS-7 in IT7.

Who is coming and what class? I still would like to have an IT7 get together if we get enough interested to do something.

Speed Raycer
09-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Double regional correct??? You should lobby to spit IT7 off with SM and then you guys can double dip in A so you both can drive the 7!

We're planning on being there in the Neon!

buldogge
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Saturday= MidAm Bonus Race (double points if qualified)
Sunday=Non-Points Regional

I'll be running Saturday only...

SLUF
09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
There is a "very" slim chance that Trey may be in a Formula Vee that weekend so we'll see on how much use the POS-7 gets.
Edit update: Looks like they have split IT7 off into SM!

BTW Mark, Trey is looking for some backstage passes this weekend!

brprok81
09-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Online registration is open and can be accessed here http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/gcr.aspx?eventID=3092&return=/clubs/stlscca/clubrace.aspx%3fEventID%3d3092 .

Want more track time? We are planning on having two qualifying sessions for each group for both days.

As Mark said Saturday is the MidAm Bonus Regional race so this is a must for anybody who wants to win a MidAm championship.

And yes, IT7 and SM are there own group

mustanghammer
09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
If my car survives the Solo II Nationals I should be there in IT7

Hmm - extra practice......maybe I better visit the Kumho dealer in while I'm in Topeka!

tnord
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
um.....yeah.....i don't think i'll make it this year. :)

plan on being there next year though.

brprok81
09-16-2008, 08:51 PM
um.....yeah.....i don't think i'll make it this year. :)

plan on being there next year though.

What Travis, is the car underweight now, or does the fact that it is about 3 feet shorter break some rule? :D Can't wait to see you back on the track next year in whatever your new ride might be.

tnord
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
all signs point to me being back in a real ITA miata, but we'll see.

ebb
09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I am planning on being there in IT 7. I think I just need to handle a few things mechanical first to be sure.

SLUF
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
The Scott Aerospace Technologies racing team (www.scottaerotech.com (http://www.scottaerotech.com)) plan A is for me to run the POS-7 in ITA and Trey to run IT7. We'll stick with that for now.

Shameless plug for the company!

ishod
09-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I just registered for IT7. My work schedule has kept me me from most of the races this year. I made Hallet in July but that's been it. Can't wait for STL in Oct. Hopefully we'll get more IT7 entries. It would be great if they would put IT7 with the ITA group.

SLUF
09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Way to go Scott! As far as IT7 goes we expect at least four more entries if all is well with the cars. There should be two more local entries and maybe Matt and Charles will make a pretty good IT7 group. We hope to have our headers and new exhaust on so a few more squirrels in the engine bay to get us down the track a bit better will help.

Speed Raycer
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
We hope to have our headers and new exhaust on so a few more squirrels in the engine bay to get us down the track a bit better will help.

I've tried to find a mention in the GCR where Squirrels are allowed, but have been unsuccessful... Is that an update/backdate? ;)

ishod
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I talked to Charles Casteel (Kansas City) over the weekend and he's going to try to be in STL in IT7. Something about how if he's a good chap at home maybe he can get some form of family dispensation to attend.

Squirrels? I can't imagine why anyone would protest rodents anywhere in the drivetrain. My car usually has a squirrel in the cockpit.

mustanghammer
09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm registered in IT7. Should be a blast

Speed Raycer
09-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Anyone able to post the contents of the GIR T&T file that came with registration confirmation from Carol? I can't seem to open it.

Oh.. registered for ITA...

SLUF
09-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Sent you one in pdf format.

Speed Raycer
09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks Bud! I thought maybe it was something I didn't know already :p

brprok81
09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Scott, you are probably one of those silly people who also reads the Supplemental Regulations for all the events you go to. ;)

ccasteel
09-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I got the go ahead and will be there in IT7. I haven't been to GIR since 2001. My memory tells me there were no showers back then. Are there any now?

Racerlinn
09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
I may try and make it over for this event. If I do, it will have to be a morning banzai run from Indy to try and make the second qual session on Saturday morning. I assume that they still open the backstretch gate between certain sessions to let traffic in? Can anyone comment on this? I'd hate to be stuck sitting outside the gate as the cars in my group go by......

Speed Raycer
09-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Well... if you get stuck, you could always unload outside of the gate and drive the SER through the tunnel :D

Yes, if you're waiting at the gate, they'll let you through between sessions.

brprok81
09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Good to see all the IT's that have already announced they are coming. Hopefully the entries will continue to come in and there will be good racing for all.

