PDA

View Full Version : 97 Integra GSR as an ITS car?

Eclipse2Lancer
08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Looking for opinions? Good, bad, indifferent? :shrug:

Have become a fan of these recently.....
This would be a build from scratch. Found one not "riced" up by a 17 year old like you typically see.

bamfp
08-28-2008, 09:55 PM
After helping my friend built one and getting to do a few laps in one. It is a very easy car to drive fast. But it is like driving an ITC car. It is all about momentum. It has zero torque to get you up hills. At Road Atlanta if the weather is right I think one could run a low 1:40.00 but it will still be over a second off the pace. And it will not be able to do it for very long since the front half of the car is 65% of the weight.

Blake Meredith

Xian
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
What Blake said ^^^^^

At the current weights, most ITS and ITR fwd'ers have difficulty keeping the pace over the course of even a sprint race. There are a few factors here... weight, power, limited tire width advantage over ITA/B cars.

If you like the 3rd gen Integra, look at building a non-vtec chassis for ITA.

Eclipse2Lancer
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
so probably a mid-pack ITS entry at best?

Thanks for the input!

Xian
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
It'll depend on the depth, prep, and talent in the field... I'd imagine that a full 10/10ths build will likely be better than mid-pack but I'd be surprised to see a podium finish out of one at something like the ARRC.

mmasters
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Drop me an email to [email protected]. We are currently running one in the ECR and have been for a few years. Much better than a mid pack car if you know what you are doing. The car always wins in the rain.

Mark

Eclipse2Lancer
08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
It'll depend on the depth, prep, and talent in the field... I'd imagine that a full 10/10ths build will likely be better than mid-pack but I'd be surprised to see a podium finish out of one at something like the ARRC.

Oh lord..... ARRC? I gotta crawl before I walk. :lol: But also wouldn't want to be DFL.

"...he don't even have a license, Lisa!" - Wyatt in Weird Science

JeffYoung
08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
The car has the numbers to be competitive, and I've seen a few that are fast. Zsolt's is quick, and Scott Seck's is supposedly real fast (it had a clutch failure at Daytona). Guy Marvin has a relative who run his at CMP last year and it finished third to Steve Eckerich and me with a new driver.

I've also seen one from the DC area run under 2:20 at VIR.

A balls out one I think has a good shot at tracks like Roebling or Lowe's that are power dependent and more flowing.

Definitely a top 5 car in a good field if done right I think, although Christian is right about torque tracks and tracks that work the brakes and front tires giving it issues.

Eclipse2Lancer
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
well I'd be coming from autocrossing an '89 Civic Si on street tires (okay....Bridgestones shaved real real low).....so hopefully some of that experience would translate to keeping momentum on torque-reliant tracks.

Xian
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Have you thought about turning the 89 Si into an ITA car?

Eclipse2Lancer
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Drop me an email to [email protected]. We are currently running one in the ECR and have been for a few years. Much better than a mid pack car if you know what you are doing. The car always wins in the rain.

Mark

you got mail.

.....I don't own the Civic Si....it's my friend's that he has me co-drive with him. He won't sell it to me. :lol:

Jeremy Billiel
08-29-2008, 12:35 PM
We are getting the setup dialed in on our GSR and when Greg drives it he can finish top 3, but like Blake and Christian said keeping the car consistent throughout the race is the challenge. We have been abusing front tires at alarming rates.

The GSR will not ever compete on a big road course like the ARRC against the BMW's, but at courses like Mid-Ohio it can be very competitive.

court76wi
08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm currently prepping a '97 GSR. Giddy-up! :happy204:

It's not the #1 ITS car from what I hear. But it's probably one of the best ITS vehicles considering its speed potential vs. the $$$ you'll invest in it. I doubt if I could find a roadworthy '97 BWM or Porsche with 140k miles for under $2200. I have a Honda CRX that I've autocrossed SM2 for three years that I have yet to break. Before that I had a '94 Integra that was pretty indestructible. Now of course this is road race, but I hope the reliability continues.

quadzjr
09-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I know that Scott Seck down here in the SE division has done fairly decent with his ITS integra. Unfortunately like ti has been mentioned earlier during the August daytona regional event the clutch blew up shatering the bell housing, seperating the transmission from engine, as well as cutting a nice hole into hes aluminum radiator. I beleive there was damage to the block as well.

