PDA

View Full Version : CIS vs. Digifant

nsuracer
09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a 87 A2 GTI. For you in the Southeast it is Mike Reids old car. It currently has CIS with no electronics. It appears to be well developed and has caused me no problems. I am considering changing it over to Digifant with a Mega Squirt ECU. From you all that have a lot of Vdub experience, what are the pros and cons? Is this a good idea or should I stick with what I have?

racer_tim
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Alex, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Lael Cleland
09-12-2008, 12:31 AM
steep learning curve and dyno time might be a draw back. the good thing with mega squert is no vw computer, I have a bunch of BAD digi computers......only if you could run it like a honda and no air flow meter...

shwah
09-12-2008, 09:11 AM
I have considered this as well. Thing is that my CIS-E setup is giving me good results (for our motor). I am still thinking about it for a few reasons:

1. I don't KNOW whether there will be any gains, but I know it will have a broader operating window (now run fixxed timing and 'switch' type fuel enrichment).
2. Old Bosch system replacement parts are $$$ and hard to find, but an electronic system uses somewhat current technology.
3. The air meter/airbox assy on the digi car weighs 5# less than the CIS-E air meter/airbox assy, and sits right over one of the front tires.

The thing that stopped me from doing this sooner was the first reply to your question - what I had was working well. But at the end of the day, if I don't explore what this can do, I can't convince myself that I have a truely 100% motor...

nsuracer
09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all your input. After looking at the size of the Air Flow Meter, I am wondering what adcantage, the electronic system will be. If it was legal to eliminate it (its not) then I think it might be a no brainer. I am just trying to coax a little more speed out of the car and maybe keep Albin in sight.