PDA

View Full Version : Intro from new member & E30 thoughts

gottagofast13
09-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I just found this forum and joined today. Short background on me: I've been doing DEs for the past 7 years, instructing for 5 years, and I just became Chief Instructor for the Kansas City BMW Club. About 2 years ago I bought a "built" E30 325i from a BMW Club racer in California. The car has been an absolute nightmare: found out it had a warped head/cam, had to replace driveshaft, diff, all calipers, shocks, etc. The suspension, brakes, and diff are sorted, but my rebuilt engine only lasted 4 races. I'm currently using a 1987 junkyard engine that apparently had a head rebuild ~5 years ago. I've been competitive and won a few races when the car was running, but since I put the latest junkyard engine in I've been finishing 2nd/3rd.

If you don't mind, please post a short intro and tell me about yourself.

Just out of curiousity, what are your guys thoughts about the E30 being competitive in ITS? I've done fairly well so far, but I'm having a really tough time keeping up with an E36 and a Gen2 RX7. The E36 pulls 10+ car lengths and the Gen2 RX7 pulls at least 8 car lengths on ~2000' straights. Do you guys think this is just a function of a tired/old motor in my car, or is the E30 just not a competitive car in this class? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Z3_GoCar
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Let me be the first to say "Welcome"Sorry to hear about your issues with the used race car. That's the down side to buying someone elses car and not build it your self. Sound to me you need a blueprint of your current motor. I've seen video of an ITS E30 beating up on an ITR Z3. Josh, would you care to share the link.James

JLawton
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems. It can get discouraging sometimes!!

This is coming from a non BMW racer and non ITS racer, but race in a very competitive region.

I think the E30 is going to have a tough time when there's good competition. In the Northeast and Southeast the E36s and RX7s are well developed and well driven.

It's tough being married to a certain manufacturer or model. It can be hard to walk away but if the E30 is going to take a ton of money to prep to 10/10ths................. I know the feeling, I was a Porsche guy for years but got tired of spending way too much money to get my butt kicked. Now I have a much less expensive car that does very well and is a blast to drive (although I get laughed at all the time: "You race a WHAT????") :)

Hope I'm not sounding too negative, but having "been there, done that" I thought I would share my thoughts.....

(Oh, and I also have an E36 M3 as a daily driver!!)

Good luck!!

ScottL
09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I'd like to springboard off that introduction by welcoming you and introducing myself! I'm also an E30 driver aiming for ITS.

I started out as a flagger and pit worker for SCCA. Did that for a few seasons until I bought an '87 325is two years ago. The car was in worse shape than I thought but I managed to fix all the high-priority items and get out on the track. I now have about 24 track days with BMWCCA, NASA, SCCA, and Chin at various tracks on the East Coast. I was running essentially a stock 325is with H&R race springs and Bilstein Sports.

The seemingly bullet proof engine had about 180K on the clock when I removed the instrument cluster. This thing just doesn't stop. Woody Hair was my first instructor and I still remember him telling me I was shifting too early. "These things love to rev." That was my first time on track and the car was *ahem* not quite ready. It was leaking gas around the transfer pump. Wires were hanging everywhere. The suspension was mushy. The highlight came when the guibo exploded at 90mph just before the braking zone into turn 1. :smilie_pokal: What a weekend that was.

Anyway, the original goal was to run NASA Spec E30. For various reasons, I switched to ITS. Everybody I spoke to said that the E30 would not be competitive in that class but I decided to do it anyway. I still have a lot to learn in terms of driving skill and racecraft, so the primary goal is to get seat time in a competition environment. I'm not going to be a front runner any time soon.

This year, the car has morphed into a real race car. Cage, seats, harnesses, R-comps, etc. I'm preparing to have an SCCA tech inspection done in a couple of weeks so I can get the log book in time for my first SCCA comp school in October. I still have some work to do over the winter. The rear end needs to come out for an overhaul and I hope to start building a new engine.

The fact that I found other E30 (and BMW) people at the track is a huge bonus. Marshall Lytle and Chad DeHaven gave me some great pointers at the last MARRS event at Summit Point. I hope to be there in the paddock with the rest of the IT crew next season!

gottagofast13
09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Let me be the first to say "Welcome"Sorry to hear about your issues with the used race car. That's the down side to buying someone elses car and not build it your self. Sound to me you need a blueprint of your current motor. I've seen video of an ITS E30 beating up on an ITR Z3. Josh, would you care to share the link.James

Thanks for the welcome. Going into this hobby, I had a lot of people tell me that buying a used racecar is the way to go...benefit from the thousands of dollars someone else will lose.