Charles, there are no showers at the track. I believe there may be pay showers at the truck stop across the road, but I am not positive on this one.

On a side note: How do you like the groupings that we have for this race? With it being regional only we get flexibility in which classes run together and we try to change things up so that you can get some different cars to race against. If there is anybody who doesn't like them, what would you like to see? There might not be anything we can do for this year, but we are always looking to make things better in the future.

mustanghammer
09-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Good to see all the IT's that have already announced they are coming. Hopefully the entries will continue to come in and there will be good racing for all.

Charles, there are no showers at the track. I believe there may be pay showers at the truck stop across the road, but I am not positive on this one.

On a side note: How do you like the groupings that we have for this race? With it being regional only we get flexibility in which classes run together and we try to change things up so that you can get some different cars to race against. If there is anybody who doesn't like them, what would you like to see? There might not be anything we can do for this year, but we are always looking to make things better in the future.

My only concern is where ITS and ITR are grouped. They need to be with the rest of the IT cars. That is where these cars are at all other MiDiv events. They are familar with the other IT drivers and they are on DOT tires - not slicks. This really makes no sense to me. Bad move on STL's part.

I have no issue with IT7 being grouped with SM. The cars are compatible and it allows both SM and IT7 drivers to double dip in ITA if so inclined.

brprok81
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
My only concern is where ITS and ITR are grouped. They need to be with the rest of the IT cars.

We split these of to try and spread the entries out into different groups. We never get a large field for the big bore group at this event and IT is always populated. How about the ITS/ITR drivers, what are your thoughts on running with the big bore at regionals?

mcgyverit
09-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I like not having the itr and s guys not in the field, gives the rest of the field more laps instead of being cut short by a couple usually

:happy204:

SLUF
10-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Hmmmmmm........................................... ...........

May have to trade with Trey and run IT7!!!!! I am sure there will be two more local entries, could be fun!

tnord
10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
does anyone know where the bonus regional moves to next year?

hopefully somewhere a little more "miata friendly?" :D

mustanghammer
10-01-2008, 04:49 PM

hopefully somewhere a little more "miata friendly?" :D

Hmmmm.....what could be more Miata friendly than a momentum track like Gateway? Not sure their could be a better track for cars that don't have torque. An RX7 is a star at that place.

tnord
10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Hmmmm.....what could be more Miata friendly than a momentum track like Gateway? Not sure their could be a better track for cars that don't have torque. An RX7 is a star at that place.

GIR is a big drag race. a low HP car like a miata gets slaughtered around the oval.

mustanghammer
10-01-2008, 05:42 PM
GIR is a big drag race. a low HP car like a miata gets slaughtered around the oval.

By what other ITA cars? Have you ever driven there?

True, the oval is a straight away with a bend in it. But you have to have a car that handles to use it that way. I can matt the thottle all the way around the oval and I go faster at Gateway than anywhere else. But to go really fast there you have to be brave in T1 and T2. It doesn't take HP to do that - just guts.

I followed Nadeem Bari and Jim Stevens into turn 1 several years ago. I saw NO brake lights. Balls...total balls.... I believe that they were running 1:12's or 1:13's in their RX7's SM Miatas were as fast or faster that weekend.

I don't know any RX7 drivers (IT and Production) that don't like Gateway and RX7's are momentum cars.

tnord
10-01-2008, 08:04 PM
By what other ITA cars? Have you ever driven there?

True, the oval is a straight away with a bend in it. But you have to have a car that handles to use it that way. I can matt the thottle all the way around the oval and I go faster at Gateway than anywhere else. But to go really fast there you have to be brave in T1 and T2. It doesn't take HP to do that - just guts.

I followed Nadeem Bari and Jim Stevens into turn 1 several years ago. I saw NO brake lights. Balls...total balls.... I believe that they were running 1:12's or 1:13's in their RX7's SM Miatas were as fast or faster that weekend.

