PDA

View Full Version : 87 VW Golf 16v

jmracer17
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
any one had this problem,
will run for a couple laps then wont go over 4000 rpm. car has new coil, both fuel pumps are new, fuel filter is new. we tried a used ignition module. by the end of the weekend the car was able to almost make all of a 25 min session. car has been sitting since 97. any ideas on what it could be? :shrug:
James

shwah
09-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I think it's fuel. Is the screen filter still in place up at the fuel distributor? Otherwise just gummed up fuel distributor.

Flyinglizard
09-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Check the timing @ 4000. Make sure that it doesnt go above 32. The stock knock sensor system often lets it go a lot higher and the car slows down on a long pull. I have the knock vac hose unplugged and it runs better. Maybe my knocker pick up is no good. HAHA.
Otherwise, pull the injectors and do a balance test, into 4 big syringes, (outside),turn the pumps on, pull the pancake up and watch the patterns and volume. A shitty injector usually has a poor idle and a stumble at tip in, up to a higher RPM.
It is most likely a fuel issue, as prior stated.
Park it next to known good unit and check that cars' flow for reference, .
If you need, run a test for 30 sec for volume. I can run one of my cars for the same test. MM

jmracer17
09-06-2008, 09:31 AM
thanks will try this out.
james

Streetwise guy
09-07-2008, 11:27 AM
The "sitting since 97" says to me, pull the fuel pickup out of the tank, or better yet drop the tank and have it cleaned. You are most likely sucking up junk onto the screen of the pickup and gradually losing fuel flow. When you shut down, suction stops, crap falls off, you race again.

jmracer17
09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
we did pull the tank and clean it.. a big pain, lol.. will check the screen though. thanks
james