Greg Amy
09-08-2008, 08:30 AM
LF Tire on our ITS 'Teg at LRP last month. Started feeling this about 18 minutes into a 45-minute race...

Mazmarc63
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I know that Scott Seck down here in the SE division has done fairly decent with his ITS integra. Unfortunately like ti has been mentioned earlier during the August daytona regional event the clutch blew up shatering the bell housing, seperating the transmission from engine, as well as cutting a nice hole into hes aluminum radiator. I beleive there was damage to the block as well.

Must not have been too bad. He is entered in the Daytona regional at the end of the month. Scotts car is beautiful and is nearly at 100% prep level. He is consistantly very fast but...

He can't keep the axles from coming apart. The latest thought is to run a cooling hose directly to the boot. Hope that works for him. Its always great to have him at the track. Should be an interesting weekend in ITS.

spnkzss
09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
LF Tire on our ITS 'Teg at LRP last month. Started feeling this about 18 minutes into a 45-minute race...

Is that a characterristic of the car or is that a characteristic of the car requiring that amount of camber to be fast?

Greg Amy
09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Is that a characterristic of the car or is that a characteristic of the car requiring that amount of camber to be fast?
Probably a bit of both, with the driver tossed in there to boot. We wear the outside of the tires at Lime Rock, the inside of the tires at NHMS, and even wear at NJMP (so far this year). We'll find out about Watkins Glen here in a few days. Regardless, this car loves to go through tires...

I'm pretty convinced the ITS Integra (actually, pretty much all ITS FWD cars) will need a further weight break to be consistently competitive with top-notch RWD ITS cars. I'm loathe to toss a lot of engine development $$$ at this car until I see someone run up front at the ARRC, IT Fest, or a similar gathering...

Xian
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Probably a bit of both, with the driver tossed in there to boot. We wear the outside of the tires at Lime Rock, the inside of the tires at NHMS, and even wear at NJMP (so far this year). We'll find out about Watkins Glen here in a few days. Regardless, this car loves to go through tires...

Out of curiousity... is it eating just the kook's? (assumption on my part b/c of the big Hankook sticker) Any better wear with Hoosier?

I'm pretty convinced the ITS Integra (actually, pretty much all ITS FWD cars) will need a further weight break to be consistently competitive with top-notch RWD ITS cars. I'm loathe to toss a lot of engine development $$$ at this car until I see someone run up front at the ARRC, IT Fest, or a similar gathering...

Yeah, I can see a really well sorted GSR laying down a single, smokin' lap but there's no way you can keep it fast for an entire race. :(

trhoppe
09-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm going to say that yore doing something wrong. You seem to be wearing the outside of the tire, which to me doesn't imply wheelspin or wear through the brakes. Since your car and my car weight exactly the same, I'm assuming we are going to be putting fairly similar load on the car through the corners (same weight, same suspension, same tires).

More camber necessary on that particular track?

Again, I can't see how your car, that would run 2 seconds faster on an almost 2 minute lap at Road Atlanta because of the power, could kill a tire like that, while my car heat cycles them out before it wears them out.

-Tom

spnkzss
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm going to say that yore doing something wrong. You seem to be wearing the outside of the tire, which to me doesn't imply wheelspin or wear through the brakes. Since your car and my car weight exactly the same, I'm assuming we are going to be putting fairly similar load on the car through the corners (same weight, same suspension, same tires).

More camber necessary on that particular track?

Again, I can't see how your car, that would run 2 seconds faster on an almost 2 minute lap at Road Atlanta because of the power, could kill a tire like that, while my car heat cycles them out before it wears them out.

-Tom

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but how do you tell tGA he is setting his car up wrong. :blink: :)

Andy Bettencourt
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
It sounds like the car needs track-specific set-ups. Wait...everyone is doing that already, right?

Given the lack of torque on the GSR, I don't see an appreciable increase in tire wear on the ITS car vs, the ITA car. Maybe under braking - from higher top speeds I guess.

What works on the A car should be a GREAT starting point on the S car, no?

Jeremy Billiel
09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
It sounds like the car needs track-specific set-ups. Wait...everyone is doing that already, right?

Given the lack of torque on the GSR, I don't see an appreciable increase in tire wear on the ITS car vs, the ITA car. Maybe under braking - from higher top speeds I guess.