After this experience, I'm a believer in building your car yourself. The one exception I can see is buying a car from someone you know well that you know has taken care of the car.

While my rebuilt motor was running (1st year of racing), I won every race that I completed (one mechanical and one 3#s light).

At that point the motor felt pretty strong but the suspension needed a lot of work. I didn't get the suspension sorted until after the engine died, so I've never had both at the same time...I'm thinking it can be competitive but I've never had everything working at the same time to prove this. I have 1 win with the junker motor and a whole bunch of 2nd/3rds.

I know my engine is really tired, but I just don't know if a rebuilt engine will make up the 10+ car length differential (on straights) that I'm seeing against an E36 competitor. I'm faster in the turns, but not that much faster. I'll post some video from my most recent race once I can get it uploaded to Fototime.

JoshS
09-09-2008, 06:29 PM

Here you go, from labor day weekend:
http://www.godoggoracing.org/v/Videos/2008/Infineon-080901.wmv.html

I recommend watching all the way to the end, the finish is quite dramatic! The video is edited down to 21 minutes, it was too dramatic to cut anything else.

This video is shot from my ITR car -- still original stock engine, but otherwise a pretty good car, maybe some suspension tweaks left to go, it's still pushy in slow turns, and of course some power left to be had in engine internals.

I'm easily the fastest in ITR, but our local (San Francisco Region) ITS class is DOMINATED by Doug Makishima's E30 325i, and he and I race very close, and this race was just one example of some really fun races I've had with him. Hard to believe it's "only" an ITS car sometimes. He owns some of our ITS track records, and is very close on the others. And he also still has a lot of room left in car improvements, mostly in suspension for him (as you'll see from the video.)

gottagofast13
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems. It can get discouraging sometimes!!

This is coming from a non BMW racer and non ITS racer, but race in a very competitive region.

I think the E30 is going to have a tough time when there's good competition. In the Northeast and Southeast the E36s and RX7s are well developed and well driven.

It's tough being married to a certain manufacturer or model. It can be hard to walk away but if the E30 is going to take a ton of money to prep to 10/10ths................. I know the feeling, I was a Porsche guy for years but got tired of spending way too much money to get my butt kicked. Now I have a much less expensive car that does very well and is a blast to drive (although I get laughed at all the time: "You race a WHAT????") :)

Hope I'm not sounding too negative, but having "been there, done that" I thought I would share my thoughts.....

(Oh, and I also have an E36 M3 as a daily driver!!)

Good luck!!

For a while I was stuck to BMWs, but I've considered many times recently moving to Mazda...it's tough to beat the support they provide. In the classifieds I saw an EP RX7 that sounds appealing.

lateapex911
09-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Welcome!

I've been reading a lot on the E30s lately. I seem to recall reading about one in the south that either hounded or beat Kip VanSteenberg in his ITS car, which is no mean feat. he's good. Really good. if prepped right, I think they can really do well.

Also, I'd think twice, maybe three times before buying a Prepared car. They are even more work, and more expense, and the competition is not nearly as deep in many parts of the country. I'm a bit biased, but I think the guys who run IT do a better job with the category than the guys who run Prod.

No matter what, do some serious digging around before switching cars/categories.

mlytle
09-10-2008, 12:03 AM
welcome to ITS! i am a recovering E30 ITS racer now driving an E36 in ITR. you seem to have acquired a lemon. the E30 325 is a pretty bullet proof car. I bought mine fully built with two years of racing on it. i drove it for the first two years i raced and had no problems at all. It was a blast to drive. the person i sold it to 5 years ago is still racing it, essentially unchanged. great cars if you build them right. in IT trim the engine is barely stressed. before the unrestricted E36 arrived on the scene, the E30 was the car to beat in the mid-atlantic region. a well sorted one will still be competitive. we have 4-5 of them racing in ITS in the DC region with Scott bringing a new one to the game next season.

marshall
MARRS ITR #64

gottagofast13
09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
welcome to ITS! i am a recovering E30 ITS racer now driving an E36 in ITR. you seem to have acquired a lemon. the E30 325 is a pretty bullet proof car. I bought mine fully built with two years of racing on it. i drove it for the first two years i raced and had no problems at all. It was a blast to drive. the person i sold it to 5 years ago is still racing it, essentially unchanged. great cars if you build them right. in IT trim the engine is barely stressed. before the unrestricted E36 arrived on the scene, the E30 was the car to beat in the mid-atlantic region. a well sorted one will still be competitive. we have 4-5 of them racing in ITS in the DC region with Scott bringing a new one to the game next season.

marshall
MARRS ITR #64

Thanks for the input Marshall. Now that the car is developed (except the engine), I have no doubt that it can be competitive in braking/handling. The one area of question for me is straight-line speed. After watching JoshS video and input from you guys, I think it has the potential once I do decide to rebuild.