I don't know any RX7 drivers (IT and Production) that don't like Gateway and RX7's are momentum cars.

yeah, last october actually. any car should be able to stay flat through the oval, and i really don't think T1 matters that much. I went through it with no brakes last year, but i did lift. the real keys to the track imo is T5/T6 (whatever that goofy carousel is) and T7....especially T7.

also imo....a good ITA car should be doing 1:10, and i REALLY think 1:09 is achieveable. a 120hp SM (and that's a stout SM) will get killed around the oval by a 140hp honda, or a 130hp ITA miata, or a Neon, or a 240sx, or an SE-R, or anything besides an IT-7 really.

SLUF
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
A good ITA car at 1:09?

Travis, put the crack pipe down and slowly back away from the keyboard. The ITS and ITE cars do good to get there.

tnord
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
and i think a good ITS car should be down around 1:07.

if SM's are in the 12's, an ITA miata with 15 more hp, better suspension, lighter weight, better aero, and hoosiers should be about 2-3sec quicker.

ebb
10-01-2008, 11:35 PM
So you are saying that a good ITS car/driver has never been to GIR? The track record for ITS is over 3 seconds off 1:07. No SM cars were in the 12's at the last regional in St.louis. I am not saying in cannot be done in ITS, but it has not happened yet.

buldogge
10-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Travis... We all look forward to your first 1:09xx laps with your new ITA car in March.

Were you the one saying you have never driven GIR before in another thread?

Did you make a final decision on car/class yet?

Why don't you rent a ride (Burkett's ITS '99?) for the 25th...???

tnord
10-02-2008, 12:00 AM
So you are saying that a good ITS car/driver has never been to GIR? The track record for ITS is over 3 seconds off 1:07. No SM cars were in the 12's at the last regional in St.louis. I am not saying in cannot be done in ITS, but it has not happened yet.

October 28th 2007
Spooktacular
Group 6 - SM & IT7

Stephen Johnson - 1:12.647
Jarrod Igou - 1:12.975

now, i understand that weather conditions were basically perfect that weekend, but I can find multiple times in the dead of summer at a 1:13.0xx

how much faster do you think a car should go if it suddenly had 15more hp, 45 fewer lbs, significantly upgraded suspension, shorter gearing, and hoosiers rather than toyos?

what if it had 40 more hp instead of only 15 more (like an ITS miata does)?

i'm not trying to be confrontational, i'm just asking. :shrug:

tnord
10-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Travis... We all look forward to your first 1:09xx laps with your new ITA car in March.

Were you the one saying you have never driven GIR before in another thread?

Did you make a final decision on car/class yet?

Why don't you rent a ride (Burkett's ITS '99?) for the 25th...???

that was probably in last year's Spooktacular thread where i said i hadn't driven the track since my drivers school 3 years ago (2004) in the snow. i was there last october.

final decision? no, but i'm pretty sure i know which direction i'm going.

i'm kinda busy that weekend.

ebb
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I know the SM's have been in the low 1:12's (not this summer), sorry my wording was confusing. I meant that the ITS cars have never been anywhere close to 1:07. I would be happy to make 1:15.

October 28th 2007
Spooktacular
Group 6 - SM & IT7

Stephen Johnson - 1:12.647
Jarrod Igou - 1:12.975

now, i understand that weather conditions were basically perfect that weekend, but I can find multiple times in the dead of summer at a 1:13.0xx

how much faster do you think a car should go if it suddenly had 15more hp, 45 fewer lbs, significantly upgraded suspension, shorter gearing, and hoosiers rather than toyos?

what if it had 40 more hp instead of only 15 more (like an ITS miata does)?

i'm not trying to be confrontational, i'm just asking. :shrug:

mustanghammer
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Because the track is short and fast (high average speed) times are compressed. You cannot assume time spreads based on other tracks in the division or around the country. Gateway is that different.

At Gateway aren't the GT1 cars averaging in 1:00 - 1:01 lap times? A good IT7 time is just 13-14 seconds slower than that. Now, at MAM the same cars are like 25 (or more) seconds apart.

So an IT7 car that is 1 second slower than an SM at Gateway is the same as the 2-4 second spread everywhere else.

Anyway.......watcha doing that has you sooooo busy Travis????

tnord
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I know the SM's have been in the low 1:12's (not this summer), sorry my wording was confusing. I meant that the ITS cars have never been anywhere close to 1:07. I would be happy to make 1:15.

no problem.

if a SM is down 15hp, weight, suspension, tires, aero, etc to a good ITA miata, how much faster should the ITA car be?

