PDA

View Full Version : NASA Honda Challenge Cars invited to Daytona with CFR-SCCA

CFR RaceBoard
08-30-2008, 06:51 PM
H1 thru H5 class cars are invited to participate with Central Florida Region, SCCA at it’s regional event, September 27-28, 2008 at Daytona International Speedway.

Run your Honda Challenge car, under NASA prep rules, with a valid NASA or SCCA competition license and SCCA membership. Not an SCCA member??? Not a problem, sign up for temporary membership, at the track, for the race weekend for a cost of $15.

Register online at dlbracing dot com, or select the link at cfrscca dot org. Need help with online registration?? See the FAQ and Guide to Online Registation at cfrscca dot org. Questions?? Post them here for answer or email rlan107@aol OR CFRREG2@aol

Xian
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I went ahead and posted this same info over on NASAForums here (http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23786)

I'm fairly local and would be willing to help show any NASA noobs around. :)

Christian

edit:
Looking at the supp's this looks like a triple race weekend :)

tom91ita
08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
let us know how the post at nasa goes.

mine for the IT fest was not well received:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22584

and i will stand by the fact that racing with 20 cars is better than by yourself.

Cobrar05
08-31-2008, 01:19 AM
I'll say this straight up front. I support both SCCA and NASA, but this cranks my tractor!

I worked very hard to get SEDiv to make ITO a divisional class so that NASA American Iron cars could take part in SARRC/SCCA SEDiv regional races. It is approved and I organize numerous Atlanta and NC based AI drivers to put the August Daytona SARRC on their schedules, only to find out that CFR is not allowing ITO in any of their races.

Now from reading DLBRACING.com I see that NASA Honda Challenge Cars with NASA prep are invited while my American Iron cars with the same NASA prep remain excluded.

This is confusing and annoying to say the least.

Cobrar05
08-31-2008, 01:24 AM

and i will stand by the fact that racing with 20 cars is better than by yourself.

I would not worry about that response. Its going to happen. There is an angry rivalry that is not going to disappear with the wave of a rule change pen.

I race both and support both. I just dont expect everyone to be with the program from the start with the change in license recognition.

Its my opinion that serious NASA nationals competitors from out of the area should consider running Todd's IT fest, then staying to run the NASA weekend the next week.

Ron Earp
08-31-2008, 06:46 AM
It is approved and I organize numerous Atlanta and NC based AI drivers to put the August Daytona SARRC on their schedules, only to find out that CFR is not allowing ITO in any of their races

Is ITO adopted in the Caroilinas? I was thinking it wasn't, that ITE was still used.

Ron

Xian
08-31-2008, 10:12 AM

Ummm... yeah. That turned into a shit storm pretty quickly. I figured that I may get some backlash... we'll see. Also, I don't think that NASA runs Daytona at all, do they? One of the other cool things about this offer is that SCCA is offering to let HC prep cars run at their regular prep level in IT... not sure ho that will sit with any "legal" It folks who finish behind them. :Shrug: I guess the answer is to drive faster :smilie_pokal:

I also posted this same info over at Honda-Tech.com and RoadraceAutoX.com. So far the only responses have been "I wish I could make it but have other obligations" or "I'm too far away to go but would love to!". Hopefully it'll stay positive... we'll see!

edit:
Looking at the supp's, the HC cars will run in their respective HC class but within the run group that has the similar IT classes...

seckerich
08-31-2008, 10:38 AM
I'll say this straight up front. I support both SCCA and NASA, but this cranks my tractor!

I worked very hard to get SEDiv to make ITO a divisional class so that NASA American Iron cars could take part in SARRC/SCCA SEDiv regional races. It is approved and I organize numerous Atlanta and NC based AI drivers to put the August Daytona SARRC on their schedules, only to find out that CFR is not allowing ITO in any of their races.

Now from reading DLBRACING.com I see that NASA Honda Challenge Cars with NASA prep are invited while my American Iron cars with the same NASA prep remain excluded.

This is confusing and annoying to say the least.

I think you will see that change for 09 Jerry. Big problem with ITO at the big tracks Florida runs was the lack of proper cage. I am pretty sure we approved ITO to run next year if the cage has the optional forward braces to the firewall. No crush protection and 160+ was not a risk many regions were willing to take. If your cage has 8 points you might contact them and get to run.

Cobrar05
08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Is ITO adopted in the Caroilinas? I was thinking it wasn't, that ITE was still used.

Ron

ITO has run in every SEDiv region. I've run at VIR and Road Atlanta. If you look at the entry page for the 13 hour ITO is on the list.

Additionally, my '95 Cobra R former T1 car is now legal for AS as opposed to the rest of my AI friends. I can run at Daytona. However, that is with the T1 cage rules. There is no requirement for the a-pillar bar to firewall optional that you refer to.

I don't know that I understand why its safe for me to race at VIR and Road Atlanta and not at Sebring.

On the otherhand, if things have been worked out, I look forward to running more CFR events in '09 and thank you

Butch Kummer
09-02-2008, 07:39 AM
I don't know that I understand why its safe for me to race at VIR and Road Atlanta and not at Sebring.

On the otherhand, if things have been worked out, I look forward to running more CFR events in '09 and thank you

Having pulled multiple cars out of the tire wall (and concrete barrier) at Sunset bend, CFR was/is very concerned about cars with no forward roll bar braces running 150+ into that area. At Daytona the cars are going even faster, and they HAVE wadded up a few there as well. Neither Road Atlanta nor VIR have walls that close (and perpendicular) to the track where cars can achieve that speed.

And yes, CFR has agreed to join the rest of SEDIV in recognizing ITO as a SARRC class in 2009. The updated 2009 ITO rules (requiring the forward braces and additional fuel cell/tank protection) were approved at the SEDIV Mid-Year meeting in July.