A pro-racer friend of mine told me before I got into racing to start with an underdeveloped (low on power) car to force myself to develop my racecraft. At this point I've finished 2nd about 5 times where I could've won with more power. If I can develop my skills enough to win with this junker motor, I hope to be really competitive outside my region.

It's good hearing comments from Marshall, JoshS, and others that have seen the E30 can be competitive in ITS.

gottagofast13
09-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Here you go, from labor day weekend:
http://www.godoggoracing.org/v/Videos/2008/Infineon-080901.wmv.html

I recommend watching all the way to the end, the finish is quite dramatic! The video is edited down to 21 minutes, it was too dramatic to cut anything else.

This video is shot from my ITR car -- still original stock engine, but otherwise a pretty good car, maybe some suspension tweaks left to go, it's still pushy in slow turns, and of course some power left to be had in engine internals.

I'm easily the fastest in ITR, but our local (San Francisco Region) ITS class is DOMINATED by Doug Makishima's E30 325i, and he and I race very close, and this race was just one example of some really fun races I've had with him. Hard to believe it's "only" an ITS car sometimes. He owns some of our ITS track records, and is very close on the others. And he also still has a lot of room left in car improvements, mostly in suspension for him (as you'll see from the video.)

Great video...that was quite a battle. Here's a 2nd place finish for me where I just couldn't quite close the deal: http://www.fototime.com/3E3486DC440E925/conv.wmv (the battle really starts around the 8:00 mark)

Even without power (fresh engine), I think I should be able to pull of a win in this type of situation.

gottagofast13
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome!

I've been reading a lot on the E30s lately. I seem to recall reading about one in the south that either hounded or beat Kip VanSteenberg in his ITS car, which is no mean feat. he's good. Really good. if prepped right, I think they can really do well.

Also, I'd think twice, maybe three times before buying a Prepared car. They are even more work, and more expense, and the competition is not nearly as deep in many parts of the country. I'm a bit biased, but I think the guys who run IT do a better job with the category than the guys who run Prod.

No matter what, do some serious digging around before switching cars/categories.

I really appreciate the input. The only reason I'd really consider Production is to race a national class. Although I have moments where I consider going to something like Production, I do think that IT is a great place to race economically and develop myself.

Speed Raycer
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Josh, good video. You may want to re-introduce Doug to GCR 6.8.1.C & D as there were a few "suspect line changes" that seemed pretty blatent. Could have sworn there was something in the GCR limiting the amount of "defensive moves" but couldn't find anything in the quick search

JoshS
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Josh, good video. You may want to re-introduce Doug to GCR 6.8.1.C & D as there were a few "suspect line changes" that seemed pretty blatent. Could have sworn there was something in the GCR limiting the amount of "defensive moves" but couldn't find anything in the quick search
Huh. I re-read those sections and you're technically right, but frankly, I don't think he did anything wrong. I probably would have done exactly the same things. We're racing after all, he's supposed to make it sort of hard to pass ... right? It certainly made it more fun for me.

Z3_GoCar
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Josh,

If you want a second crack at Infineon (I'd rather call it Sears Point but....) you should check out the fall vintage festival with BMW club. I'm sure you could talk your way out of the sticker requirement for just one or two races.

http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2008/Vintage/08vintageinfo.pdf

I think Tom Bell could use the company.

James

Speed Raycer
09-10-2008, 04:19 PM
We're racing after all, he's supposed to make it sort of hard to pass ... right? It certainly made it more fun for me.
Agreed.... you were in the heat of battle... a couple of them just jumped out at me especially on that back straight when you had a run on him, he shut the door, then you switched back to the inside and he changed his line & came back over to block

Back on topic ;)

chuck baader
09-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Welcome to E30 madness. Glad you are getting your car sorted. I think, for ITS, the car will be horsepower limited, but with the lower weight can still be quite competitive. Chuck

gottagofast13
09-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Welcome to E30 madness. Glad you are getting your car sorted. I think, for ITS, the car will be horsepower limited, but with the lower weight can still be quite competitive. Chuck

I heard some rumors that the E30 was going to get some help, but I didn't hear of any specifics.