If an ITA miata is down 25hp from an ITS miata, how much faster should the ITS car be?

tnord
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Because the track is short and fast (high average speed) times are compressed. You cannot assume time spreads based on other tracks in the division or around the country. Gateway is that different.

the short track thing is a valid point i thought about, but i figured that was kinda nullified in that in my mind, the track is still a big drag race

At Gateway aren't the GT1 cars averaging in 1:00 - 1:01 lap times? A good IT7 time is just 13-14 seconds slower than that. Now, at MAM the same cars are like 25 (or more) seconds apart.

and how many Nationally competitive GT1 cars do we have around here?

Anyway.......watcha doing that has you sooooo busy Travis????

attending my own wedding. and even if i wasn't....
1) i haven't renewed my liscense or membership this year
2) my car is.....how do you say........um......broken?
3) i don't rent cars, ESPECIALLY at concrete jungles like GIR. way way way too big of risk to the bank account.

ebb
10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I see your point, sounds like someone needs to build a good ITS miata and go win some races.

no problem.

if a SM is down 15hp, weight, suspension, tires, aero, etc to a good ITA miata, how much faster should the ITA car be?

If an ITA miata is down 25hp from an ITS miata, how much faster should the ITS car be?

mustanghammer
10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
and how many Nationally competitive GT1 cars do we have around here?

Bll Gray......I believe he has one National Championship to his credit

attending my own wedding. and even if i wasn't....
1) i haven't renewed my liscense or membership this year
2) my car is.....how do you say........um......broken?
3) i don't rent cars, ESPECIALLY at concrete jungles like GIR. way way way too big of risk to the bank account.[/quote]

Gee, I would think the wedding was enough!!

tnord
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
yes, if Bill Gray is doing 1:01.xxx, i would say that is certainly credible. :)

SLUF
10-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Taking wagers for RX-7 IT7/ITA lap times during the weekend:

1. Scott Peterson 1:14.250
2. Matt Rivard 1:14.982
3. Charles Casteel 1:15.220
4. Scott Goble 1:16.500
5. Curt Faigle 1:17.650
6. Trey Scott 1:17.850
7. Bud Scott 1:18.250 (ITA)
8. Fred Hunter 1:18.300

I say we all chip in 10 bucks to a pool and closest total time winner gets the pot. Lap times may be during qualifying or a race. This is not a finishing order, just lap times.

keycom
10-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Anyone?

mustanghammer
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Taking wagers for RX-7 IT7/ITA lap times during the weekend:

1. Scott Peterson 1:14.250
2. Matt Rivard 1:14.982
3. Charles Casteel 1:15.220
4. Scott Goble 1:16.500
5. Curt Faigle 1:17.650
6. Trey Scott 1:17.850
7. Bud Scott 1:18.250 (ITA)
8. Fred Hunter 1:18.300

I say we all chip in 10 bucks to a pool and closest total time winner gets the pot. Lap times may be during qualifying or a race. This is not a finishing order, just lap times.

I'm flattered but i have never come close to that time. The car has - just not with me in it. Of course I will try my best!

If they have newer tires Charles and Matt will be tough

ebb
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I will be on new tires, but would be very happy to see that time. I don't know my best lap from before but it was not that fast. The only reason I went as fast as I did is because I was following Albin, when he is not around I get a lot slower.

JIgou
10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone?

Frequently, the Bonus Race location isn't identified until the schedule for that year is solidified.

The 2009 schedule is in the works, but not solidified. And because I'm purposely not in the loop on that stuff anymore, I can't give any previews, either. :D

Jarrod

ishod
10-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm in for the $10.00 pot and will be glad to donate it as I assume I'll be mid-pack. Casteel beat me by a nose at the Sunday Hallet race a couple of months ago so I have him on my radar (Great race Charles). Is there some way we can all meet and greet at the track? I'll probably park in the covered garage so look for me (yellow RX7 with blue stripe #03). I think it would be great to arrange a meet before Sat qualifying. Any ideas?

mustanghammer
10-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm in for the $10.00 pot and will be glad to donate it as I assume I'll be mid-pack. Casteel beat me by a nose at the Sunday Hallet race a couple of months ago so I have him on my radar (Great race Charles). Is there some way we can all meet and greet at the track? I'll probably park in the covered garage so look for me (yellow RX7 with blue stripe #03). I think it would be great to arrange a meet before Sat qualifying. Any ideas?

