PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

tdw6974
08-29-2008, 08:30 PM
On the way back from NJMP Sunday had trailer tires shred. I never say it let go and i watch the mirrors all the time. for just such problem. We had one explode on 79 south bound to Beaver run No question when that let go. We suspect that picked up something and went flat. Had checked the tire pressure and set at 60lbs(should have been 65) Found some good information on trailer tires. A. should be set to Max PSI on tire. B Speed rating is 65 MPH!!! :blink: Outside temp at time was 86. Remember coming out of Summit on a labor day on 81 North bound going with the flow of track looked down and the Hemi was hauling at 85 MPH syas to self OH SH T This is way too fast if something breaks etc took a fair amount of time to get back down to 70 and then was getting some ugly looks from the left lane runners. Anyhow I got 2 tires today Carlisle st 225x75x 15 went to pickup and instead of Load range D he said he got us E load range for same price. Just run them on same side of trailer he says. I went to carlisle site the Mounted diameter is 28.2 for both tired width of D is 8.8 and E is 9.0 D max pressure is 65lbs 2540 load and E is 2830 at 80lbs. Any how aslong as we keep them on same side is this ok??? :shrug:

philstireservice
08-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Put one on each side of the trailer.

philstireservice
08-31-2008, 12:21 AM
on the same axle.

mlytle
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
then get two more for the other axle so you have matched ratings all around. trailer tires are very cheap insurance.

mowog
09-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Two words - Pressure Pro. This has saved my backside several times (towing 4 hours is considered short distance). I HIGHLY recommend it. On the way to Lime Rock a few weeks ago, I suddenly got an alarm for the LF wheel on the truck. I was doing at least 65 at the time. I slowed as quickly as I could, pulled over safely. The tire still had about 40 pounds in it (from 71 hot). The valve stem had broken, I'm guessing a rock hit it or something. Put on the spare, pulled off at the next exit that had service available, got the valve stem replaced for $20. A new tire would have been in the range of $150, plus mounting and balancing. It's so much nicer to have been able to get the valve stem replaced than trying to find a new tire or take the risk of travelling without a spare. I'm sure I would have had a full scale blowout if I hadn't gotten the alarm, and I shudder to think what might have happened to the truck, trailer, contents, etc. Yes, the Pressure Pro is expensive, but how much are you and your "stuff" worth? I started with sensors on the trailer, and added them to the truck the next season (the sensors make great birthday and other holiday presents!) :D

http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com/articles/pressurepro.htm?source=google&cp=pressurepro