Do you guys know anything? Are they considering dropping weight at all? It's been a while, but when I looked in the past I thought E30s seemed to be low on the hp/weight ratio compared to some of our competitors.

lateapex911
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I heard some rumors that the E30 was going to get some help, but I didn't hear of any specifics.

Do you guys know anything? Are they considering dropping weight at all? It's been a while, but when I looked in the past I thought E30s seemed to be low on the hp/weight ratio compared to some of our competitors.

Oh, do tell! :) Where did you hear such rumours?

Just to be open, i'm on the ITAC...there has been no such request, nor do i recall any discussion.

And, for what it's worth, cars are classed in IT with assumed gains. There is a process, but the aim is stability and repeatability, not getting the weight to the exact pound. So, some cars might make a tad more, or less than assumed power, or handle better or worse, or brake better...or worse.

it's the competitors job to cull the list and do his homework.

That's not to say that there aren't some cars out there that couldn't stand some corrections...the list has been around since 84, so a letter requesting the process being run is on order if something seems totally out of whack.

gottagofast13
09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Oh, do tell! :) Where did you hear such rumours?

Just to be open, i'm on the ITAC...there has been no such request, nor do i recall any discussion.

And, for what it's worth, cars are classed in IT with assumed gains. There is a process, but the aim is stability and repeatability, not getting the weight to the exact pound. So, some cars might make a tad more, or less than assumed power, or handle better or worse, or brake better...or worse.

it's the competitors job to cull the list and do his homework.

That's not to say that there aren't some cars out there that couldn't stand some corrections...the list has been around since 84, so a letter requesting the process being run is on order if something seems totally out of whack.

The "rumor" I heard was on another forum and directed me to this forum to find more information. After picking through many sections on this forum, I haven't found anything.

My "old" engine has some miles on it and a not-so-fresh head, but the compression numbers are pretty decent. This video is what makes me think the E30 needs a little weight drop to have a fair chance against the E36s and Gen2 RX7s (watch the E36 pull me when I have a lot of momentum on him at the 4:00 mark): http://www.fototime.com/95D6120A48491F7/conv.wmv

The E36 did have a suspension issue that day, or it wouldn't have been so easy to get by him. The RX7 kept getting lost at T8 which made him easy to catch. I really don't think the E30 has a handling advantage over either of these cars, but it seems to have a serious power disadvantage. I guess the final possibility is that my engine is more tired than I thought.

JLawton
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
My "old" engine has some miles on it and a not-so-fresh head, but the compression numbers are pretty decent. This video is what makes me think the E30 needs a little weight drop to have a fair chance against the E36s and Gen2 RX7s (watch the E36 pull me when I have a lot of momentum on him at the 4:00 mark): http://www.fototime.com/95D6120A48491F7/conv.wmv

I would think it would be difficult to determine that the E30 needs a weight break based on a well traveled engine. :shrug:

gottagofast13
09-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I would think it would be difficult to determine that the E30 needs a weight break based on a well traveled engine. :shrug:

I definitely agree.

I'm hoping an E30 racer will post some video showing how their legal engine can keep up with E36s and RX7s on the straights. I do believe the E30 can keep up with these cars in braking/turning, I just want to confirm that you can legally match the straight line speed of our competitors.

lateapex911
09-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Well, not to belabor the point, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but....

When it comes to classing cars, IF the ITAC were to consider a weight drop on a car, it simply can NOT use one example. Things that are unknown include:

Your engine: Did you sort though hundreds of con rods from the factory to find the lightest one? Then match yours to the lightest found? Pistons and every other moving part? Are the transmission and rear gear adjusted, aligned and lubricated with the lowest drag in mind? How about the exhaust system? Off the shelf stuff or custom designed through days on the dyno? And the ECU tune...same thing, how much dyno time. Ports matched? How many heads were flowed to find the best one? Same for intakes. Running gear...is it light? And on and on. These are the things that the top guys do.

now, about the E36...is it legal? is it a 10/10ths build?