Okay, I put some skin in the game too - $10. I'll look you up in the garage.

By the way, what does the garage rent for and is that an arrangement I make through the track?

SLUF
10-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Garage rent is handled through the track. I think its 50 a day but don't quote me on that. I'll try to get you an email posted up today for contact info.

I tried to convince Trey to let me run IT7 instead of ITA but he's being a little ****head about it! I hate kids!

I wouldn't mind a little meet and/or beer time on Saturday either.

Speed Raycer
10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
While I know that there's no "reserving" parking spaces, I'm sure if you got ahold of Burkett, the current CR Committee Chair... and rotor head.... could spread the word that there be an area for the rx7 guys park... Kinda like Miataville ;)

SLUF
10-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Mr. Peterson, you can contact Dan Harman ([email protected]) for information concerning the garage rental. Tell him Bud Scott sent you his way!

ebb
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I will donate 10.

ishod
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
This isn't very helpful but last year I believe I either paid $75 per day for garage space or maybe it was $75 for both days, I can't remember. I can tell you that all you need to do is show-up and find a garage spot. Park in it and a GIR rep will come around and collect the fee sometime over the weekend. I'm seriously thinking about doing the Friday test day so anyone who wants to pit close by please let me know and I will block-off some spaces nearby in the garage area. Let me know your name and/or car number so I can stake a claim for you.

Scott Goble
IT7 #03

trd77
10-08-2008, 11:32 PM
My dad and I are thinking about running, do they have enough cars to run the event. Also, with small numbers is it possible that they might combine classes, at least on Sunday to help get people on the road? Are they going to have a late fee or not? Any info would be appericiated and look forward to the event, the people there make it an enjoyable event to close the season out. I am also looking forward to seeing an ITA car run 1:10s and 1:09s

Speed Raycer
10-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Looking at the entry list, they'd probably combine grp 2 & 4. The IT groups look pretty typical to a little light although the SM's are noticibly absent (not that any of the IT7 drivers would mind ;) ) Way to go IT7 guys! I see how it is... I sell my car to Matt and then you all come out of the woodwork!

I haven't heard anything about cancellations. Entries may pick up after this weeks big to-do over at Topeka ;)

SLUF
10-09-2008, 07:46 AM
You mean there is SCCA racing in Topeka? And NO IT cars? Wow, what a shame.

Grumpa
10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope the weather is great for the race weekend and everyone gets to load their cars on the trailers with all four corners on 'em. I can't make it as the IRP concrete got my racecar in May and the new one isn't ready until next year. I do enjoy GIR - interesting concrete jungle to get around quickly - and racing with you folks is a fun weekend - but then any weekend spent in a racecar is fun. Have an enjoyable weekend, Ladies and Gents, hope to see you in the spring.

brprok81
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
My dad and I are thinking about running, do they have enough cars to run the event. Also, with small numbers is it possible that they might combine classes, at least on Sunday to help get people on the road? Are they going to have a late fee or not? Any info would be appericiated and look forward to the event, the people there make it an enjoyable event to close the season out. I am also looking forward to seeing an ITA car run 1:10s and 1:09s

The St. Louis Region is committed to this event and it will be held. I am sure we will look at combining groups, but that will be a decision we will probably not make until that weekend. We do not charge a late fee. We are aware that sometimes peoples plans change in the last minute and we do not want to penalize those people. Plus we are doing everything we can to attract racers. Bring your friends, neighbors, and family because even though our turnout might be a little light we are still planning on having a great time!

gottagofast13
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I just signed up and this will be my first time at GIR. Although I won't be able to make it until the afternoon, I am planning to do the test day on Friday.

Does anyone have in-car video (DE or race) to share so I can get a feel for the track?

Ryan Staub
ITS #13
E30 325i

Racerlinn
10-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Short videos of my first ever race right after my drivers school. Won the ITA class with a last lap, last corner pass of Steve Johnson in his Miata (I think it was him. Or his car.)
No need to critique my novice ham fisted driving or brief use of the grass as a racing surface. :)
But it will at least get you familiar with where the turns go.
Pace and start.
http://www.indyscca.org/video/200503_GatewayIntl_Start.wmv
Finish laps.
http://www.indyscca.org/video/200503_GatewayIntl_Final_Hoot.wmv

Speed Raycer
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.rm944.com/events/2008-04-26_27%20Gateway/Gateway%20-%20Sunday.wmv a very LOONNGGG video but good view of the track

If you go to youtube and search for Gateway International...