What works on the A car should be a GREAT starting point on the S car, no?

I would say no. There is a large difference in power and you are trying to use more brakes in the S car than the A car. We have spent all year, three koni rebuilds and are still working on suspension improvements. The car is handling well. This perticular tire was defective IMO and should not be an indicator of the car.

HOWEVER, there is little doubt that this car is very hard on tires. How hard depends on which track and if they get to cool down on a long straight or not. We have been playing with tire pressures to get them in line, but you come in and take tire temps and go WOW! They are getting smoked...

The front tires are being asked to do a lot. More so that the ITA cars IMO. We have talked with many ITA drivers with setups and they are all struggling with the same issues up north at least. This has some to do with our tracks though...

SPiFF
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
The car is hard on tires, I will agree. Much more so then the ITA version *becuase* of the lack of TQ and high HP. We have to be in a lower gear at the peak of the power band to have any hope of not getting left for dead in most slow corners.

Now, I have not killed a front tire like that since the days I was running track days with an open diff and street-like springs. For me, the R6 wear has been very good. Even at notoriously tire eating circuits like Roebling. Not going to go out and say tGA is doing something wrong, but something isn't right from that pic. :shrug:

quadzjr
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Must not have been too bad. He is entered in the Daytona regional at the end of the month. Scotts car is beautiful and is nearly at 100% prep level. He is consistantly very fast but...

He can't keep the axles from coming apart. The latest thought is to run a cooling hose directly to the boot. Hope that works for him. Its always great to have him at the track. Should be an interesting weekend in ITS.

It was pretty bad I pulled a piece of the bell housing out of the radiator. I guess the block was alright. but the rest was a total lose.. He missed the frist race competley and the qualifying of the second due to a shorting O2 sensor that kept poping the computer fuse, but between me and chip we got it back together. we were so excited to see him make a lap.. then boom!

tnord
09-08-2008, 09:50 PM
The car is hard on tires, I will agree. Much more so then the ITA version *becuase* of the lack of TQ and high HP.

does this seem contradictory to anyone else?

quadzjr
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I thnk you can minimize the tire wear issue with car setup and driving style. However discrediting the car due to it's increase in tire wear in reference to the ITA becasue the increase in power is like discrediting a real time integra because of it's incrase in power..

Greg Amy
09-09-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm going to say that yore doing something wrong.
I accept that possibility; after all, we're still learning. However, this is but one symptom of an ongoing issue with this car (and, frankly, 18 minutes? You gotta be DAMNED good to tear up a tire like that in 18 minutes ;) ). - GA

dazzlesa
09-09-2008, 09:33 AM
was the tire new with no heat cycles?

dazzlesa
09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
i had this happen to me at nazarath during qualifying in a ssm with a brand new toyo. i changed the tire to one with heat cycyles for the race and the problem was gone. i think the fast corners and vigin rubber did not get along.
i never changed the set up on my teg.

trhoppe
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm kind of with Andy. Doesn't everyone run track specific setups already? I know my car has a good bit of change from RA to Roebling for example.

I'm also confused on how this car can be harder on tires. I know you are using the tire more during brakes, and more on the way out of the turn but we have the same amount of weight on the tire, and the exact same suspension through the turn. I also will use the tire MORE coming out of the turn as I have more torque.

Jeremy/Greg - feel free to email me about setup if you guys want to talk. Not sure how much I have to help, but my car sure has the setup nailed for Road Atlanta ;)

-Tom

trhoppe
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
He can't keep the axles from coming apart.

Guarantee the car is too low. The FP cars are holding their axles together, so its not a symptom of power. (hint: "IT height" is too low)

-Tom

SPiFF
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I also will use the tire MORE coming out of the turn as I have more torque.

I still think you are actually using less because you can be in a higher gear.

Either case, tire wear has not been a problem on my car since running ``The Trever Setup``. My tires heat cycle out or I turn them into different types of polygons long before they wear out.

bamfp
09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
When I set up Ivan's GSR, may it rest in peace, it was way above the 5" I think I had it about 5 1/2" to 6". If you vent the CV boots and do not slam the car on the ground you will have very limited axle problems. I also feel that good used axles with new boots are the best option. I feel that the new joints are tight and build more heat, were as the used on are worn a little bit and do not build as much heat.

Blake Meredith