These are things that we have no way to really know...and it gets very tricky to start making conclusions. And the cars are just the tip of the iceberg. Then we have to factor in the drivers, the track, the weather conditions. Even when most of those things are knowns, results and lap times are often inconsistent, with no known explanation other than, "hmm, track was slow that day"..

Even if hp numbers are submitted, those need to be taken with a few grains of salt as well. Different dynos generate different numbers, even if the car is the same.

Simply put, if the numbers generated by the process match the weight listed, it would take a serious mountain of evidence to even open a discussion on a weight change.

Now, it the process spits out a number that does NOT match what's in the book, well that's a different story.

Finally, it's not JUST about horsepower and straight line speed. It is expected that some cars will get spanked at certain tracks, while others will reverse the tide at different tracks. And the way the car is built (weight and distribution) the suspension, the dampers, and the elusive setup all play a huge role. Taken individually, it seems that each of those things isn't the difference, but collectively, they add up. It is expected that to win cars have every nut and bolt adjusted and tweaked. And they are driven brilliantly.

Don't take this the wrong way.... I'm not trying to discourage you, or be a jerk, i just want to shed light on how the system works. if you feel the weight listed is wrong, prepare a case and ask the CRB to have the ITAC run the process on the car.

gottagofast13
09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, not to belabor the point, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but....

When it comes to classing cars, IF the ITAC were to consider a weight drop on a car, it simply can NOT use one example. Things that are unknown include:

Your engine: Did you sort though hundreds of con rods from the factory to find the lightest one? Then match yours to the lightest found? Pistons and every other moving part? Are the transmission and rear gear adjusted, aligned and lubricated with the lowest drag in mind? How about the exhaust system? Off the shelf stuff or custom designed through days on the dyno? And the ECU tune...same thing, how much dyno time. Ports matched? How many heads were flowed to find the best one? Same for intakes. Running gear...is it light? And on and on. These are the things that the top guys do.

now, about the E36...is it legal? is it a 10/10ths build?

These are things that we have no way to really know...and it gets very tricky to start making conclusions. And the cars are just the tip of the iceberg. Then we have to factor in the drivers, the track, the weather conditions. Even when most of those things are knowns, results and lap times are often inconsistent, with no known explanation other than, "hmm, track was slow that day"..

Even if hp numbers are submitted, those need to be taken with a few grains of salt as well. Different dynos generate different numbers, even if the car is the same.

Simply put, if the numbers generated by the process match the weight listed, it would take a serious mountain of evidence to even open a discussion on a weight change.

Now, it the process spits out a number that does NOT match what's in the book, well that's a different story.

Finally, it's not JUST about horsepower and straight line speed. It is expected that some cars will get spanked at certain tracks, while others will reverse the tide at different tracks. And the way the car is built (weight and distribution) the suspension, the dampers, and the elusive setup all play a huge role. Taken individually, it seems that each of those things isn't the difference, but collectively, they add up. It is expected that to win cars have every nut and bolt adjusted and tweaked. And they are driven brilliantly.

Don't take this the wrong way.... I'm not trying to discourage you, or be a jerk, i just want to shed light on how the system works. if you feel the weight listed is wrong, prepare a case and ask the CRB to have the ITAC run the process on the car.

I must not have been clear, but in no way am I trying to say that the rules are unfair for the E30. The questions I'm asking are out of curiousity rather than questioning the system (SCCA).

To answer your question about how my engine was developed - I had bearing and crank damage on my built engine and called some friends looking for a cheap engine. I found this one with unknown mileage that apparently had a head rebuild within the last 5 years and threw it in the racecar. Unfortunately I only made it to 2 races with my built engine before serious problems set in. So, I have no real experience racing with a built engine in my class.

Whether it's the rules, how far people develop them, or the drivers driving them, it seems that some cars are more competitive than others in certain classes. I would hate to throw a lot of money into a new engine just to find out that it has no chance of being competitive.

I'll certainly keep racing this car for another year to further develop my racecraft, but I'm trying to figure out if this car has the potential to be competitive with a real engine. In other words, long-term does it make sense for me to invest more in this car? From some of the input received in this thread, I'd say it does seem like a built E30 can be competitive. The E30 battle with the Z3 at Infineon looked good, and I thought someone mentioned an E30 being competitive in the SE as well.

My most recent race (video I posted) was just really frustrating and made me wonder if I was taking a knife to a gun fight - competitors pulling 10 car lengths on a straight. I had a feeling that I'm just running a really weak engine, but I think the input I've seen here shows that I DO need a new engine in a bad way.