Street E36 @ a PDX (Julian Cates) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEdxvkffPl4

E30 M3 during NASA's GIR Race (Damon Peak) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km-NjW7srEY

tnord
10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
is there anyone that's willing to transport a miata fender from KC to STL for me? it will be paid for in advance, so all you'll have to do is give it to Peter Zekert at the track.

ebb
10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I will move the fender for you, if you bring it to my house.

tnord
10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
where do you live?

ebb
10-15-2008, 04:58 PM
I sent my address in a pm.

gottagofast13
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the videos guys.

Travis - I can take the fender if you'd like. We'll just need to find a time to meet up - I work at College and Metcalf in OP.

tnord
10-15-2008, 07:37 PM
thanks ryan.

i'm out of town tomorrow, but i'll be back friday. set a day and i'll actually meet you guys for lunch.

gottagofast13
10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
thanks ryan.

i'm out of town tomorrow, but i'll be back friday. set a day and i'll actually meet you guys for lunch.

Let's shoot for Tues-Wednesday next week. E-mail me next week to let me know which day would work best for you - e-mail is [email protected] .

Speed Raycer
10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Holy Cow... There are 4 MR2's registered in A!!!!!! That's gotta be a first.

SLUF
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
I hate to do this guys but it looks like Trey and I will not be able to make this weekend's race. Unless some contract payments make it in the next day or two we'll have to cancel our entries. This sucks big time but apparently you really can't use an entry fee as an excuse to the mortgage company for not making the payment. I don't get why they don't understand! Hopefully things will improve but don't count on us making the race weekend.

ebb
10-21-2008, 10:41 AM
That is terrible news Bud, will you be coming out at all? Maybe you could sneak into my car for a qualifying session. Well not really, but I heard a funny story about this happening once. I joke with my crew man about him going out all the time. Hopefully your situation changes and you can still make it.

Matt

ccasteel
10-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay while at GIR. I see the track has a deal with a Ramada 12 miles away. Is it necessary to go out that far, or are there good places closer?

ebb
10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Try the Westin downtown, only 4 miles. I have stayed there 3 or 4 times and had a great experience every time. Of course there are many options close to that also. The rooms there are a little expensive but my wife likes it a lot.

Speed Raycer
10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
There's a list of hotels/motels somewhere on stlscca.org http://stlscca.org/Default.aspx?tabid=28

My only recomendation - Don't stay TOO close to the track ;)

ccasteel
10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Okay I'll put up $10.00. I'll do my best but last time I was there in '01, I checked and I was running 1:19's. As for getting together, it looks like the test day may be cancelled. I'll be leaving KC hopefully around noon Friday. It never happens as planned, but hopefully I'll get in before dark. It doesn't look like there will be a shortage of space, but if I'm looking to paddock by the rest of you 7's where should I look?

mustanghammer
10-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Okay I'll put up $10.00. I'll do my best but last time I was there in '01, I checked and I was running 1:19's. As for getting together, it looks like the test day may be cancelled. I'll be leaving KC hopefully around noon Friday. It never happens as planned, but hopefully I'll get in before dark. It doesn't look like there will be a shortage of space, but if I'm looking to paddock by the rest of you 7's where should I look?

I'll probably be where ever Charlie Clark is parking. If the weather looks dicy I may grab a garage space if possible.

I'm leaving at 5 and expect to arrive between 10-11PM

Speed Raycer
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
[deleted weather forecast image]

mcgyverit
10-27-2008, 08:18 AM
What a great weekend!

Thanks to all that came by and congratulated Scott on his first win and also a first win for the Plan "B" Racing Team!

It definately paid off running the PDX the weekend before to get the setup that he was confortable with for Saturdays race and with that he broke into the 15's which is about 1-1/2 seconds faster than our previous best time.

Must be the combination of the new cage (Izzy's of course) and Performance Driven Springs.

See you all next spring....

m glassburner
10-27-2008, 05:36 PM
:happy204:I will add that he was first overall in his group too !!

Speed Raycer
10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
What a great weekend for the Plan B Racing team!

