PDA

View Full Version : Greatest towing window idea

iagreen
09-13-2008, 02:19 PM
There was a towing window thread on here long ago, and I tried a few of the ideas and was never really happy with any of them. I had the plastic window but it always needed some tape to keep it in place and if i towed more than a few hours it started coming loose and I always ended up taking it out (which would then cause it to rain).

So in prep for moving the car cross-country I was thinking of how to just use the glass window. And it was rediculously easy and worked awesome! It made the 2500+ mile tow from Ohio to Oregon without a hitch. This may not be as easy for non-CRXen but could be a start.

The bottom of the window has threaded inserts for the window regulator. I wanted to put bolts through the door panel to hold it up by those inserts.

I used the door stop trick from a earlier idea to keep the window against the seal.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/iagreen99/CRX%20window/DSC01246.jpg

I only had to drill one hole as the forward hole was already there for a plastic clip.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/iagreen99/CRX%20window/DSC01248.jpg

The rear hole was through a double layer panel, but a uni-bit made quick work of that.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/iagreen99/CRX%20window/DSC01249.jpg

I then threaded in two M6 fastners (yes they are too long, don't laugh at the washers, I thought I might need them) till the threads bottomed out.

That's it! There, now I've given back to the community. :p

wcmcarlos
09-13-2008, 03:06 PM
You get the " GOOD THINKER'S AWARD "
Since my car was underweight, I just left all the door stuff in place, and wound the window up and locked the door.
CM

Greg Gauper
09-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I use something similar, in that I use the rubber door stops to hold a plexiglass window in place, but then I secure the window with a 2"x1" strip of wood about 18-24" long. The wood rests on the window ledge on the inside and has a rabit on one edge that fits between the window and the ledge. I use thumb screws with large washers to go thru the window and into the wooden strip. The wooden strip has threaded inserts so I don't have to fumble around looking for nuts. Everything goes together by hand.

Basically the rubber door stops just hold everything in place until I can can secure the strip of wood. You could omit them, but then you need another set of hands to tighten everything up.

Eagle7
09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Mine was inspired by Greg's. I used some thick plexiglass (or lexan, not sure), heated it with a torch and formed it to the shape of the stock window. Drilled several holes on a horizontal line a couple inches above the bottom of the opening. Long bolts are permanently mounted through the holes with washers & nuts, with open threads facing outward. The window slips into the factory track and the bolts give me something to pull it up tightly into the weatherstripping. Then a 2x4 slips over the bolts, resting on the door, locking the window into position. Wing nuts hold the 2x4 on.

Since I can't open my door when the car's on the trailer it's important that the window is installed and removed from the outside with the door closed.