JoshS
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
My most recent race (video I posted) was just really frustrating and made me wonder if I was taking a knife to a gun fight - competitors pulling 10 car lengths on a straight. I had a feeling that I'm just running a really weak engine, but I think the input I've seen here shows that I DO need a new engine in a bad way.
With all due respect ... the fact that the three of you (you, the RX-7, and the E36) weren't able to blow away the Miatas in the field says that you are all not fully prepared (whether its engines, drivers, or other equipment).

I'll also say that since I could hear that RX-7s engine above yours, you are definitely overmuffled. Your engine just doesn't SOUND fast. Take a listen to the in-car from Doug's E30 (same race as the race I posted above, just from his camera). His engine and mine sound almost the same, but yours sounds, just, weaker.

But in the example where you say the guy pulled you by 10 car lengths, it was all about exit speed onto the straight. You were much tighter and on the gas later than he was, and probably from a lower starting speed. I don't think you're down on power compared to those guys, you just have to get on the gas a lot sooner than you are. On the very next lap you're able to keep up with that RX-7 just fine.

http://www.new.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=34449499179

buldogge
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
That's my E36 in the video...the car is 100% legal... The motor is a Stickley unit with custom tuning (but stock DME)....BUT (and I don't want to make matters worse for you Ryan)...I'm running with 2 scored cylinders and we are down ~20hp. A junkyard motor is not going to hang with my motor, you're gonna need to build something nice.

As far as the suspension...I took a bad hit from my departed competitor Bill Denton earlier this year @ Memphis and am running a bent FR strut...we massaged it a bit and compensated adjustments for the camber... Unfortunately, none of that was the issue...pure genius did us in...my crew guy left an extra SSR centering ring on the FR hub...the FR wheel was about to leave the car...so it was a good thing for the double yellow (unfortunately it cost us the championship) when we pulled into tech all 5 of the lugs were loose...3 were sitting on the last threads of the studs! :o

We're coming with a fresh motor and new suspension in '09...fair warning. :)

SLUF
09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
You have a great platform to work with from my unbiased opinion of this one video. Build a proper motor for sure and that will certainly be another weapon in your arsenal for this E30. I do not think it would be a waste of money either. Your car appears to be a serious competitor for that particular RX-7 and E36 in this part of the country. Mark and Bill are no slouches behind the wheel or in their car prep. (Except at Memphis in the wet!)

(FYI: That E36's "handling" problem turned out to be a loose wheel that race.)

gottagofast13
09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
That's my E36 in the video...the car is 100% legal... The motor is a Stickley unit with custom tuning (but stock DME)....BUT (and I don't want to make matters worse for you Ryan)...I'm running with 2 scored cylinders and we are down ~20hp. A junkyard motor is not going to hang with my motor, you're gonna need to build something nice.

As far as the suspension...I took a bad hit from my departed competitor Bill Denton earlier this year @ Memphis and am running a bent FR strut...we massaged it a bit and compensated adjustments for the camber... Unfortunately, none of that was the issue...pure genius did us in...my crew guy left an extra SSR centering ring on the FR hub...the FR wheel was about to leave the car...so it was a good thing for the double yellow (unfortunately it cost us the championship) when we pulled into tech all 5 of the lugs were loose...3 were sitting on the last threads of the studs! :o

We're coming with a fresh motor and new suspension in '09...fair warning. :)

Mark - I was hoping that you'd say this is the best your engine has ever run. If you're down 20 hp then it looks like I have a long way to go to hang with you when your car is running properly.

gottagofast13
09-15-2008, 06:55 PM
With all due respect ... the fact that the three of you (you, the RX-7, and the E36) weren't able to blow away the Miatas in the field says that you are all not fully prepared (whether its engines, drivers, or other equipment).

I'll also say that since I could hear that RX-7s engine above yours, you are definitely overmuffled. Your engine just doesn't SOUND fast. Take a listen to the in-car from Doug's E30 (same race as the race I posted above, just from his camera). His engine and mine sound almost the same, but yours sounds, just, weaker.

But in the example where you say the guy pulled you by 10 car lengths, it was all about exit speed onto the straight. You were much tighter and on the gas later than he was, and probably from a lower starting speed. I don't think you're down on power compared to those guys, you just have to get on the gas a lot sooner than you are. On the very next lap you're able to keep up with that RX-7 just fine.

http://www.new.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=34449499179

The exhaust and engine definitely need some attention.