I can say that it was all a new experience for me! Never been at the "pointy end" much less been the point ;) All I had planned for the weekend was to finish both races to keep my license and be sure that the Plan B Racing/Izzy's Custom Cages (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/Home.html)/Performance Driven LLC (http://www.performancedrivenllc.com) Neon pulled back onto the trailer under its own power!

I lucked out on Saturday with Chris Edens having problems in lap 15. He seriously checked out after lap 3 or 4 (I guess he was the Pro and we were the Shmoes this time [GRM reference there (http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/media/img/issues/cover-6-08.jpg)]).

I was so surprised by the lead I had at the start, I forgot to shift going into 1. Before I realized what was going on, I bounced off of the rev limiter for what seemed like 5 seconds and Chris flew by me in T1 like I was standing still. Kind of a blur after that so I'll have to review the tape to see how the next 2 laps went.

I backed off once I saw Chris in T1 as I was coming out of Nascar 4 and just kept an eye on my mirrors and worked on some different lines. Coming through 3b I saw the standing yellow at 4 and realized it was Chris sitting at 5's corner station. Well now, that changes things! About a lap later my exhaust pipe decided to make things a little more interesting by separating from the resonator pipe. For a few seconds I didn't really know what happened, but knew something was wrong when I started seeing our friends in white down on their knees looking under the car. I started praying for two things... the Last Lap sign and to NOT see the meatball flag. Thank you Control for letting me stay out there!

I came up on some traffic and wanted to get them in between me and the rest of the A guys. I didn't want to push anything too hard in the infield so waited until the oval/straight to really pass anyone. In doing so, I missed the last lap sign. Had I realized that, I'd have backed off and made it a little easier for the tapers up in T&S and Daryl up in the Start stand. Almost smacked into the other Neon at the finish line when he braked at the checker. Guess he didn't realize that he had another lap to go before his race was over.

Sunday was just as new with us making the pole. I figured if I screwed up royally at the start, Nathan W, Jeff L, Pat F and Dana H. would be ALL over me. Nathan proved me right as he was filling my mirrors for quite a while. From the sound of it, all the action was a little further back so lets hear about it guys!

A huge thanks go out to my brother and car owner Steve Rhea, Mike Glassburner for all of his advise on setup, racecraft and just general entertainment, Tighe House for all of the hard work and BS taking for the last couple of years and to Performance Driven LLC (http://www.performancedrivenllc.com) for their amazing springs. Hopefully next year we'll get out to more MiDiv races and get to mix it up with you guys a little more!

mustanghammer
10-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks St Louis Region for a great weekend. As always you guys do a great job of combining intense racing with a laid back-low stress weekend. It was the mini-vacation from life that I needed - Win, Lose or Draw.

Many thanks also to my fellow IT7 competitor Matt Rivard. I have never ever had a race like that! No wonder I had no attention span at work today....I used it all up on Saturday in our race. I have thought about how things transpired allot over the last couple of days and honestly that race could have gone either way. I was just lucky enough to pull off a fast lap at the right time....and I am not exactly sure how I did it. It is nice to know you can run hard with someone and come back with all your fenders intact. And that seem to go for all of the guys in IT7. It was nice to put some faces with names and cars.

Well - can't wait til next year. Memories of driving my car with the rear tires through turns 3-6 will sustain me all winter!

ebb
10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I can't believe we have to wait so long to do it again. It will at least give me some time to put some money back in the bank. It would be great if all the IT7 guys look at the schedule when it comes out so we can try to coordinate which races to attend. Saturday's race was by far the most fun I have had even with a 2nd place finish. Scott had a 1:14.5 lap somewhere in there, I could not get below 1:15.0. Scott, I hope I made you drive a little faster than you have before. Next year I will try to get better and win a couple times against you.

Too bad about Sunday for my axle, Scott Peterson and I were within .1 in qualifying again. I am sure it would have been close. Also thanks to Scott Goble and his crew for helping push my dead car back on the trailer.

ebb
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Intersting picture of my broken axle.

mustanghammer
10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Intersting picture of my broken axle.

And who said Rotaries have no torque!!!

And yea.....you were pushing me dude. A 15.8 is the best time I have ever posted at Gateway before Saturday.

SLUF
10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Trey and I enjoyed visiting with you all for a bit this weekend. Wish we could have been out there but them's the breaks.

I'm with Matt on coordinating some races in IT7 next year. It looks like a new job may take me to Arkansas but I'll definitely be able to get to STL, Memphis, and Hallett for sure. We will also be doing some improvements over the winter with headers/exhaust system and a tri-link at the top of the list. Better handling and more horsepower!!!!!!!

brprok81
10-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Thank you to everybody who came out!! The turnout was a bit light but we still managed to have a good time, and the racing did not disappoint. Congratulations to all the winners! Have a great winter and hopefully we will see you all at the track next year.

Speed Raycer
10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey Mr. STL Club Race Committee Chairman... Next October might be a very good opportunity to revisit a Timed PDX w/i the weekend. Just a thought to pad the turnout #'s.

tnord
10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
the bonus race shouldn't be in STL next year. i was pretty sure it rotates around the division every 2 yrs.

brprok81
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey Mr. STL Club Race Committee Chairman... Next October might be a very good opportunity to revisit a Timed PDX w/i the weekend. Just a thought to pad the turnout #'s.

I am hoping to have a discussion between the road race committee and the PDX committee about having a joint venture next year.

the bonus race shouldn't be in STL next year. i was pretty sure it rotates around the division every 2 yrs.

The schedule is getting close to being finalized and as of now the bonus race is scheduled at HPT next year ( I don't see this changing)

mustanghammer
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Yep - the Bonus Race is at HPT - Labor Day weekend. It will be a featured part of a Double Regional event.

This is the first time the Bonus race has ever been held at HPT.

mustanghammer
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
[quote=brprok81;275927]I am hoping to have a discussion between the road race committee and the PDX committee about having a joint venture next year.

I have a question about your PDX program. Are these being run only as non-competition schools are has your PDX Committee put on competitive time trial events as well?

KVRG has been putting on non-competition PDX events for a very long time. They have not taken advantage of the new Time Trials rules and I was wondering if you guys have.

tnord
10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
i have mixed feelings about HPT. i love it because it's a 1.5hr tow from my house, and suits a miata MUCH better than Gateway does.

but i hate it because ed ozment doesn't have a clue, and there is 5x more concrete there than there needs to be. and it's unprotected concrete at that. if i trashed the next car i would truly quit racing and take up golf.

is there any way i could see the tentative schedule?

Speed Raycer
10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I have a question about your PDX program. Are these being run only as non-competition schools are has your PDX Committee put on competitive time trial events as well?

KVRG has been putting on non-competition PDX events for a very long time. They have not taken advantage of the new Time Trials rules and I was wondering if you guys have.

STL hasn't had any timed PDX events for the last 2(?) seasons. The first year of the PDX program we had one during the October double regional. IIRC it went pretty well.

stlpdx.com for Chuck & Jans contact info

mustanghammer
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
i have mixed feelings about HPT. i love it because it's a 1.5hr tow from my house, and suits a miata MUCH better than Gateway does.

but i hate it because ed ozment doesn't have a clue, and there is 5x more concrete there than there needs to be. and it's unprotected concrete at that. if i trashed the next car i would truly quit racing and take up golf.

is there any way i could see the tentative schedule?

Per Billy3 this is on the final schedule

Having just raced at a track with allot of unprotected concrete and lived to tell the tale.....I guess I don't have an answer for you.

If it makes you feel better the Labor Day event is the only time IT cars will get to race at HPT next year. The other event is a Double Natioal (first weekend in May).

mustanghammer
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
STL hasn't had any timed PDX events for the last 2(?) seasons. The first year of the PDX program we had one during the October double regional. IIRC it went pretty well.

stlpdx.com for Chuck & Jans contact info

Cool! Thanks for the information

tnord
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Having just raced at a track with allot of unprotected concrete and lived to tell the tale.....I guess I don't have an answer for you.

If it makes you feel better the Labor Day event is the only time IT cars will get to race at HPT next year. The other event is a Double Natioal (first weekend in May).

i've ran Gateway twice, and HPT maybe eight weekends and haven't had contact with a wall either. but i'd much rather not run at these types of places if i can avoid it. if i didn't run HPT even once in 2009 i wouldn't be much disappointed.

buldogge
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey Travis... Don't forget, you need to run GIR at least once next year to show us those 1:09's!!!

i've ran Gateway twice, and HPT maybe eight weekends and haven't had contact with a wall either. but i'd much rather not run at these types of places if i can avoid it. if i didn't run HPT even once in 2009 i wouldn't be much disappointed.